ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 4th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #1
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Name: Breh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Chain Adjustment Issue

So earlier today, I checked my chain slack and it was pretty loose. So I put it up on a rear stand, loosened the main bolt in the tire and tightened it up until the slack was about an inch, since I knew the spec calls for between .8 and 1.2.

Got it in spec, used a screwdriver to keep the slack still while I tightened the main bolt back up. So then I ride around some, get back home. Now when I check the slack it's super tight. There's next to no slack in the chain, as if I tightened it too much.

Before I went to ride around, the slack was perfect. What happened?
z0sum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Some parts of the chain are looser than others. Rotate it around until you identify the tightest spot of the whole thing, and adjust to that.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:07 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Watch this video - http://canyonchasers.com/video/howto/chain.php
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 5th, 2016, 09:51 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Nancy really knows his stuff!

Old August 5th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #5
z0sum
ninjette.org member

So I checked the slack again today. The last I rode was yesterday. When I checked the slack now it's sorta okay again, if anything now a little on the loose side, but fine overall. I did spin the wheel to feel the slack change a little, but it seemed way better than yesterday, when it seemed to have no slack after riding a bit. This is a little confusing, what's happening?

Old August 5th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #6
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Chain warmed up since you rode it? Did you check it right after a ride?

Might have some old lube creating a sticky spot. chain might need a good scrubbing with kerosene and a chain brush.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #7
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Chain warmed up since you rode it? Did you check it right after a ride?

Might have some old lube creating a sticky spot. chain might need a good scrubbing with kerosene and a chain brush.
Yes I checked it right after a ride and it was tight. Just rode it a little more and it seems as the bike warms up the chain gets tighter. Is that normal?

Old August 5th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0sum View Post
Before I went to ride around, the slack was perfect. What happened?
First, verify that there is no appreciable play at the pivot points of the swing-arm.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Servicing_the_swingarm

What keeps the rear wheel from sliding back and forth in the swing-arm is the torque of the axle bolt rather than the adjusters.

If the axle is loose, the wheel could move slightly forward under acceleration and slightly aft under rear braking.

Tighten the axle bolt to 80 ft-lb (108.4 N-m) with the torque wrench on the crown nut and another wrench keeping the head of the bolt from rotating.

If you can, use a helper to hold the bike, kick the tire forward at the beginning of tightening and push both wrenches forward at the end, so both adjusters are fully under tension, with no longitudinal play.
Your slack should be consistent that way, as the wheel is as forward as the adjusters allow it to be.

Then, verify that the alignment of front and rear tires is more or less correct.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2016, 03:40 AM   #9
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

I have had the same experience on the 300, which I think has the same rear suspension. The recommended 20-30 mm is too tight, even if you measure on the tightest part of the chain. 20 mm is definitely too tight.

I am adjusting the chain less tight now, there was a thread about the pregen recommending 35-45 mm, which is about where I'm at.

It seems unlikely that the chain could get tighter when warming up. I would expect the opposite, that the swing arm would heat up less than the chain so you get more slack, not less. Assuming they are similar materials, steel in both cases.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2016, 06:18 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0sum View Post
So I checked the slack again today. The last I rode was yesterday. When I checked the slack now it's sorta okay again, if anything now a little on the loose side, but fine overall. I did spin the wheel to feel the slack change a little, but it seemed way better than yesterday, when it seemed to have no slack after riding a bit. This is a little confusing, what's happening?
I would re-check it again.

Get the wheel up in the air and locate the tightest spot - take note of where the valve stem is. That's the most important point, and the place to start.

After you have set the slack properly at that point, check every 90 degrees to see how much it changes. If the change is excessive it means there is an issue with the chain or sprockets and it may be time to replace both.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 6th, 2016, 06:23 AM   #11
CrazyCanuckGoat
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ZX12R (sold), 2012 250R, 1975 Honda XL250, 1980 XJ650

The pregen spec is with the bike on the centerstand. Newgen specs are for both wheels on the ground on the sidestand. Don't use a rear stand (spools), your chain will end up too tight just like this situation.
CrazyCanuckGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.