ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old May 27th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Timon
ninjette.org member

Name: Timon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250R

New FZ6

So some of you may have seen I purchased a 2008 Yamaha FZ6 in Raven Blue (600cc sport touring bike), and so far I'm loving it. Everything on the bike seems a lot better built (not that the Ninjette is going to fall apart or anything), it just feels a lot more smooth and particularly precise (which is a huge thing lacking in the 250. The added power is extremely nice along with the aesthetics of the bike. I really like the "naked" look, even though it hasn't quite caught on in the states yet, but apparently has in a lot of other places around the world. The freeways really aren't too much of a nuisance to me anymore given the extra stability of the bike at higher speeds.

I was really torn between this bike and an R6, but I settled for this one given the similarities between the Ninjette and the FZ6 in terms of riding position and comfort. The FZ6, despite being a little bit heavier, still maintains quite an amount of flick-ability to it that reminds me a lot of the 250. Really to me, it feels like the Ninjette's older brother or something (despite the fact that there is the 650R). I actually pulled the seat off and sat it next to the 250 seat and they are nearly identical in shape, size, and form.

Of course, I've started modifying the bike to give it a custom feel. I first started off by shaving the seat slightly (yes, I'm short). The second thing I realized I needed was tank grips, so I added TechSpec Gripsters to the side of the tank (to save my balls - literally). I've also done a fender eliminator, Xenon bulb headlights, modified the wiring to have both left and right lights on for low beam (U.S. versions stock only have the left side on). I finished off by modifying the air box (very similar to how I modified the Ninja's air box), and brand new Leo Vince SBK pipes.

I still plan do do a tinted double bubble windscreen, probably some flush mount signals, LED rear tail light, and definitely some new tires in the near future. I'll probably end up getting a Power Commander (air/fuel remapping system for the fuel injection to help smooth out the power with the new exhaust and modified air box).

I'm really looking forward to getting some good riding in as soon as it stops raining around here. I already had to buy a new cover for it due to the nasty rain that won't go away.

I'm still unsure of what to do with the Ninjette... maybe keep her around? Seems kind of pointless having two bikes in a wintery state (if we didn't have winter I'd probably only own a car for transporting more than two people). I guess we'll see what happens, but she does need new front fork seals.

Before anyone says it... (sorry none of the pics include the new exhaust).

Of course I couldn't leave the Ninjette all cold and alone.

Timon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #2
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

fz6 to r6 is like

en-6r, ninja 650, versys 650 to zx6r

looks like a praying mantus

i think the mirrors and front faring make bikes look like insects
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/lair

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #4
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
fz6 to r6 is like

en-6r, ninja 650, versys 650 to zx6r

looks like a praying mantus

i think the mirrors and front faring make bikes look like insects
Well, mostly! The FZ6 is still an inline 4; actually the same engine in the R6, detuned. On the flipside, the Ninja 650(ER6F)/ER6N/Versys all share a Parallel Twin engine whilst the ZX6R's have inline 4's!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Timon
ninjette.org member

Name: Timon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
/lair
Alex,

Hey now, it isn't ex if I still own both, now is it?

Not to mention it still has pictures of the Ninjette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Well, mostly! The FZ6 is still an inline 4; actually the same engine in the R6, detuned. On the flipside, the Ninja 650(ER6F)/ER6N/Versys all share a Parallel Twin engine whilst the ZX6R's have inline 4's!
Exactly, it isn't so different than an R6.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

All threads about new non-ninjette bikes that members buy go into the lair. Every one of 'em.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote