ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old January 27th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #1
terasu12
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesus

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

large backpack to store gear?

I would like recommendations for a large backpack with enough room to fit different combinations of bulky gear that I use like my leather jacket, full length boots, and my forcefield harness flite.

Most likely just the leather jacket, knee guards, and maybe pant.
terasu12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
The Icon Squad II backpack, which I have, has straps on the outside to hold a jacket. Decent amount of room inside to hold things like pants and leg armor. Also has a drop down helmet pouch if your helmet fits. I never got to use it since my helmets never fit in it so I can't give an opinion on that feature's usefulness. If you get it in a hi-viz color, then you get the bonus of extra visibility.

I also have an Rush 72 assault pack by 5.11 that holds an absurd amount of stuff. Not motorcycle specific, but maybe it'll be useful to you. Since it has spots to attach things, you could get creative to strap down more things onto the pack. I'm really not kidding when I say that it can hold an absurd amount of stuff
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #3
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Maybe try Kriega R25 or R30 or R35? It's a rider specific backpack and the ergonomics are fantastic. They are a little pricey, but they are super comfortable to ride in. I have the R20 and some of them are hydration ready and you can also put a back protector in them (sold separately) if you are concerned about things like that too. They also have waterproof bags you can add onto your backpack, if you need that or more room. Here's a link... Kriega Motorcycle Backpacks
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

A good size backpack will have about a 28-30 liter capacity, which is about the same size of a small duffel bag. I think backpacks are good for a lot of small stuff, but bulkier heavier items make them uncomfortable (especially if overstuffed).

The cost for some of these new motorcycle back packs are crazy, but to each his own. I went the cheapo route. Worked out just fine for me. If I need to carry a lot of bulkier stuff, I opt for a tailbag instead of a backpack.

Tailbag on the Cheap

My tailbag is nothing more than a nice size, quality duffle bag (that I had for years) that is held down tightly on the passenger seat by 2 flat bungees and a reflective safety belt. If ridden 4+ hours and it didn't hardly move. There was enough stuff in that bag and my tank bag for a 3 day weekend trip. I also use a cheap water proof back pack cover to help protect it from water. The duffle bag itself is also rain treated.

Ogio Duffle Bag (29L capacity)-free
Bungee Cords- $5
Reflective Safety Belt-free
Back Pack Cover- $5
Total Cost- $10 (compared to $100+ for a tailbag or backpack designed for a motorcycle)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duffle Tail Bag.jpg (16.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Duffle Tail Bag (1).jpg (14.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Duffle Tail Bag (2).jpg (17.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Duffle Tail Bag (3).jpg (9.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Duffle Tail Bag (4).jpg (14.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Duffle Tail Bag (5).jpg (13.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Duffle Tail Bag (6).jpg (14.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Duffle Tail Bag (7).jpg (15.5 KB, 0 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #5
terasu12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
The Icon Squad II backpack, which I have, has straps on the outside to hold a jacket. Decent amount of room inside to hold things like pants and leg armor. Also has a drop down helmet pouch if your helmet fits. I never got to use it since my helmets never fit in it so I can't give an opinion on that feature's usefulness. If you get it in a hi-viz color, then you get the bonus of extra visibility.

I also have an Rush 72 assault pack by 5.11 that holds an absurd amount of stuff. Not motorcycle specific, but maybe it'll be useful to you. Since it has spots to attach things, you could get creative to strap down more things onto the pack. I'm really not kidding when I say that it can hold an absurd amount of stuff
thanks both are excellent suggestions, I like the look of the rush 72 assault pack. I was open to the idea of using a large non motorcycle specific backpack to save $$ but that RUsh 72 pack looks really high quality.

Old January 27th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #6
terasu12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Maybe try Kriega R25 or R30 or R35? It's a rider specific backpack and the ergonomics are fantastic. They are a little pricey, but they are super comfortable to ride in. I have the R20 and some of them are hydration ready and you can also put a back protector in them (sold separately) if you are concerned about things like that too. They also have waterproof bags you can add onto your backpack, if you need that or more room. Here's a link... Kriega Motorcycle Backpacks
Kriega packs look awesome but too close to $200 for me. I bring myself to pay so much for a backpack.

Old January 27th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #7
terasu12
ninjette.org member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
A good size backpack will have about a 28-30 liter capacity, which is about the same size of a small duffel bag. I think backpacks are good for a lot of small stuff, but bulkier heavier items make them uncomfortable (especially if overstuffed).

The cost for some of these new motorcycle back packs are crazy, but to each his own. I went the cheapo route. Worked out just fine for me. If I need to carry a lot of bulkier stuff, I opt for a tailbag instead of a backpack.

Tailbag on the Cheap

My tailbag is nothing more than a nice size, quality duffle bag (that I had for years) that is held down tightly on the passenger seat by 2 flat bungees and a reflective safety belt. If ridden 4+ hours and it didn't hardly move. There was enough stuff in that bag and my tank bag for a 3 day weekend trip. I also use a cheap water proof back pack cover to help protect it from water. The duffle bag itself is also rain treated.

Ogio Duffle Bag (29L capacity)-free
Bungee Cords- $5
Reflective Safety Belt-free
Back Pack Cover- $5
Total Cost- $10 (compared to $100+ for a tailbag or backpack designed for a motorcycle)
Thats a good and roomy set up. I going to start looking for a nice duffel bag that matches my bike. Yes motorcycle backpack prices are crazy!

Old January 28th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #8
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
They may be crazy prices, but think of longevity, you get what you pay for.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #9
terasu12
ninjette.org member

Does any one have any experience with the Ogio No Drag Mach 5?

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #10
terasu12
ninjette.org member

I ended up getting the 5.11 rush 72 backpack.

Pros-
- good quality, durable material
- Does not look too out of place as a college backpack if not full.
- waist and chest straps to secure while riding/walking.
- Can be used as a travel/college/riding backpack, very versatile.

Cons-
- slightly heavy, due to quality of material.
- filling it to capacity makes you look like a hiker/camper
- Have to unhook blanket/sleeping bag "compartment" to open main compartment.

First backpack over $80 that I've bought, but I am very happy with it. It's a quality pack. I think you can still find them on sale for $135-140 right now.

Old February 11th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #11
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
@terasu12 You can tuck away the waist straps if you want since there are pockets to do that. You also don't absolutely have to unbuckle the straps to access the main compartment depending on what you're putting in/taking out and how loose you leave the straps. I rarely unbuckle those straps and I mostly use it for school.

Now you can play games of "How much stuff can I possibly cram in this backpack?"
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #12
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Check out the Kreiga backpacks. I have the R25. i ****ing love it. best backpack evar. Just the other day i ran into a Harley guy at tacobell who asked me what it was and literally bought it on the spot with me standing there talking to him lol.

http://www.revzilla.com/kriega
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #13
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

I'm not sure if you need weather-proofing, but Chrome makes some really nice, high-capacity bags. I've hauled around two gallons of Orange Juice, eggs, and various other groceries in mine. They have both backpacks and messenger-style bags with x-straps, for extra security.

On the downside, carrying that much on your back on a motorcycle can get a bit sketchy, depending on how you load and wear it. I second the notion that a tail pack may be better. Some of them come with straps to make for easier carrying off the bike.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #14
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

ditto on the kreiga, got the R30, worth the investment. Fits great, doesn't put any stress on the shoulders, waterproof claim is legit, and lots of space.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote