ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old October 24th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #1
crimsondragon
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Hailing from NJ

My name's Tim and I've lurked on here for a bit but I'm finally debuting my bike. I bought her when I was in VA Beach for the first 6 months of the year for work and went on craigslist one day to see what could catch my interest.

I scrolled through various listings until this bike caught my eye. It's a 2006 250 with, at the time, less than 4900 miles on it for $1500. I called the guy up, checked it out, and had it in my hands within the next hour, title and all. After de-flaming it, except for a couple key areas I felt set it apart, I rode it to and from work.

I went from spending about $50-60 at the pump a week to gas up my Jeep down to gassing it up once a month. Only time I rolled out in the Jeep was when it rained, shopping, or taking my dog to the vet.

I transfered back home to NJ in July to start a new job and retired her for the moment but usually when things sit around, I start modding it.

First thing I did was look into upping the rear suspension. I like stiff handling and at 160lbs, the bike felt too soft for me. I searched around on ebay till I found a Fox Racing GSXR Twin Clicker. I bid in a BO of $150 and got it the next week. I looked it over briefly. The remote canister was pressurized and I didn't see any obvious leaks so I left it as is and modified it to fit the bike. The spring it came with was a 500lb spring at 7". I changed it out for a Hyperco 475lb spring at 6". The install took a lot of filing down the top and bottom but was worth it. I set the preload, compression, and rebound and did a test run and it was exactly what I was looking for.

I then did a fender eliminator. I took it out and cut it flush with the rear of the bike. I installed turn signals into the tail lights, knocked out the center plastic and replaced it with clear, and I made a plate holder out of scrap aluminum I had. I reused the plate bracket, flipped it upside down and installed it on.

I debated on power increases, and went on ebay again looking for some sort of full exhaust. At first, I bought what was labeled as a 250 exhaust but only came with a midpipe and Muzzy muffler. I fought with the seller for a while and finally got a full refund. I debated ideas and decided to get a 1.25" two inlet collector that would feed into the 2" midpipe inlet. My plan was to cut up the stock exhaust and angle it them so it fed into the collector. The night before I started on it, I went on ebay one last time to check and see if I could score a Muzzy and lo and behold there was one for $200 shipped which I received 2 days later. I installed the system and to combat the fairing from melting, I laid down a strip of speed tape, followed by a strip of this header wrap I had laying around, followed by another layer of speed tape. Initial rides showed no melting at all.

I started her up and immediately knew she was running lean but not enough for it to affect idle. The temperatures around here are in the 50's to 60's. I tried to do a WOT and the bike died. Feathering the throttle managed to keep her from dying. After she warmed up, I noted that there was popping on coast and full throttle with struggling but mid range and cruising felt fine with a bit of popping. I decided to rejet.

I scoured ebay once again and scored a Dynojet kit for an 86-88 Ninja 250. I cross checked the parts list with the 88-07 kit and found that the 86-88 had DJ104s and DJ100s whereas the 88-07 had 98s and 94s. It also came with a main air corrector and some glue. Paid my $30 for it and had it in 2 days. I replaced the needles and went with #5 groove from top and changed the main jet to DJ104s which are slightly bigger than stock. At the same time I removed the idle plugs, and did 2.5 turns out.

I reinstalled the carb, did the airbox mod, and started her up. No choke needed and she was able to stay running when going WOT albeit a bit sluggish but that's to be expected on a cold bike. I hopped on and went for a test run. The popping has disappeared and the engine has smoothed out. I even managed to do a little wheelie by accident when I shifted into 2nd. Rode back to the house and did a final adjustment on the idle mixture for max RPM then lowered the idle to 1500. It's about 2.75 turns out on both.

Next season, I plan to change to Pirelli Sport Demons as these stock 630s are at least 7 years old and the rear tread is almost gone. Changing to a stiffer rear has really shown how soft the front is. I plan to go with some Racetech springs, emulators, and 15Wt fork oil. I also want to fine tune the jetting in much warmer weather. It sucks to jet without some real indication of how the bike is running so I plan on pulling the Innovate LC1 wideband out of my racecar and hooking it up to the bike and go from there. I also want to test out the main air correctors that came with the Dynojet kit just to see if it'll improve anything. I'm still on the fence about going with pods but if I do I'll go with Uni's. I'm on the lookout for Woodcraft rearsets and risers for cheap so if I can score them they'll go on the bike as well.
crimsondragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
crimsondragon! Glad to have you aboard...

Old October 24th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hola Tim!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #4
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #5
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Welcome Tim
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #6
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #7
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsondragon View Post
My name's Tim and I've lurked on here for a bit but I'm finally debuting my bike............
Welcome to our site, Tim !!!

We hope you will put similar effort on improving the rider.

Please, visit our Riding Skills section
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote