ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Test Driving SV650s, and FZ6

I've been looking into purchasing another bike and have narrowed it down to a 2009 FZ6 and a 2008 SV650s. I have heard great things about both bikes including from many on this forum so I'm exciting to test them out. I sat on both at the dealership and the SV felt very comfortable probably because the size was similar to my jette. The FZ felt very foreign. It felt tall and top heavy. I have grown to love the jette riding position, and if anything I could increase the lean angle just slightly. The FZ felt too upright and the SV felt a little too aggresive for me. Either way I think I may end up making some bar/clipon adjustments.

I will update tomorrw after I have a chance to ride both with my opinions on the ride.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Timon
ninjette.org member

Name: Timon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250R

I actually just purchased a 2008 FZ6 and I absolutely love it. You're right it feels a little off or "foreign" at first, but once you get use to it you'll realize it's a very comfortable ride. It also has a few extra horses compared to the SV650 (FZ6: 97, SV650: 74 - those numbers might be a bit off, but now too much). Everything on the FZ6 is so much smoother than my pre-gen. I like how precise the shifts are, how much easier the clutch feels. The riding position is pretty similar to the Ninjette being at an upright position instead of leaned forward. It only ends up weighing about 50 lbs more than the Ninjette, but packs a much larger punch. The larger tank does feel awkward as well, especially when full. Fuel injection makes starting a ton easier (I'm not sure if the SV650 has this or not). You'll notice the throttle is extremely touchy until you get the hang of it.

Timon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM   #3
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Congrats on the new bike she's gorgeous. I've searched countless forums and youtube vids and come to the realization that I will be happy with either one after getting used to it. The SV is fuel injected as well so thats good. I guess so far I really like the fact that it felt a lot like my ninja only a little more aggresive. On looks alone I prefer the FZ but it would take more adjusting I think. But I do feel like the FZ will be a better fit for my needs as I am 90% commute which is half highway 75mph plus and half 2 lane twisties/country roads. 60 miles a day roundtrip would probably be more comfy on the FZ but either would do just fine. I'll ride both tomorrow and just go with my gut and which I can get a better deal on.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Maybe you should look into an FZ6R. My friend has one and we swapped bikes and i could completely flat foot it (i cant do it as easily on the ninjette as i can the fz)
It felt as if i were riding the same bike except with a crap ton more zoom zoom.

Im not an extremely experience rider but i could flick it just as easily as i could flick my ninja.

Oh and the seat, OH THE SEAT, was so comfy compared to my stock one
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Timon
ninjette.org member

Thanks!

I was also looking at an SV650, but never actually test drove one. The FZ6 just looked so much better to me, and it still offers the option to lean all the way in if I need to (especially since I'm a shorter rider at only 5' 6"). I'd would highly recommend testing both out on the freeway. This is where the FZ6 really showed its colors. It can maintain higher speeds so much easier than the Ninjette, especially 75 mph while still providing an extremely comfortable ride. Not that my Ninja couldn't maintain the speed, it was just harder to adjust for cross winds, hills, and navigating traffic.

I agree with you, just test both and take your pick on which one feels right. There's a lot of differences like the V-Twin (SV) vs the inline 4 (FZ), and keep in mind after market parts if you plan to do any mods such as hard cases, exhaust, etc.

Best of luck with the pick though, let us know what you get!

Old May 24th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #6
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Get the SV & add some bar risers. I test rode a 2008 before I got my 650R...sweet bike, but the riding position was too similar to a ZX6-R for my taste. Didn't feel like fooling with new bars since I knew a 650R would fit me perfectly. And...it had a small crack in the fairing. But the ride was sweet. Two-Brother's exaust sounds UNREAL on that V-Twin.....something to keep in mind if you get one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue SV650S.jpg (137.6 KB, 24 views)
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #7
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Get the SV & add some bar risers. I test rode a 2008 before I got my 650R...sweet bike, but the riding position was too similar to a ZX6-R for my taste. Didn't feel like fooling with new bars since I knew a 650R would fit me perfectly. And...it had a small crack in the fairing. But the ride was sweet. Two-Brother's exaust sounds UNREAL on that V-Twin.....something to keep in mind if you get one.
The dealer had a 2011 650r there also and I sat on it but and it felt the most awkward to me of the 3. I don't want to spend the money for a 2012 650r and the prior models dont inspire me. How do you like yours? How does the parellel twin compare to the ride of the vtwin to you?

Old May 24th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #8
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

The 650R & SV650S are very comparable in power...within a few HP of each other. The SV had a meaner growl, but most of that is attributed to the Two Brother's exhaust on the SV vs. stock on the 650R. I sat on a few bikes, & rode the SV...then dropped by the Kawi dealer and sat on a used 2009 650R and it felt like home. Mine's a 2007, but everything about this bike fits me to a "T". But that's why there are so many different bikes on the market. Everyone finds something different to be comfortable.

There was too much forward lean on the SV for me, which can be fixed with bars, but I didn't see the point in doing that. I MAY have bought it if the fairing weren't cracked, but I opted to just keep trolling Craigslist for my heart's desire. The biggest favor you can do yourself is to take your time and sit on a lot of different bikes. Something you throw your leg over will speak to you, even if it's not on your original list.

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #9
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Just came accross a 2009 FZ6R with 6000 miles for $3500. Seller is desperate to sell and he is the second owner. Says he went down on grass and scratched up the right side of the bike. Based on the price of replacement plastics this price still seems way to cheap to be for real. Is it just me? Am I asking to get mugged showing up with cash on this deal?

What do you guys think?

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #10
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

It's probably legit, and you'll find out why it's so cheap when you see it in person. Rarely will you encounter someone that's willing to leave a lot of money on the table, so the bike likely has an issue - or 5. If it's not a huge distance away, go look at it.

I've found out a few times that one person's 'scratch' is another person's 'gouge'. I found a blue 650R on CL a while back that was described as 'lightly damaged', but the pictures looked like it had been tied to a pickup and dragged down the street. It's all about interpretation, but seeing is believing.

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #11
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
It's probably legit, and you'll find out why it's so cheap when you see it in person. Rarely will you encounter someone that's willing to leave a lot of money on the table, so the bike likely has an issue - or 5. If it's not a huge distance away, go look at it.

I've found out a few times that one person's 'scratch' is another person's 'gouge'. I found a blue 650R on CL a while back that was described as 'lightly damaged', but the pictures looked like it had been tied to a pickup and dragged down the street. It's all about interpretation, but seeing is believing.
You are probably right. The guy has sent me video of startup and walk-around and half a dozen pictures. Looks like it took a high speed slide on a soft surface. Shallow scratches along the contact points on the bike too deep to buff but too shallow to pay to repair I guess. It's about 3hrs away from me and I'm not sure I want to deal with repairing a bike but it could be worth looking into i dunno.

Old May 24th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #12
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Just finished my test rides and here are my thoughts:

SV -
Pros: OMFG!!! that thing was so torquey. I know its cliche at this point to make this observation about this bike, but even with high torque expectations I was still blown away. Once the dealer fired it up in the parking lot, the sound alone almost scared me off from riding it but after the first mile I felt very comfortable cornering and clutch/throttle control. Precision is a must because very minute throttle inputs give loads of pull. The smile on my face when I returned completely blew all of my leverage in a price negotiation

Cons: Riding position. While the agressive position made corners fell very natural, I don't know how long I could ride in that position without becoming permanently stuck.

FZ - Super comfortable, I could ride for hours on it. But after riding the torque monster minute earlier, the smooth inline 4 felt extremely tame. Even when I did rip the throttle open I felt underwhelmed by the power. Don't get me wrong, I could tell that at speed this thing will accelerate incredibly fast, but to use a practical example: it felt as though in order to go from 30 to 70 quickly I would need to really open the throttle. Whereas on the SV just a flick of the wrist would have me there in no time in just about any gear.

I came away from it still unsure. Before leaving the dealer talked me into going back tomorrow to test ride a 2011 ninja 650 they have in stock. And a late entry into the sweepstakes is the FZ6r. Its looks are growing on me and it fit me really well. The riding position was more in the comfy side but still has a nice sporty feel. Still lost but damn that was fun...

Old May 24th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #13
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I'd go for the SV. V-twins are just too fun.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #14
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Thinking about my testride of each its worth noting that the SV had a yoshi slip on and the FZ had the stock can. That FZ stock can was definately too quiet for me and that is coming from someone who rocks a stock can on the Ninjette with a Yoshi slip on sitting in my closet.

Funny side note, after I left Danbury Powersports I stopped at a gas station where the clerk asked me if my bike was a Ninja 1000. I asked him what he rode and he said he had a CBR1000. I was a little curious becuase this kid looked like he just went through puberty so couldn't have much experience. I asked him why he wasn't riding today and he said that he took a turn too fast and his bike was at Danbury Powersports for repair. Said his first bike was a CBR600 which is his favorite bike but he had to get the 1000 because he couldn't keep up with his friends on the highway He said he could keep up on the street but only if he maxed all of his gears

This kid couldn't have been more than 18 and no offense to the younger crowd because kids like this give the rest of you a bad rep...and raise your insurance rates as well.

Old May 25th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #15
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Unfortunately, it sounds like he's destined to become a statistic before he ever learns to ride that monster he bought.

Old May 25th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I would skip the fz6r, I think it's on the low end of all the bikes you are looking at. The SV is a low end torque mo ster as you found out but runs about 20 hp less then the fazer. The fazer was my choice for a 600 street bike and I have 0 complaints about it, I love how it looks and I like the power curve, one thing to keep in mind is the fazers use the 03 r6 engine so a lot of the torque is still up top in the rpm, I like this as below 7.5 you get smooth constant power, take up to the power band an it's an entirely diffrent bike. I also live Yamaha engines, damn things are nearly bullet proof.

You will not go wrong with any of those bikes that is for sure. The 3.5k for the used fz6r is about right, here in so cal dealers are asking 5k new for them so if you go for that one show up with 3 grand and I am sure you will be able to get it.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #17
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
I would skip the fz6r, I think it's on the low end of all the bikes you are looking at. The SV is a low end torque mo ster as you found out but runs about 20 hp less then the fazer. The fazer was my choice for a 600 street bike and I have 0 complaints about it, I love how it looks and I like the power curve, one thing to keep in mind is the fazers use the 03 r6 engine so a lot of the torque is still up top in the rpm, I like this as below 7.5 you get smooth constant power, take up to the power band an it's an entirely diffrent bike. I also live Yamaha engines, damn things are nearly bullet proof.

You will not go wrong with any of those bikes that is for sure. The 3.5k for the used fz6r is about right, here in so cal dealers are asking 5k new for them so if you go for that one show up with 3 grand and I am sure you will be able to get it.
Wow, over here they are much more expensive new. Or rather the list prices are much higher, not sure if they're selling though. I think I'm going to end up going with the sV. I just had too much fun on that bike to not go back to it. Some bar risers will definately be in order though.

Love the look of the FZ just didn't enjoy my test ride. The engine felt a little too smooth to me. The friction zone on the clutch was quite narrow, but within that zone the power delivery was very smooth and consistent so slow speed maneuvering was actually much easier than on my jette. That was a nice surprise.

Old May 25th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #18
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Is that the usual price range for the FZ6R? I've been looking at craigslist ads and I've seen a couple for $5-6k.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #19
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Is that the usual price range for the FZ6R? I've been looking at craigslist ads and I've seen a couple for $5-6k.
I see the same prices here 5-6k but I bet the 09-10 are actually selling $4200 to $5000

Old May 25th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #20
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

From what I hear, the FZ6R is an even more tamed FZ6. They retuned the same retuned R6/FZ6 engine to provide more low end grunt like the V-twins in the class have.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #21
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Got It!!!

2007 SV650S picked up today!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0588.jpg (127.3 KB, 20 views)

Old May 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #22
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #23
Timon
ninjette.org member

Nice to see you made up your mind. I'm sure you'll enjoy it just as much as the FZ6. I wish I had spent a bit more time trying a few other bikes, but when I test drove the FZ6 is just fit completely (minus I had to shave the seat).

I just installed a brand new Leo Vince exhaust on mine and modified the air box and now it seems to have a ton more growl to it and the power band seems to have adjusted a bit lower too, which is nice. I also modified the headlights so both have the low beam on (I absolutely hated the look of only one headlight being on for low beam).

Let us know how you like the new bike. I'm curious to hear how it compares to the Ninjette once you're accustomed to it.

Old May 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #24
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

So far I have only taken a short rip through town and a mile on the freeway. There's a lot to get used to but once im more comfortable this bike is going to be a blast. The most noteworthy early impression is the HEAVY engine braking. Coming to a traffic light at 40mph in 2nd gear a roll off the throttle will bring the bike down to 15mph pretty quickly. Snapping off the the throttle will significantly upset the chassis. Much less braking needed.

Old May 27th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #25
Timon
ninjette.org member

Same thing I noticed with the gearing in the FZ6, the engine brakes are insane. Keep in mind (and I know this is hard given the amount of stopping power without ever touching the brakes), always make sure if you have vehicles behind you that you still press your brake slightly when slowing. Being on a motorcycle, we already stop much more quickly than cagers, but adding to that ability is both a blessing and a curse.

Old May 28th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #26
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
2007 SV650S picked up today!!!
Looks good

How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?

We need to go riding sometime, you'll have to show me your new skills
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #27
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
Looks good

How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?

We need to go riding sometime, you'll have to show me your new skills
I got it for $3900, and have since tacked on another $500 in mods! Frame sliders, bar risers, lowered OEM seat, integrated mirrors, and shorty levers.

Flushed the brakes, changed the oil, and next up a new set of tires. We should definately go for a ride soon. Let me know when you are in town again.

Old May 30th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #28
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
I got it for $3900, and have since tacked on another $500 in mods! Frame sliders, bar risers, lowered OEM seat, integrated mirrors, and shorty levers.

Flushed the brakes, changed the oil, and next up a new set of tires. We should definately go for a ride soon. Let me know when you are in town again.
Sounds great, definitely will let you know when I'm around!

Old May 31st, 2012, 07:27 AM   #29
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Sounds great, definitely will let you know when I'm around!
Love the tail box btw! Which one did you get?

Old June 1st, 2012, 08:53 PM   #30
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
Love the tail box btw! Which one did you get?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...2&postcount=23

Kappa K46.

It's a pretty large box. Can fit two full face helmets.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:54 AM   #31
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...2&postcount=23

Kappa K46.

It's a pretty large box. Can fit two full face helmets.
yeah that is big. I have been looking for a box to use for my work commute. I usually carry my laptop, pants, shoes and a couple of miscellaneous items in a bookbag on the passenger seat. I'm wondering if I can get by with a 30L box what do you think? Could I get a bookbag with 15" laptop in a 30 or even a 26? I figure even if I have to place it vertically or diagonally that would be okay. Something like the Givi E30 or E260

Old June 4th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #32
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
yeah that is big. I have been looking for a box to use for my work commute. I usually carry my laptop, pants, shoes and a couple of miscellaneous items in a bookbag on the passenger seat. I'm wondering if I can get by with a 30L box what do you think? Could I get a bookbag with 15" laptop in a 30 or even a 26? I figure even if I have to place it vertically or diagonally that would be okay. Something like the Givi E30 or E260
Pretty sure it would fit in a 30L. I think they can fit a whole helmet in there. 30L is still a pretty decent amount of space. I decided to just go all the way and get the biggest size I could because I knew I'd regret not having the space later.

I believe the smaller ones are taller vs wider like mine is.