ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

What will you be doing to your bike this weekend?

Any projects you want to share? A while back, my dog decided to bust my rear seat cowl. She knocked it off my shelf and it fell and broke off a corner. I epoxied it back together last night. This weekend, I'm going to play around with it . I'll be skinning it with real carbon fiber. I don't ride with the cowl since I prefer the back seat on there, but if I like how it turns out, I may put it back on . I'll post pics when it's done. I hope I get enough time to finish the project this weekend.

What will you be doing?

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #2
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

Playin with my fender trying to fix a bad cut I made and clean/lube the chain and maybe polish her up a bit.

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #3
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Ummmm RIDING
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #4
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

wife bought me a battery tender, great set up like the "battery tender" with wall unit, but a Shumacker for $19.99. Had the last shumacker for 7 yrs. until my 220 Volt post the other day. so i'm a wee bit grounded, just enough to let her think she has a say, yah mean? Also picked up my golden spectro and uni filters for both ninjas and will drop my earl.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #5
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
will drop my earl.
John, I don't want to sound mean, but sometimes I feel like I need a Batman decoder ring to figure out what you're trying to say. LOL

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #6
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

swapping old bt45 rear for new b45 rear. good to go for another 15k
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Rebuild forks, install Ohlins Rearshock, install preload adjusters, replace grip, custom side tank grip, and upgrade clutch/brake MC levers. Oh and clean & lube chain. Possibly change front brake pads too.

Would have been nice to get that 415 chain conversion and do that too.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #8
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Sounds like you'll have a busy weekend Nemesis!

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

probably clean and lube the chain and give the bike a bath. And of course ride if at all possible
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #10
noobie
ninjette.org member

Name: me

Motorcycle(s): 250r

besides normal weekend checks like tires/fluids...

change air filter
wash bike
ride her
noobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #11
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Wash and ride...
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #12
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Well...
Got up yesterday, and completely washed and waxed the bike...usual routine.
Got the wrenching bug, and decided to adjust my shifter lever down, because its just too darn high from the factory for my long legs and seating position.

Took off the shifter, and adjusted it, and figured since I had it off, I might as well pull the sprocket cover and clean out any road grime and chain lube that was in there.

While I had the sprocket cover off, I checked my sprocket.....turns out I need a new sprocket. The teeth are starting to hook....which will also mean a chain change.

Soooooooooooooooo.

Looks like Ill be doing a sprocket and chain swap this weekend.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #13
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

Just dreaming about it as it has been in the shop for two weeks now getting the carbs rebuilt. It's killing me I bought it about a month ago and have only been able toget it out a few times. When I do get it back it will be running right though and ready for the road!
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #14
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Put 'er to good use.
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #15
Bo0stZomb13
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Pack her and strap her down with the chocks and canyan dancer then off to fl!
Bo0stZomb13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #16
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
Playin with my fender trying to fix a bad cut I made and clean/lube the chain and maybe polish her up a bit.
I found out the hard way as well whitey, dremels don't do fenders. I had the lines drawn on both ends for bobbin' them and all but .... as you said.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #17
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Bah. Forgot my niece's first communion is tomorrow. Most of the family will be there so no joy on the carbon fiber for me

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #18
jaso
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 kawasaki ninja 250r

sprocket change

Ok 2008 250r, changed front sprocket out for 1 tooth less. I was told that I would see a big difference in low and mid range that would be pleasing. I was also told that the top end would come down from 100 mph to about 80 mph. My bike runs very strong and has low miles on it still. But after change out on sprocket I got a totally different out come. Its was slower in low and mid range. And top end I could still hit 100 mph. The rpms always seem to be in the 10 thousand or higher after each shift as if im missing the power band now. Has any one else done this and what was your out come. There is nothing wrong with my bike it just feels slower all together? Please post
jaso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #19
jaso
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Bah. Forgot my niece's first communion is tomorrow. Most of the family will be there so no joy on the carbon fiber for me
Best profile picture yo, u rock!!!!

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #20
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I will be (should be) building a shed for my bike and the wife's bike. We finally got our driveway poured last Thursday or Friday, and we have been able to drive on it since this Tuesday. I love it! So nice to have a drive after 12 years of gravel and dirt. Now to just wait for the rest of the road to get finished over the course of the summer.

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #21
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Installing a full race CF 12" Area P, Installing pods, and jetting
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaso View Post
Ok 2008 250r, changed front sprocket out for 1 tooth less. I was told that I would see a big difference in low and mid range that would be pleasing. I was also told that the top end would come down from 100 mph to about 80 mph. My bike runs very strong and has low miles on it still. But after change out on sprocket I got a totally different out come. Its was slower in low and mid range. And top end I could still hit 100 mph. The rpms always seem to be in the 10 thousand or higher after each shift as if im missing the power band now. Has any one else done this and what was your out come. There is nothing wrong with my bike it just feels slower all together? Please post
I'd move this discussion over to one of the sprocket threads rather than here. But generally, most people change the ninjette's gearing to be taller rather than shorter. It's already very short from the factory, and gearing it up a tooth in front seems to make the bike slightly calmer at high speeds without hurting performance much at all. (i.e. moving to a 15-tooth instead of the stock 14. Not many people go from a 14 down to a 13). In fact, some people are happy with gearing as tall as 15 front and 41 rear.

Here's a link to a pretty detailed thread about sprockets, but search on "sprockets" and you'll find a bunch more as well.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Indeed. Going down in the front and up in the back is pretty much for parking lot stunters to make off-the-line wheelies and such. Top speed isn't affected but RPM at that speed and how much "pull" it has at a specified RPM *IS.*
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #24
jaso
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I'd move this discussion over to one of the sprocket threads rather than here. But generally, most people change the ninjette's gearing to be taller rather than shorter. It's already very short from the factory, and gearing it up a tooth in front seems to make the bike slightly calmer at high speeds without hurting performance much at all. (i.e. moving to a 15-tooth instead of the stock 14. Not many people go from a 14 down to a 13). In fact, some people are happy with gearing as tall as 15 front and 41 rear.

Here's a link to a pretty detailed thread about sprockets, but search on "sprockets" and you'll find a bunch more as well.
Thanks for the post back and the links, really appreciate it. Im new at all this forum stuff and get lost on figuring out were to post, but im catching on slowly lol. Well I turned the fuel mixing or idle screw up about half a turn and now she's a scremer. Big difference in power now. I like and recommend this mod but its up to everyone else to make this choice, plus im a novice, so what do I know. Man one turn of a screw and I got a different bike, I love it. Thanks again, taking this talk to sprocket link.

Last futzed with by jaso; May 20th, 2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #25
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Thanks for the post back and the links, really appreciate it. Im new at all this forum stuff and get lost on figuring out were to post, but im catching on slowly lol. Well I turned the file mixing or idle screw up about half a turn and now she's a scremer. Big difference in power now. I like and recommend this mod but its up to everyone else to make this choice, plus im a novice, so what do I know. Man one turn of a screw and I got a different bike, I love it. Thanks again, taking this talk to sprocket link.
Hope it isn't just compensating for you not wanting to rev it higher yourself.

It should be about 1,400 RPM at idle when fully warmed up.

Last futzed with by CZroe; May 21st, 2011 at 09:50 AM.

Old May 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #26
jaso
ninjette.org member

Lol, no not compensating :-). I have my idle at about 1600 rpm's fully warmed up. But my manual said idle should be in the 1250 to 1350 @ temp for an 2008

Old May 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM   #27
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
lube the muffler

Old May 21st, 2011, 09:51 AM   #28
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Lol, no not compensating :-). I have my idle at about 1600 rpm's fully warmed up. But my manual said idle should be in the 1250 to 1350 @ temp for an 2008
Yeah, it's right. I meant to say 1,400. :P

Old May 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
ummm riding ftw!

Me and my brother road the kids around for about 4 hours. Sad to admit we were a bit squiddy. (put all the good gear on the kids) Was a nice slow, easy ride. Put my hugger on before the ride. Wow! what a difference in dirt on the underside.

Bro road the pregen, I rode the 2010. Time to clean up the ladies and tend to the the chain and carbs of the pregen. She idles a bit high fully warmed up.

Can't wait to ride his kids around, less squiddy next time though.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2011, 06:18 PM   #30
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

hrmm...
traded the 250 in for a Versys...
Started the tear down on the Ducati to convert it to a track only bike...

Old May 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM   #31
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I will be (should be) building a shed for my bike and the wife's bike. We finally got our driveway poured last Thursday or Friday, and we have been able to drive on it since this Tuesday. I love it! So nice to have a drive after 12 years of gravel and dirt. Now to just wait for the rest of the road to get finished over the course of the summer.
Awesome news, I understand that one. How long of a drive and how much did that cost? I have always wanted to do that but haven't got any quotes yet.
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2011, 07:22 PM   #32
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Our drive is roughly 100 feet. The entire road, which is being paved by my wife's uncle (since he owns the machine shop and is doing reasonably well), is somewhere around 3/8 of a mile.

Our cost on the driveway was substantially less than it otherwise would have been, because we got a deal due to the entire road eventually being paved. My wife also got a bonus of sorts from her aunt and uncle (the machine shop people, whom she works for) so that further reduced the cost. Our final total for the 100 foot long, 12 foot wide drive was roughly $1800. The actual cost was closer to $3000.

I don't even want to think about what the entire road will cost. You can actually see the gravel road in the YouTube video I posted under the same user name. Basically, the camera bounces up and down a lot until I get to the end. We will be finishing up the shed tomorrow. I will be taking a video of the driveway and shed sometime later in the week and I will post it on YouTube.

Old May 21st, 2011, 11:51 PM   #33
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Didn't get to install the jet kit and exhaust so I'll just be rocking it stock again at the track tomorrow for parade laps.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:40 AM   #34
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

The CF was a bust. I got some sort of bubbling from the weave. I think I might have squeegeed too much epoxy off. I'll have to strip it and retry it this week.

Old May 24th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #35
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

track the shiat out of it.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #36
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
track the shiat out of it.
Where are you headed! I wanna come too.

Old May 24th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #37
rceezy
Lean Me

Oh and I might wash my bike this weekend. She is a dirty girl.

Old May 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #38
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Dumped half a bottle of seafoam into the tank over the weekend and the bike ran like garbage today. I guess I'll be tearing into the carb this weekend.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote