ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #1
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

$!#@* door to door sales

How do you deal with door to door salespeople, other than the local kids for school fundraisers (which my wife and I do support)? Today I had a couple of younger people (mid 20's I guess) asking for money for care packages for our troops overseas, which is a noble cause, so I said hold on, I'll grab the checkbook. I immediately Googled the company and it's a for-profit company, but they had a pretty lousy website with no contact info - Freedom United Sales. I also saw a crime alert article from another local city about these people. I went back outside asked them for their county and city solicitors permits. Naturally they didn't have any and asked where to get them. I told them that's not my problem and to get lost as I'm calling the cops. I don't like being a d!ck but jeezus, I've had at least 5 door to door people in the last 4 months ring the doorbell even though I have a fairly big "No Solicitors" sign on the door (if you're a solicitor and there's a sign on the door it's a misdemeanor in Apple Valley if you knock or ring the bell). None of them had the required permits. With all the scams going on, who the heck does door sales anymore? I must be getting crabbier as I get older....
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I just pretend I don't speak English.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #3
kkim

Anything that doesn't seem immediately legit, I get rid of them by being very curt. I assume at that point they are there to case their next potential robbery/theft.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
here's how it goes for me:
*open door*
"hello sir i..."
*close door*

of course that's only if a can't identify them as a bible salesman or girlscout through the peep hole... in those cases the door doesn't open in the first place.

Old July 17th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Out here in BFE, we dont have door to door sales mens. I did have a fellow walk up to our house (about .5 miles off the road) one day, he got "Hi how ar................." before he noticed the shotgun I had in my hand. He apologized for interputing and left. I assume if a stranger is coming to my door, its to either hurt my family, me, or steal. I dont risk it You people in rural areas I feel sorry for.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #6
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

This is how I deal with door to door sales people: Unless I'm expecting someone, I don't even answer the door.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #7
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

I tell them I lease. This confuses them and they leave.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I have had a few people bug me at my door. I am a stone throw away from putting a "no soliciting" sign at my front door. I never answer my door with out my .45 pistol. I always try to play it safe these days.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #9
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

I never open the door.
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #10
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
I assume if a stranger is coming to my door, its to either hurt my family, me, or steal. I dont risk it You people in rural areas I feel sorry for.
This.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJ View Post
This is how I deal with door to door sales people: Unless I'm expecting someone, I don't even answer the door.
+1
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #12
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

If it's someone I know and care to actually speak to, they have my phone number. I don't answer my door. Someone can literally see me through the window, and I'll just walk away, trying to quiet my dogs barking at the same time.

If someone calls my phone and it's an unrecognized number (opr a work number), I don't answer it. If it's important enough to talk to me about, it's important enough to leave a voicemail.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #13
wtfh4xx

Quality logic here ^
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!

Old July 17th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #14
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Ya, I need to quit answering the door. Even with the "No Solicitors" sign people still hit the doorbell, which absolutely drives my dog insane. I was just doubly ticked of because I had my fat arse snuggled in the couch with a cold brew watching the ballgame.

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #15
SES2009
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
How do you deal with door to door salespeople
With my boomstick... That's how
SES2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #16
wtfh4xx

Win ^
2010 SE 250R!

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #17
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Wow...

I'm more than happy to open the door for someone. I won't buy what they're selling, but I've had many a good chat with people.

Same goes with phone. I don't have call display, so I pick up for everybody. This one time a marketer calls me trying to sell me his companies phone. After a nice hour of conversation of the politics and business of moving jobs over to India versus here in North America, he finally ended the call by saying he had to go to the next person, but thanks so much for the delightful call!

If you come to my place, I'm gonna start a conversation with you! Then again, I also live in Canada where I apologize if you step on my toes.

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #18
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SES2009 View Post
With my boomstick... That's how
If I answered the door with the Ruger Mini-14 I'd probably have the cops show up in no time. Don't want that hassle .

Old July 18th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #19
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

I wish I got more kids selling the local chocolatier's stuff for fund raising. I miss selling that stuff and buying some for myself.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #20
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post
Wow...

I'm more than happy to open the door for someone. I won't buy what they're selling, but I've had many a good chat with people.

Same goes with phone. I don't have call display, so I pick up for everybody. This one time a marketer calls me trying to sell me his companies phone. After a nice hour of conversation of the politics and business of moving jobs over to India versus here in North America, he finally ended the call by saying he had to go to the next person, but thanks so much for the delightful call!

If you come to my place, I'm gonna start a conversation with you! Then again, I also live in Canada where I apologize if you step on my toes.
thats pretty much it...that why people love Canadians worldwide but US folks sometimes get a bad rep. Nothing personal against you guys though...
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #21
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Wow...

\

When I read the OP I thought exactly this.... I answer my door for anybody. Im not worried about home invasion, murderers, thieves etc. Then again, if I'm not in a mood to talk or be polite I simply dont answer the door.

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #22
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I'm not "scared" to open the door, as even though I'm tall / lanky, I HAVE been trained to kill by the Marine Corps, AND kill / save in my job...

I just hate people. They're stupid and annoying.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #23
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
I'm not "scared" to open the door, as even though I'm tall / lanky, I HAVE been trained to kill by the Marine Corps, AND kill / save in my job...

I just hate people. They're stupid and annoying.
I don't think anybody insinuated you were "scared". My comment was with regards to the assumptions that people sre there to hur you/your family or casing out you house...or the comment about answering the door with a 45 (although I assumed this comment was a joke)

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #24
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Open the door, say "Not interested" and then slam it shut.

If I'm workjing in my garage I just yell "Go away!" and don't even look up.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #25
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkson View Post
I don't think anybody insinuated you were "scared". My comment was with regards to the assumptions that people sre there to hur you/your family or casing out you house...or the comment about answering the door with a 45 (although I assumed this comment was a joke)
I'll take the liberty of speaking for him. No, no joke. I think its actually quite funny that you thought it was a joke. I dont answer the door with a firearm as a habit. But certain times, when something just doesnt feel right, I will open the door with a Glock 19 in my hand, tucked behind my back/thigh. You know, just to ensure all parties mind their manners and p's and q's.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #26
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
I'll take the liberty of speaking for him. No, no joke. I think its actually quite funny that you thought it was a joke. I dont answer the door with a firearm as a habit. But certain times, when something just doesnt feel right, I will open the door with a Glock 19 in my hand, tucked behind my back/thigh. You know, just to ensure all parties mind their manners and p's and q's.
You live in the US and I live in Canada. We don't have guns. Actually, I dont even know a single person who has a gun other than maybe a hunting rifle.

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #27
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
You live in the US and I live in Canada. We don't have guns. Actually, I dont even know a single person who has a gun other than maybe a hunting rifle.
You may not have guns in Canada (which is incorrect, many Canadians do own guns) but your certainly have home invasions.

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/b...cs-canada.aspx

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #28
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You may not have guns in Canada (which is incorrect, many Canadians do own guns) but your certainly have home invasions.

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/b...cs-canada.aspx
My statment of "We dont have guns" was a facetious one. We do (obviously) but between me, my friends, and my group of coworkers we didnt know a single person with a handgun.

I never even suggested that we dont have home invasions. Unfortunately, the term "home invasion" is not one you can dig up reliable statistic on a smost home invasion's end up being robbery, b&e, rape, assault etc charges.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
Few statistics are available on home invasion as a crime, because it is not technically a specific crime in most states. Statistics about home invasion found on the Internet are often false and/or misleading.[7] Persons arrested for what the police or media may refer to as "home invasion" are typically charged with such other crimes as robbery, kidnapping, homicide, rape, or assault charges.

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #29
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

wow, i live in the US and in a very clue collar type town. I don't answer my friggin' door with a gun in hand. I enjoy shootings guns and have a few but good god. Are your neighborhhods that bad that you greet a door to door salesman with a 357?
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #30
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

If they are of the opposite sex (or same sex for those interested) invite them in for sex. 99.7% of the time they will leave.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #31
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Assassin View Post
wow, i live in the US and in a very clue collar type town. I don't answer my friggin' door with a gun in hand. I enjoy shootings guns and have a few but good god. Are your neighborhhods that bad that you greet a door to door salesman with a 357?
The funny thing is that the criminal element looking to case a potential target isnt usually casing the bad neighborhoods, they're casing the middle/upper class neighborhoods. Criminals in general may not be overly intelligent, but they function on a predatory mindset, and a predator will always gravitate towards the weak/incapable. Many nice neighborhoods are filled with sheep just waiting to be sheared completely clueless of their surroundings and totally incapable/unwilling to defend themselves.

Does the possession of a firearm guarantee a homeowner's safety? Obviously not. But the lack of a firearm DOES gaurantee that your safety and well being will be totally up to the whim of the bad guy.

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #32
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
If they are of the opposite sex (or same sex for those interested) invite them in for sex. 99.7% of the time they will leave.
Generally a win/win proposition - either they go away or you get unexpected free sex. However, the one time that the 58 y.o. 280 lb lady shows up to your doorstep and says "yes" is the time that will ruin all the other good outcomes you may have experienced up to that point.

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #33
dubojr1

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Generally a win/win proposition - either they go away or you get unexpected free sex. However, the one time that the 58 y.o. 280 lb lady shows up to your doorstep and says "yes" is the time that will ruin all the other good outcomes you may have experienced up to that point.
Yeah... occasionally you have to modify your strategy on the fly.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #34
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Tell them "get lost and don't come back." then shut the door. No reason to be nice when they're invading your privacy, especially disregarding the sign. If it's a misdemeanor in your county, call the cops.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #35
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

I have a barking vicious looking German shepherd who comes the door with me and my 40 smith and wesson. Y some may ask? Because bad things happen when u are not expecting it and I do what I can in my power to prevent it or deter it. Bad guys are smart now days and look and prey on the weak and clueless. I'd much rather be rude and prepared than sry or dead any day. Normally just the GSD will work but the gun makes me feel safe. He'll il probly never use it in defense. I hope atleast.

Last futzed with by whiteboy; July 18th, 2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Dam iPhone auto correct
whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #36
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
My statment of "We dont have guns" was a facetious one. We do (obviously) but between me, my friends, and my group of coworkers we didnt know a single person with a handgun.
Too true. I've lived in Nova Scotia, Ottawa and Calgary, never knew a single gun owner.

Old July 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #37
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I have had a few people bug me at my door. I am a stone throw away from putting a "no soliciting" sign at my front door. I never answer my door with out my .45 pistol. I always try to play it safe these days.
.357 mag for me
i don't go to the mailbox w/out it
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #38
randy328
CMRA Mini Endurance #6

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): CBR954, CBR600RR, EX250

I have my 130 pound German Shepherd carry my pistol. Best of both worlds.

Kidding aside, I live out in the country, and I do have a big German Shepherd. I'm also in law enforcement, so there are guns all over the house. Most salesmen won't even come up on the porch when the pooch starts barking at them.
randy328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #39
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Too true. I've lived in Nova Scotia, Ottawa and Calgary, never knew a single gun owner.
we just don't hear about it as often with them being so restricted...theres plenty guns floating around in the wrong hands.

I disagree with Canadian gun laws because they make it much harder for those who are legally interested in owning guns while not going after the real criminals. The ones who acquire them illegally keep doing what they're doing while legitimate owners put up with the brunt of BS gun legislation. Getting a handgun here legally is more of a hassle than its worth, but if I really wanted I could get one a lot easier off the street...
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #40
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I actually had a number of younger folks running around from various "security system" places knocking on doors. One day I answered the door to a young man and woman. The started with "Hi, we noticed that you don't have a sign in your yard stating that you have a security system. Do you?" Obiviously the hackles on my neck stood up and I responded "that's none of your damn business". The quickly came back with "we just want to ensure that you are protected". I kind of wanted to ensure they knew that no sheep live in the vicinity so I quipped "I am well protected. You are the one's that should be worried about protection. Are you aware of the state's castle law?" They obviously did not but quickly moved from my premesis. I have seen a few other pairs strutting the streets around here and they haven't come back since

At least they didn't appear to be deadbeats and at the least had uniforms on but I don't take any chances. Thus is the reason my 1911 answers the door with me, every time. Am I the paranoid freak out in middle class suburbia? Nope. I live in El Paso.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote