ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #1
blueballs
ninjette.org newbie

Name: jack

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250

Front turn signals on '07

Alright, glad I found this forum first off. Now, I have an '07 250 that I just bought. The guy I bought it from supposedly backed into it and laid it down and broke the right turn signal. I could just buy an oem replacement for $40 but what I would like to do is go with some flush mount new ones. The problem is I have searched all over for some and can't seem to find any. I actually found these here the other day ---> http://www.sportbikelites.com/SPORTB...gnals%2043.htm which I bought and waited a week and never got them. I finally called them and they said, oh by the way those have been discontinued. I guess they were never going to tell me. Hopefully I get me money back on those but we will see. Anyways I guess what I am getting to is I am looking for something similar to what can be seen from that link. Can anyone point me in the right direction possibly?
blueballs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Eagle981
ninjette.org member

Name: Guy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

What are front turn signals?
Eagle981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Aeather
ninjette.org member

Name: Kolten

Motorcycle(s): 2005 250R Ninja

I actually got some from ebay. They aren't smoked but they are the flush turn signals. They were like 20 bucks. Just had to drill the hole in the fairing my self.
Aeather is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #4
blueballs
ninjette.org newbie

You wouldn't happen to have a link to where you got them do you? Lately I have had bad luck with ordering over the internet. It seems there are far less regulations on cc orders over the net these days.

Old October 9th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Aeather
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a link to where you got them do you? Lately I have had bad luck with ordering over the internet. It seems there are far less regulations on cc orders over the net these days.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-2013-Ka...70646526200%26 i just bought these. I could post pictures later.

Old October 9th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #6
blueballs
ninjette.org newbie

That is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered some, $20.00 shipped is pretty damn good. I appreciate the link. Hopefully they are not too hard to install, I wouldn't think they would be.

Old October 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Aeather
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
That is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered some, $20.00 shipped is pretty damn good. I appreciate the link. Hopefully they are not too hard to install, I wouldn't think they would be.
Hahahah they really aren't. Luckily my dads a remodeler so he had the bits to drill the holes then screwed in the screws and fastened the bolt. Make sure you get the right connections on the lights. Take out the old ones and make sure the new ones fit good.

Old October 15th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #8
killermase
ninjette.org member

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeather View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-2013-Ka...70646526200%26 i just bought these. I could post pictures later.
I would love to see a picture of your turn signals once you get them on your bike as I may purchase these flushmounts. I stupidly tried to back my bike out my garage (instead of going out straight like I usually do) a few weeks ago and drop my bike on it's left side and the clear plastic cover on the turn signal popped off, which caused the tab to break so now I have some clear tape to hold it on as it still works. I wanted to replace it, but didn't want to pay $40 for the old OEM lights, but would definitely pay $20 for flushmounts. Please let me know how they look and how difficult it was to put on your bike.
killermase is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Aeather
ninjette.org member

Heres a picture of the flush mounts, honestly it took me maybe... 20 minutes to do it. Just get a drill bit for it and drill inside the fair make sure you line it up. And yes thats me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 644159_4636959690686_1091085641_n.jpg (135.1 KB, 24 views)

Old October 16th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #10
killermase
ninjette.org member

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeather View Post
Heres a picture of the flush mounts, honestly it took me maybe... 20 minutes to do it. Just get a drill bit for it and drill inside the fair make sure you line it up. And yes thats me.
Thank you and those look good. I like the fact that you can see them from the front unlike these other flushmounts I've seen out on the market. I have an 09 250 so I just hope they work with my motorcycle. Here's another silly question, which I will assume the answer is yes. Did you have to remove your fairings.
killermase is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #11
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by killermase View Post
Thank you and those look good. I like the fact that you can see them from the front unlike these other flushmounts I've seen out on the market. I have an 09 250 so I just hope they work with my motorcycle. Here's another silly question, which I will assume the answer is yes. Did you have to remove your fairings.
I just ordered these as well. I'm pretty sure you can do the install without removing the fairings. We'll see when they get here.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #12
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370529849859

Get those

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #13
Aeather
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killermase View Post
Thanks, and no I didn't remove the fairing. Just lined it up with the fairing and the drill hole made a little indent so I knew where to drill. And I drilled then screwed in the bolt.

Old October 18th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #14
blueballs
ninjette.org newbie

Alright, I got my lights through the mail. A couple of questions I had for you though. Did you put that rubber piece on the inside of the fairing or leave it up against the light itself? Also, how did you get the connections together because as far as I can see they don't just plug together. Another thing is there are three wires coming from the light of which only two connect. Do you happen to remember which went to which? Props to you if this actually only took you 20 minutes.

Old October 18th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Aeather
ninjette.org member

Ill make a video tomorrow.

Old October 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #16
blueballs
ninjette.org newbie

I would appreciate the hell outta that.

Old October 20th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #17
blueballs
ninjette.org newbie

I just don't get how the connections are supposed to go together because they sure as hell don't just plug into each other. I want to make sure when I do get them plugged in that they are in fact the right connections. On the new turn signals there are three wires: Black/white, black, and red. On the existing electrical there are two wires: One is green and the other is black/white. I am pretty sure the black/white connections go together but not sure of the other. So if you could just let me know which connections go where and how you got them to connect to each other I would appreciate it.

Old October 25th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #18
95XL
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '04 Yamaha FZ-1, '05 Ninja 250

3-wire turn signals are going to be for running lights also, which the 250 doesn't have. The way you see which wire goes where is grab yourself a lawn-mower, car battery, bike battery, or jump-pack (anything 12v you have laying around).

The Black wire on the signals is more than likely going to be your "ground" wire. So you would touch that to the "negative" side of your test battery. Then you take the green wire and touch it to the "positive" side of your test battery, the light should light up.

Then disconnect the green wire from your test battery, and connect the black/white wire the the "positive" side of your test battery, the light should light up again.

Take note as to which color wire attached to the battery produced a "brighter" light. Whichever wire produced the brightest light should be hooked to the green wire on the bike (that is going to be your "positive" coming from the bike, the black/yellow wire on the bike is going to be your "negative" or "ground").

Also note that the "positive" wire from the bike is different colors from the left side to the right, but the "negative" or "Ground" wire is black/yellow on both sides.

If you have a "Test-light" handy, you could double check me by hooking it to the "negative" side on your bike battery, and poking it inside the fittings on the bike's wiring, and (with your key "on") turn whatever side your trying to test's blinker "on" using the switch on your left handle bar. The test-light should blink on and off as a blinker when you've got it inside the plug of the "Positive" side of the bike wiring.

As far as getting the plugs to plug into each other, I've never been a fan of hacking up the "bike-side" of a wiring harness, so what I've always done is cut the "male" plugs off of the stock blinkers, and connect them to the new blinkers I'm looking to install, using the red/pink heat shrink butt-connectors. That way if you ever want to go back to stock, you just cut them off the blinkers and re-connect them to the stock blinkers, and the bike's actual wiring remains un-affected.

The third or "leftover" wire on the turn signals hooks to nothing, leave it hang. You could hook them up to work as running lights by wiring in a relay, but, we'll leave that part out for now... Good luck!

Old October 25th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #19
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If your lights have 3 wires, splice the running light into something that is key'd, and whenever your ignition is on, you'll have running lights. Good for visibility.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #20
95XL
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '04 Yamaha FZ-1, '05 Ninja 250

I agree with chone that wiring up running lights is good for visibility...

There is also a way to wire 2-wire signals to function as running lights and signals, using a single filament bulb if anybody is interested. But you need 1 relay per bulb.

Old October 25th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #21
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^that's what I did. I wired a relay in so my 2 wire turn signals act as a running light and turn signal.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #22
blueballs
ninjette.org newbie

I finally got them on and they look good. I ended up just cutting off the old connectors and putting them on the new setup. They plugged right in and work great. I wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. I especially wanted to say thank you to 95XL for your really clear and concise explanation. I would of had a much more difficult time if it wasn't for your post. Also, thank you Aeather for the link to the lights as they were a hell of a deal. So once again that you to everyone that posted replies. This is a very helpful forum.