ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #1
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Walk on the Beach = Tar Patties

We only only live a few blocks from the beach, asked the wife if she felt like taking a walk down there to see whats going on. At first everything was looking OK....... until you look a little closer.
All the brown things in the pictures, are little tar patties. They get all over your feet/shoes/boots, brakleen takes it off the best. < So dont pick any up, pretty hard to get off your fingers
They say the slick is just off the coast, maybe those ships in the one picture have Kevin Costners machine on board
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1.JPG (131.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg B2.JPG (137.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg B3.JPG (193.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg B4.JPG (194.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg B5.JPG (255.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg B6.JPG (239.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg B7.JPG (235.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg B8.JPG (155.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg B9.JPG (137.8 KB, 5 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #2
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Gawd that is awful. I love the beaches at Pensacola too, its such a shame this has happened
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #3
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Yeah, is pretty sad. Now if you want a nice romantic walk on the beach, you have to remember to do it in your rubber boots.

Old June 16th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #4
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Cant wait till it gets to our beaches! Maybe the prez will come here and close pretty much the main east-west route down for a day!!
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #5
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

It's only a matter of time till it makes it to our side of the state. I've heard they they have found a few small tar balls randomly in Miami, but I don't know if it's true. Regardless, it'll be here all too soon.

Old June 17th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Cant wait till it gets to our beaches!
Can you guys get to the beach in Mary Esther? Other than the sound(that looks like property/home owners), I think Eglin AFB owns the real beach/strand past there.......

Old June 17th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #7
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Curious, is there anything you can do with those? Do they burn? Spread a layer out in the drive and cover with gravel to make your own asphalt coating?
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #8
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

My GF and I went to a BP sponsored training program for coastal cleanup (the spill is still 150+ miles away from here) and I asked the instructor about what they do with that "weathered" oil and tar balls that are picked up, ie. , do they burn them as fuel for energy or anything. He told me they don't even burn, you have to heat them up to 1500 degrees before it will burn. And, off the cuff he said, "you could take it home to patch your driveway, but don't tell anybody I told you so."
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #9
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

How sad...
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
And, off the cuff he said, "you could take it home to patch your driveway, but don't tell anybody I told you so."

So that means there going to dry up and get hard?? I'll grab some up next time.... if theres is a next time. Sucked having to clean that crap off feet/boots. Atleast dog crap comes off with the hose

Last month there were some days we had the smell of the burning oil. OMG what a horrible smell.

Bob, you see this pic of Okaloosa island
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 153.jpg (52.1 KB, 6 views)

Old June 17th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Tragedy for sure.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #12
bob706

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Can you guys get to the beach in Mary Esther? Other than the sound(that looks like property/home owners), I think Eglin AFB owns the real beach/strand past there.......
Eglin does own the beach that would otherwise be in Mary Esther.

Quote:
Bob, you see this pic of Okaloosa island
Wait till that sh*t get to Sandestin/30A - the pretty people will lose the flippin minds. If it get into the sound then we're done

Old June 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #13
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

From what I have read...if you're caught cleaning the beach up on your own, you'll be arrested. You have to be "trained" and hired by BP and be on an official cleanup crew to be cleaning the beaches. BP wants the oil, every last drop of it that they can get because it's money. Everything they collect gets cleaned and refined and gets sold.

Again, I am going on reading, so who knows how accurate the source is, but I have even seen on the news where people were being arrested for trying to clean up the beach.

Old June 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #14
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

It is horrible tragedy but looking to the silver lining, at least it is pure unrefined oil, which makes clean up much easier, the Valdez in Alaska was refined and that makes in much worse it would be like pouring old motor oil on the beach. Still sucks though

Old June 17th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #15
HKr1
IC2(SW)

There saying you will get arested trying to clean the stuff up on your own. Noticed this post on a local forum, she also mentions the worthless BP clean up crew:

Quote:
SEND HELP NOW!
I am in Navarre FL. My life revolves around the ability to have guests at the beach. I am a condominium manager. In my spare time, I do beach weddings.
The tar balls and sheen are here. They rolled in yesterday evening. There are tar balls the size of my hand and bigger. There is more in the water. Our water is crystal clear today. You can see the tar balls on the floor of the gulf. They don't float on the top but kind of float along the bottom. They are also being found on Okaloosa Island this morning.
We have been told we can not clean up the mess ourselves. I say, "WHY NOT?" So this morning, I grabbed my kitty litter scooper and a plastic bag. I got out on the beach about 8am. The contractors for BP came out and got moving about 8:30. There were 11 people. They seemed to be taking shifts working. It was hot and this is understandable. Lord knows, I was sweating. I had the advantage of wearing a swim suit and could get wet to cool off. This group of BP workers were on the water line today (a first compared to the past few weeks). They left at 10am. In that time, they cleaned a 20 ft area. After they left, we (I recruited help) went to where they were working. They had used a rake and raked the tar balls back into the sand. Also their footprints were smashing tar balls into the sand. We cleaned that up too. In those 2 hours that I had been out there, we covered a 200 ft area, twice. Of course they are going to keep coming, but at least we did our part. If everyone out there who is complaining came out with a trash bag and kitty litter scoop, we could work on staying ahead of it.
Last night, the President said he would deploy the National Guard. I say, " Get after it!" I would welcome the National Guard with arms open. That is a wonderful idea. Because these contractors are not working out. As disappointed (using the term loosely) as I am with BP, I feel they should know that the contractors they have hired are screwing them out of their money. They are gonna need every dime to fix this mess. There is no need to keep this useless contractor on the payroll.
Someone told me I could be arrested for picking up tar balls. I request, anyone seeing me get arrested for cleaning the beach, take video and call an attorney that wants face time on tv to come and bail me out.

Old June 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #16
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Iam pretty old, but I dont remember this happening before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-4oooyqe_8

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #17
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Imagine if the current leaking oil well, was.. THE LAST OIL IN THE WORLD

Watch how fast the worlds best scientist and engineers create new "clean" means of fuel and all that good stuff!

The end of Oil companies! :clap:
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #18
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

You know the exxon valdiz oil spill whipped out 40% of the killer whale population in the region of the spill, and they have yet to be restored. When nations turn their back on god and make money their god, blessings begin to deminish. It has just begun!
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #19
bob706

Quote:

That one was probably Bush's fault too. That ************!

Old June 17th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #20
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:

I believe that is the oil spill my dad always talks about, I could easily be wrong, I know that it was pre-1985. He used to work for Sonat Offshore drilling when we lived in Houston, Texas. He told me that there was a huge spill in the gulf of Mexico that was due to a company drilling wells but never kept track of where exactly they were drilling. A huge accident occurred and it started spilling oil into the Gulf. Sonat eventually was the company that found the specific site where the oil was spilling and capped it.

BTW, the company that was the cause of the 1979 oil spill, Sedco, is part of Transocean who is the company owned Deep Water Horizon offshore drilling rig. It also figures that Sonat was also sold to Transocean in 1996.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #21
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
That one was probably Bush's fault too. That ************!
The old one, or the older one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
I believe that is the oil spill my dad always talks about, I could easily be wrong, I know that it was pre-1985. He used to work for Sonat Offshore drilling when we lived in Houston, Texas..
I kinda thought and off shore job would have been pretty cool. We worked for these guys: http://www.bjservices.com/website/in...S?openframeset for a little bit....... right before going into the Navy