ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 10th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #1
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

finally got caught...

yeah i have done it countless times...crossing the double yellow line on the bike to go in the carpool lane on the 405 freeway here in los angeles...

so traffic is backed up on the freeway and decided to cross the double yellow and go in the carpool lane...soon as i go in a chp cruiser on the right lane was flashing his lights and told me to get off the freeway...thought about running but common sense got the better of me...might have gotten away or wind up on tv...

my first ticket in like 10 years...so i have several questions...lawyer, fine, traffic school, on line, insurance hike, etc.?...anybody out there know the ins and outs?...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitoy View Post
yeah i have done it countless times...crossing the double yellow line on the bike to go in the carpool lane on the 405 freeway here in los angeles...

so traffic is backed up on the freeway and decided to cross the double yellow and go in the carpool lane...soon as i go in a chp cruiser on the right lane was flashing his lights and told me to get off the freeway...thought about running but common sense got the better of me...might have gotten away or wind up on tv...

my first ticket in like 10 years...so i have several questions...lawyer, fine, traffic school, on line, insurance hike, etc.?...anybody out there know the ins and outs?...

Pay the fine, do online traffic school and you should be good to go, no insurance hike if you do the school.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

good thing you didnt run lol but do as jeff said

Dont miss your court date if you fight it, trust me, not fun trying to make sure you dont have a warrant out lol

Old January 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #4
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

now that i think about it, when everybody started slowing down, i was afraid that i was going to be rear ended and i wound up going on the clear lane which is the carpool...

i don't know why i did not mention it to the chp...maybe i was just flustered getting a ticket after such a long time...i think i will fight it and i got a link that helped...

http://ticketassassin.com/docs/forms.html

Old January 10th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #5
jasle
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09Ninja250, Ducati Monster 800ie, Harley FXSTS,Rebel 250,CR144,KX85,RM85L

get prepaid legal. they fight these things for you...but you gotta have it 30 days before ticket. too late now.

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What was the ticket written for? Crossing a DY? Traveling in the carpool lane inappropriately? Carpool tickets are supposed to be non points-paying, but they are just expensive. A DY ticket does come with points.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #7
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Name: Aditya

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

Quote:
might have gotten away or wind up on tv...
oh jeez. there goes your opportunity to become famous.

Kidding. Good that you took the sensible option.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #8
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What was the ticket written for? Crossing a DY? Traveling in the carpool lane inappropriately? Carpool tickets are supposed to be non points-paying, but they are just expensive. A DY ticket does come with points.
alex, he wrote me for crossing into HOV...

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Let me share a little story:

I think it was about 2 yrs ago when I got two tickets in one year (had a perfect record for 12 or 14 yrs...something like that). 1st one was for speeding which I took traffic school to clear my records and the and 2nd for what I thought was a citizen in need of help. Long story--see it's B.S. like this that I hate cops. So, I decided to fight the 2nd ticket.

Anyhow, everyone that was there to challenge their tickets got reamed by the judge for their lack of proof/argument/etc. One girl started to throw an attitude with the judge and the judge raised her penalty fee to what one would normally pay.

He then said, "The next person who argues & wastes my time with insufficient proof, etc. will get the maximum penalty fee and not be offered to take traffic school!!!"

And guess who was next?

They called my name and the officer's, and dammit the LEO's shows up. After the LEO gave his side of the story, it was my turn...I had planned out my argument and strategy to win the case but after hearing what the judge had to say (I blame that stupid girl!!) I had to go to plan B. I looked at the judge and said, "Your honor, I'm not going to contest the officer's testimony and will accept any penalty fee you feel I deserve. However, I would like for your honor to know that I was led to believe a citizen was in need of help and my honest intention was to do just that...help."

The judge looked at me and smiled. He said, "I sense that you're being sincere & truthful. Would you like to take traffic school to clear this off your record?"

HECK YEAH!!!...I mean, HECK YEAH, your honor.

The end

Moral of the story: If you're gonna lie make darn sure you believe the lie to be the truth and look sincere doing it.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #10
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Go to court, I doubt the cop will show. They never do.

Old January 11th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Go to court, I doubt the cop will show. They never do.
Never say never

Old January 11th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #12
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2109 View Post
never say never
220px-Never_Say_Never_Single.jpg
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #13
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

This showed up in a thread on ZX6r.com today lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadude1134 View Post
that seems like the obvious conclusion...

follow my logic here:

kevin=justin beiber...
almost every girl <3's justin beiber...
end result: almost every girl <3's kevin

i.e. looking like justin bieber is a blessing (see above) and a curse (you still look like justin bieber)...

:laugh

Old January 11th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #14
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

NMA

You may want to join the National Motorists Association. They give you (or, at least they did 5 years ago) a legal kit to fight tickets when you join.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #15
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

UPDATE!

this has been going on for several months and i just got back from traffic court and i won...woohoo...ticket has been suspended and i am getting my $480 back in a couple of months...

i tried TBWD and got back a guilty verdict...i doubt if they even looked at my explanation...i think all are rubber stamped as guilty...anyway it bought me some time and with postponement it went to 6 months...

about half of the officers never showed up and tickets were dismissed...i was hoping my officer will not be there but no luck, he had three cases that day...bummer...

so i got off by claiming my violation for crossing the double yellow line was a safety issue...traffic was at a stop on the freeway and when i slowed down there was a car barreling behind me...told the judge i would have been squashed if i did not swerve in the carpool lane...

lesson to be learned?...guys fight your tickets!...

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #16
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
UPDATE!

this has been going on for several months and i just got back from traffic court and i won...woohoo...ticket has been suspended and i am getting my $480 back in a couple of months...

i tried TBWD and got back a guilty verdict...i doubt if they even looked at my explanation...i think all are rubber stamped as guilty...anyway it bought me some time and with postponement it went to 6 months...

about half of the officers never showed up and tickets were dismissed...i was hoping my officer will not be there but no luck, he had three cases that day...bummer...

so i got off by claiming my violation for crossing the double yellow line was a safety issue...traffic was at a stop on the freeway and when i slowed down there was a car barreling behind me...told the judge i would have been squashed if i did not swerve in the carpool lane...

My girl just got a red light ticket from a Cam with video... How do I fight that??? Same way she'd been crushed had she not gone thru??? LOL
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #17
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

$480 fine?! That is more than my recent speeding ticket. And I lol'd that you considered running from CHP. Probably the stupidest idea you could have.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM   #18
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

just got a check from the superior court for $405...wtf?...i paid $480 for the ticket and they refunded me $75 short......i suppose i should be glad i am getting most of it back...

anybody know what is going on?...did they charge me some sort of fee?...

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:23 AM   #19
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Awesome that you got out of the ticket gitoy! I was not so fortunate for a speeding ticket. Did TBWD built still guilty. Wasn't worth my time, literally, to fight in court since it was in Mojave County.
Not sure what happened with your $75 though. Court fees?
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM   #20
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Cool

Quote:

This just bothers me.... lesson learned it to lie to the court? If you were man enough to commit the crime/infraction/whathaveyou, then you should be man enough to own up to it.

I got a ticket years ago due to a speedometer malfunction. The needle would stick at 55 until I got up to 70 or so then would jump to the correct reading. Since i rarely drove on the interstate, I never noticed the sticking. Anyway, the cop was nice (we talked guns and such on the roadside), but I had indeed been speeding. Went to court, told the judge my speedo was malfunctioning but that I had been speeding. He reduced the fine and cut to two points. After it was over before I left the stand, I praised the officer for being very professional and friendly. The judge said he'd never heard of anyone doing that before and thanked me.

Being nice never ever hurts. If you don't want to go to court, don't speed. If you choose to speed, you will eventually get caught. Choose to tell the truth.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:53 AM   #21
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

On a side note, being that lane splitting is not illegal in CA, am I allowed to split on the double yellow from the lane right of carpool? And if so, couldn't that be used as an argument in gitoy's case?
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM   #22
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

it is not illegal to split lanes between the carpool lane and the 1st lane, which of course is the double yellow line...i have seen motorcycle cops do it, other bikers do it, and i also do it...

Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:34 PM   #23
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

If they try to nail you for going into the HOV lane with a motorcycle, they are violating federal law. However, a double yellow is a different thing. They don't have those around here around HOV lanes. Glad you were able to set them straight.