ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Magz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Franken-Ninjette Build

So I've decided that I'm going to be keeping my Ninjette until it falls apart or explodes, which means I can start modding without worrying about resale value. What I want to ask of all of you fine folks is to post up some picture of the most interesting/cool pre-gen builds you've seen, and just make some suggestions of things you like. I'm not necessarily looking for high performance as much as just something very unique and fun.

Only rule is that it can't be overly expensive. I can do my own fabrication and paint/body, so that isn't a problem. I'll get some picks up soon, but it's a bone stock black, 2006 Ninjette.

Let me know what you guys think. Cheap, unique, and interesting is what I'm going for here. Hopefully this can turn into an interesting build thread once I get things going. Thanks all!

Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You might be interested in this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74940
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

some of my faves
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Magz
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I've been through that thread a couple of times and got some neat ideas. This is the kind of concept I think I'm going for:

Streetfighter

But blacked out and a little more faired. Paint scheme is one thing I haven't decided on yet though. I'm wanting to go with darker colors. I'm consider a flat black/red/white scheme. I was inspired by this helmet.

AFX fx-100

Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:58 PM   #5
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I think that streetfighter is the best out there; cool looking bike. It definitely has the best chin fairing-usage of any streetfighter 250 out there, but the tank stands out, and I don't like the venom tanks or the helmet front end. Just me. It's great inspiration though

Old November 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #6
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Been slowly 'fightering mine. One of the toughest things to work around is the gauge cluster and headlight setup, if you're looking to do a cheap build. The fairing/headlight/gauge mount sticks way too far out the front for my taste. I wound up getting a pair of fork mounts (making sure it had 3 holes each) and squeezed the stock headlight into them. Picked up a set of turn signals and affixed those to the brackets using washers to keep them stable. Bar-end mirrors made sure she was legally up to snuff here in NY. Now the tricky part has been the gauges. Depending on what you need to have on there (both legally and aesthetically) you've got options. Being a complete electro-tard myself, I opted to pull the speedo out of the housing and just stick it next to the ignition. Prolly zip tie it to something, but the speedo cable is prtty rigid, and it stays in place pretty well. I do have a single housing speedo that I ordered from India on the cheap. It was designed for a Royal Enfield, so the screw collar on the stock speedo cable is too small to fit on the post of the new speedo, but I'm still braining out trying to fab something up to get it to hold.

Just one question, by "chin-fairing", are you referring to the belly pan? I've been toying with cutting mine down and re-mounting as a belly pan. Unsure tho.
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Magz
ninjette.org member

@choneofakind I agree with you on the helmet. Definitely a neat idea, but I don't really like the looks of it.

@Jlinde I'm going for something definitely similar to what you've got. I'd like to come up with a way to cut down the front fairing and leave it on so that it still has the fighter look, but is cleaner than the lights and gauges sticking out like that. You said you'd found a way to mount the gauges better, do you mind posting some picks?

Old November 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #8
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

I plan to take some pics tonite or this weekend. I have a build thread on CF (same user name) that is desperately needing updating. Since the front fairing mounts to the same bracket as everyting else, it comes down to all-or-nothing with that. I don't have the tools or skills yet to fab my own stuff, but since my fairings were prtty busted by a PO, I opted to strip them. All of em. My avatar is an earlier version of what I'm now running. I'll be updating that too. But the stock bracket has everything way out there. Looks fine with the fairing on. But without...meh. My avatar has all the stock stuff minus the fairing.

I didn't really "mount" the speedo. Its just held there by the cable. There's some looped steel that the other cables and wires usually run thru, and I've stuck it thru that to hold it in place. May just zip-tie it. But I have no housing on the stock speedo right now. And its not lit. Hoping to fix that with the Smith's replica speedo. But the fork mount brackets I got for the headlight pull the headlight back considerably. She doesn't look like she has a beak anymore. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
Just one question, by "chin-fairing", are you referring to the belly pan? I've been toying with cutting mine down and re-mounting as a belly pan. Unsure tho.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah its the bodypart that goes down right beneath the engine and right behind the front wheel. It's kinda pointed forward; like a chin

I like how he trimmed his to make it look like it was meant to go there and took off the tabs that would normally mount it to the main fairing

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
anyone know any details about this bike?

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #11
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Yeah, some people are wizards with fiberglass. Very awe-inspiring. Definitely, if you have no plans to go back to stock for a resale, or whatever reason, then it just makes it more polished to remove tabs and stuff. I'm planning to grind down the unused tabs and holes this winter once I get a grinder. Just makes the overall look much tighter. But I've tried some things with fiberglass, and don't think its my cup of tea, so if I do fab a belly-pan, it better be up to snuff, or its not going on. I'd sell it on ebay if it weren't cracked and repainted. Still might anyway if I don't use it, as maybe one of those 'glass wizards would score a hot deal. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Magz
ninjette.org member

I like the pan as well. Planning on cutting mine similarly. I REALLY want to get a Koso gauge, which would solve a handle of problems, but just don't have the cash. Also plan on fabbing together a new exhaust out a new-gen exhaust I bought cheap.

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #13
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
anyone know any details about this bike?

It doesn't look like a ninjette frame. Nor a kawi frame for that matter. All I can tell be just the pic...
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #14
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Nothing says, "I wrecked my bike" like a streetfighter.

And while we're on the subject, "streetfighter".... street fighter? What's it angry about?
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #15
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magz View Post
I like the pan as well. Planning on cutting mine similarly. I REALLY want to get a Koso gauge, which would solve a handle of problems, but just don't have the cash. Also plan on fabbing together a new exhaust out a new-gen exhaust I bought cheap.
Nice! I've been thinking of doing a new exhaust too. Would love to get some bent tubing and work out an under-tail setup. Unfortunately, I don't weld, but have been thinking about learning to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #16
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post

And while we're on the subject, "streetfighter".... street fighter? What's it angry about?
Angry at the street, for rashing up its $1K plastics! Now its fightin the street with the hard stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #17
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I posted up that a while back on a different thread. It's nice isn't it! Love the Street Tracker look.

Someone commented it would be hard to give the Ninjette that look on account of the big wide radiator the Ninjette has.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #18
Magz
ninjette.org member

That huge radiator and big square headlight are the two things I dislike most about taking the front fairing off. Although I do really like the wide beam of the light.

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:

i disagree fully. a stripper bike is a style. would you call a cafe racer or a chopper a bike that screams "i wrecked my bike"?

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #20
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:

So your telling me this makes you think its a beat to **** bike?

Your totally right bro....

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #21
greg737
-

I stand corrected....

A factory-designed, well integrated naked bike looks like money.

But your ghetto, stripped-off, no-fairings "streetfighter" bike with the fuel tank that has fairing bolt holes and fairing indents still says, "I wrecked my bike"

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #22
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
I stand corrected....

But your ghetto, stripped-off, no-fairings "streetfighter" bike with the fuel tank that has fairing bolt holes and fairing indents still says, "I wrecked my bike"
Your your 2005 pre-gen screams, I cant afford a nice new-gen

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #23
greg737
-

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #24
Magz
ninjette.org member

Luckily I can do all of my own body work and fabrication so it wont, but even if I couldn't it's about what I like, not what anyone else likes. Just like you think streetfighters look shoddy, a lot of people think 250s are wimpy bikes or that faired bikes in general look like toys. It's all about taste. To each their own I say.

Now I'm taking my thread back thank you very much. However, if you have some suggestions as to how I can make the bike look interesting and unique without looking shoddy, please share. Like that EFI mod, which is really neat. Congrats on working that out.

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #25
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I stand corrected....

but if they're done right, and the bolt holes in the tank are covered somehow, they look great.

like this one: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/51594...392_gcsFJ-A-LB

all the tank holes are covered with some plastic. looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Your your 2005 pre-gen screams, I cant afford a nice new-gen
hey there. His pregen has a homemade EFI system that probably cost more than many 250R J owners payed for their entire bike.

There are plenty of reasons to buy a pre-gen over a current model. The first thing that comes to mind to me is ease of service. Look at the difference in difficulty of a valve adjustment, or just the difference in difficulty of taking off the fairings for goodness sake. Not to mention, I like having a temp gauge, and I like the looks of the pregen as well.

If you want to see a current-gen bike that has been "street-fightered" and doesn't look so good, go peruse the crash section. Good and bad streetfighters of both generations exist. Without doing it right, both forms just scream "I crashed"

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #26
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
I think your work is awesome but I see no reason to doing something like that when you can get a different bike for a lot less money

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
hey there. His pregen has a homemade EFI system that probably cost more than many 250R J owners payed for their entire bike.

There are plenty of reasons to buy a pre-gen over a current model. The first thing that comes to mind to me is ease of service. Look at the difference in difficulty of a valve adjustment, or just the difference in difficulty of taking off the fairings for goodness sake. Not to mention, I like having a temp gauge, and I like the looks of the pregen as well.

If you want to see a current-gen bike that has been "street-fightered" and doesn't look so good, go peruse the crash section. Good and bad streetfighters of both generations exist. Without doing it right, both forms just scream "I crashed"
I still think the pre-gen is cool, im just saying that because hes popping off about other people hard work and saying it looks like ****

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #27
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
But a naked bike looks good because it's designed to be naked. A bike that has been wrecked and doesn't have fairings and only has the necessities to be legal is still going to look like it's been wrecked even though it now goes by the name "streetfighter". There are some really good examples of bikes that have intentionally gone through the transformation to streetfighter-hood and have had all the work done and all the details have been taken care of that look amazing. But unless done right, they still look like the ones that have been wrecked and are modified just enough to be legal to ride on the roads.

what I got from his post is that to look good, it has to be done right. Unless it's done right, and all the details aren't take care of, it doesn't look right.

besides, if I had the money and expertise to do the EFI system, I would. It's not about getting a new bike, it's about getting the bike that you want. He obviously wants an EFI 250R that performs well, not a different bike.

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #28
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hey @greg737 maybe read the tos and stop bashing other peoples opinions on style. its easy to say your bike looks like ****. its a lot harder to do something creative to a bike and have it come out well. so until you rebuild your bike and make it look nice and pretty (no, swapping out carbs for efi doesnt count) maybe you should learn how to respect other people's opinions?

remember what your mother told you when you were young? if you dont have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut?

why don't you show us some of the body work or frame work you've fabricated?

Old November 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #29
greg737
-

Okay, I could have phrased it better.

But I was really just pointing out what the average person-on-the-street sees when a streetfighter pulls up next to them at a stoplight.

When you're among a bunch of guys who all love the streetfighter look it's easy to forget (or fail to realize in the first place) that a lot of people (okay, most people) don't see it as the art form that you do.

Old November 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #30
Magz
ninjette.org member

Oh, I know that there are people that wont like it. I also know there are people that don't like my lifted 4x4, but I sure do and that's all that really matters to me.

I know you probably weren't saying it to be offensive. It happens. As long as it looks good to me, it's what I'll be happy with. But I'm taking suggestions as to what I should do with it, and your suggestion, which I'm taking as avoid the streetfighter look, is as valid and helpful as any other.

Old November 4th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #31
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe some people don't do things purely for the acceptance of others? some people (it may be a bizarre concept for you) actually do things because they like them, not because they think other people will like it.

Old November 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #32
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Nice fighter with that from-the-factory look...

Old November 4th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #33
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

And mine, which has that fightered-because-it-was-crashed-by-a-PO-and-not-me rawness about it...

the thing i love about streetfighters are they are always a work in progress. there's always something that can be done to it. it's an evolving, organic process, rather than a static ideal.

Old November 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #34
94fiveohvert
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r, crf 50

Quote:
Nice fighter with that from-the-factory look...

i need more info on this bike, was there a build thread anywhere?
94fiveohvert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #35
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

I cant believer thats a 250, that thing is sexy

Old November 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #36
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I posted up that a while back on a different thread. It's nice isn't it! Love the Street Tracker look.

Someone commented it would be hard to give the Ninjette that look on account of the big wide radiator the Ninjette has.
Its the ole school look in my eye. I am a sucker for a exposed frame and spoke rims.

Yea even turned sideways or side mounted the radiator would take away from the overall look but still could be tastefully done.

.... wishes....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #37
Magz
ninjette.org member

Got the integrated tail light done today. Crappy picture, but oh well you get the idea. I'll snap a couple more tomorrow.

Old November 5th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #38
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94fiveohvert View Post
i need more info on this bike, was there a build thread anywhere?
It was an Indonesian build:

Some picture album:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/f...07.87323827610

Here is the full size image
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #39
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Tail light looks sweet, Magz. Like the clear with the amber bulbs.

I don't thgink the radiator is that much of an eyesore on the 250. I think it looks worse on the 500.

Nice find on the link, leed. I found the pic on another forum. Someone had posted it up as an inspiration for their build, and had it up for reference.

As far as what drives the concept of fighters is to make the bike your own in some way. People may not like it, but the people that do it don't care what those people think. It just seems that there is quite the fuzzy line between what mods are "acceptable" to most, and which ones aren't. The original turn signals don't appeal to people so they get flushmounts. But those same people scoff at anything more. Some do some don't. Is there anyone on this whole site that did not do one alteration and have a completely stock ninjette?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 17th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #40
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
And mine, which has that fightered-because-it-was-crashed-by-a-PO-and-not-me rawness about it...

the thing i love about streetfighters are they are always a work in progress. there's always something that can be done to it. it's an evolving, organic process, rather than a static ideal.
Hey what dis you do for your tail light / license plate?