ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 16th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #1
Christofeser
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, Yamaha Dragstar 125

FI/Fan problem - could be big

I've noticed that my FI (Fuel Injection) light comes one at silly times, and I've narrowed it down to when the fan is on.

The temp. guage does not seem to rise as it should, the bike will be warm but the needle is still in the "cold" zone.

The fan, also, seems to come on at silly times - like 5 minutes into the ride, and occasionally goes off when I give it some gas (my guess is that the fan is not needed at speed, and so the fan goes off, meaning the light goes off)

Anyone shed any light?

Chris
Christofeser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Not having an FI model, but from looking at the schematic in the past. I would guess at looking at the temp sender, it does the temp gauge and signal to the ecm. Do the normal, checking connections and what not.

I didnt notice if it did codes or not.......... dont have the FI manual in front of me.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #3
Christofeser
ninjette.org member

I think it does do codes, not quite sure how to pull em though.

My mechanics going to have a look at it...

Chris

Old December 17th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #4
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

the loose wire in the boot is the diagnostics port, a kawi dealer can plug that in and see what the code is.

Old December 18th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #5
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdajackal View Post
the loose wire in the boot is the diagnostics port, a kawi dealer can plug that in and see what the code is.
The yellow wire on the left side of battery. You ground that to enter diag, it has 3 modes. The FI light will blink code's at ya.

Info on it Starts page 3-34 in the service manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250 codes.jpg (139.0 KB, 14 views)

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:51 AM   #6
Christofeser
ninjette.org member

Can anyone post HOW to do the paper clip thing for the ECU?

Do you just poke it inside the diagnostics port, make sure it's touching all the connectors inside, and then touch it to the frame?

I've got the service manual, and know HOW to read the codes, it's just getting em up.

Anyone????

Chris

Old December 24th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Christofeser
ninjette.org member

BUMP:

Anyone?

Also, does the temperature gauge ever rise much under about 10 miles? Mine barely reaches the top of the "cold" zone even after 10 or so miles. I think this may be directly related to my fan problem.

It just comes on, which in turn switches the FI light on?! I'm so confused/worried.

Chris

Old December 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Not sure what your talking about on the paper clip thing?

The reason I mentioned checking the temp sender. Is it has two parts to it, 1 for the temp gauge, and the other for the ecm. Being that part/problems are common, I would check there.

bad conection to the temp gauge. Bad connection from the temp sender to the ecm, maybe ecm plays it safe and turns on the fan???

If the paper clip thing is to get codes see pics, you probably need dm2 for past codes... if the fI light isnt on at the moment.

Good luck dude, hope you get it sorted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dfi1.jpg (162.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg dfi2.jpg (128.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg dfi3.jpg (144.1 KB, 4 views)

Old December 24th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Even though the Ninja has a radiator fan it is limited when there is no air flow. Long periods of idling is bad juju on any engine that is mostly air cooled. The red lights will all come on on the FI, water temp and FI indicator light due to overheating. ( the oil light may even come on if the viscoscity of the oil is too low).
Being that your lights are coming on while the bike is still cool, it is a good idea to take it to the dealer to check the FI system to see what service code is stored in the memory and also check to see if there is any damage to the O2 sensor, catalytic converter, fan sensor, temp sensor and check or replace the coolant (if necessary). A fault in any of those components may cause the electronics system to indicate an error. So if you plan to DIY you may have a little work ahead of you.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
The red lights will all come on on the FI, water temp and FI indicator light due to overheating. ( the oil light may even come on if the viscoscity of the oil is too low)..
Water temp light, I didnt notice the fI having a temp light?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FI250 dash.jpg (78.6 KB, 8 views)

Old December 25th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #11
Christofeser
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Water temp light, I didnt notice the fI having a temp light?
Yeah your dial is the same as my setup. I know they changed the temp. gauge to a fuel gauge on the later model right? Maybe this one has a temp. light?

ANYWAY, maybe it's because it's cold and I ride fast, but the temperature gauge never reallly seems to go "up", even when the fan comes on.

My biggest worry is that the coolant is low and the engine is overheating, making the fan come on. Would this not be registered on the guage?

I also, yesterday, opened up the oil chamber and noticed some emulsification - as if water has got in somehow? Perhaps this could be linked to the problem? However, the bike is still running really nicely? Apart from the famous "Kawi-Click" going on and on. Will have to get that sorted, I think?

Anyway, I'm going to bring it to the stealership on Monday, hopefully wont charge too much to get it looked at - I'm supposed to be going away on it for New Year.

Cheers, Chris

Old December 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #12
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofeser View Post
Yeah your dial is the same as my setup. I know they changed the temp. gauge to a fuel gauge on the later model right? Maybe this one has a temp. light?

Cheers, Chris
sorry. Your FI light is where my temp light is on the carbed version.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #13
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofeser View Post
Anyway, I'm going to bring it to the stealership on Monday, hopefully wont charge too much to get it looked at - I'm supposed to be going away on it for New Year.

Cheers, Chris
Might as well go check codes, pretty simple.

Old December 26th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #14
Christofeser
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Might as well go check codes, pretty simple.
Bringing it to the dealers tomorra. Maybe it's electrical, but time will tell.

Do most charge just for diag?

Chris