ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 11th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Drg805
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Unhappy How to sell

I am trying to sell my 2006 ninja 250 because my mechanic says it needs a new engine. It has low miles, replaced the battery, tires, brakes, and oil. It idles fine but only fires on one cyclinder and wont go above 40mph. Mechanic told me a few months ago that the cam chain was loose and would start getting louder, but it never did. He doesnt know whats wrong with it but with a new engine would work fine. Not sure what to do with it now or how to go about selling it or parting it out. Wish I could fix it and ride it but the funds are not here now and making payments on a car so thats what I drive now. Any advice would help. I priced it at $1100 OBO on craigslist and have gotten a few inquiries, but it seems nobody in CA wants to buy it from me.
Drg805 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #2
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Any video of it running? If so up load it and let the ninjettes see if they can help figure out what is wrong.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #3
crimsondragon
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

You need a new mechanic. Any halfway competent mechanic would tell you that either he doesn't know or he does, not that a new engine will fix it. If it's an electrical or fuel issue, a new engine won't fix that. Check for the 3 things: fuel, spark, and air. First thing I'd do is pull the plugs and check that. You can verify spark by grounding the plug and seeing if it fires when you crank. Next check for fuel. You can take a whiff from the spark plug hole and see if there is fuel being delivered. Last check, if those two check out is compression. Screw in a tester and crank it again.
crimsondragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I mean, the only reason why you'd need a new engine is if obvious damage were to occur, such as, bad oil or trying to do improper maintenance.

I believe it can be fixed and ran properly. Don't give up so easily. You can do the work yourself, you just have to be willing to read up, follow some guides, and get your hands a little dirty. If I can do it, then anyone can do it.

Ask here if you need more help,

good luck

Old September 12th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #5
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

do a compression test?

Old September 12th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #6
afelotreyu
ninjette.org member

Name: Andre

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

engine is not seized, so is probably fixable, get a new mechanic or use the engine as a learning platform and take it apart and try fixing it yourself.
afelotreyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #7
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Tsk tsk no no bad mechanic.

Drain your fuel tank and refill it with fresh fuel. Drain your carbs float bowls. I have seen bikes not run on one cylinder because there was too much water in the fuel and it was actually building up in the carbs because it is heavier than gasoline, and the cylinder was not getting fuel. Water looks like ghost trails or swirls in gasoline.

Did you buy the bike like this? Or is this a new problem for you?

Replace both spark plugs and ignition coils.

Do a compression test.

Make sure the valves are within spec.

If your mechanic did all of these things and still says you need a new engine, press him, ask him WHY, what exactly is damaged. If he doesn't know, he needs to look further. If he says he doesn't know and doesn't care to find out, find a new guy. Your cam chain should have been fine if you have low miles on the engine and if there was at least a quart of oil in it. If your cam chain is getting loose and making noise, pull out your cam chain tensioner (there are good articles online for all this stuff btw) clean it with brake cleaner or acetone, and put it back in.

Let us know what you find out.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2014, 08:16 AM   #8
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Any updates? Have you found a new mechanic or tried any of the suggestions?

Many of the members want to help you save the ninja.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote