ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old February 9th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Business Management Degrees?

So, It kind of hit me last night that even though right now Im going for an A.A in General arts, I really dont know what I want to do with life or what I want to major in. I was wonder if anyone has majored in Business Management or maybe even mastered, and what are some pros or cons that you see in it? I hear that you can basically do anything with a business management degree, but idk. I really want a degree that's good for widespread career choices if I ever decide to change or what not. Just want some opinions.

Thanks!
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
I really dont know what I want to do with life or what I want to major in.
Thanks!
I am kinda in the same boat. I will be a junior in the fall so I had to declare a major this semester. I decided to major in Marketing Management. Why you ask? Well, because you can work almost anywhere with that degree. (Probably the same with Business Management) Nearly every type of business uses marketing professionals in some way. So my hope is that with a bachelors degree I will be able to find a nice job straight out of college.

I just want to make a decent salary to be able to pay for my hobby's.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Actually I think a BA is more versatile than a BM.

I have both though...still working to find the right "use" for them. lol

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Mr.E
That rider dude.

I completely agree with you Jono. And I when I looked, both kept coming up, although I cant seem to differentiate the difference Mark. I think job wise they said both seem to fall under the same career paths.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.

Old February 9th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

They are very similar. When I got my degree, my junk electives were used to get the BM. The BA actually required more class time than the BM. I have been hunting and I see more requests for BA than BM, of course, that is just what I have seen.

Old February 9th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Hmm. Idk. Maybe I could just do both like you. Its complicated. The way the economy is, I need something thats so broad and versitile so I didnt waste all this time in college for nothing lol

Old February 9th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I hear that. Good luck deciding.

Old February 10th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #8
cliff0529
ninjette.org member

Name: Cliff

Motorcycle(s): 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2001 Aprilia Falco, 2008 Ninja 250R and a whole slew of dirtbikes!

To be honest, you'd be better off declaring one of the actual majors (accounting, economics, marketing, finance, etc).

In all of my experience, I've never seen someone making big bucks as a manager that didn't have a degree in their field of expertise. All of my managers I've worked for as an accountant have been fellow accountants with either an MBA or a MAcc. The managers at my wife's company all follow the same rule. It's easy to teach someone to be a good manager, if they have the right personality for the position...it's much harder to teach someone the mechanics of the position if they don't have the basic groundwork to build upon.

If you want to make yourself marketable, get a degree in one of the specialties and then get an MBA. However, you're still going to have to work your way up in the corporation if you don't have any experience. Most companies don't hire fresh graduates into any sort of management position.

Georgia Fast Lane
cliff0529 is offline   Reply With Quote