Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old October 14th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

New problem! WTF is this....

Ok so as stated in my log I dropped my bike a few hours ago. It wouldn't start, so I assumed it was flooded and waited about 30 min then came back and it started up fine. Brought it home and let it sit for a good hour or so before I hopped on it again. It started up fine.

I go down the street a good 4 miles, coming up on a stop in 3rd gear, slow down, shift down, and I feel the engine losing power. Next thing I know the oil light is on, engine has stalled, and I pull into someone's driveway.

Tried starting it again, no good. Battery is fine, starter is cranking, no start up. I wait 20 minutes, try it again, and it starts up fine. I decide its time to go home and head back. 2 miles down the line, this time is 2nd gear and not coming up on a stop or anything, I feel the engine losing power again. Pull over and the engine dies. Repeated the wait and crank I did previously until it worked.

Went another mile before it died again. And this time since I was so close to home, I just walked the bike for half a mile instead of waiting. After walking a bit, started it up, and it made the rest of the way home before dying on my my driveway in 1st gear. Once I pulled it into the garage, I fired it up one more time just to see if it'd start and it did. Turned it off and now I'm here wondering WTF was going on.

My guess is that, if I was right about the bike flooding earlier, I never gave it enough time for the flood to clear out, and by trying to ride it so soon each time it died, I reflooded it. But I don't really know. I'm a noob.

What do you guys think? Halp plox

The only problem the bike had before all this was a petcock leak in the off position. Carbs were rebuilt and engine cleared of previous flooding 5 days ago.
SemperFudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #2
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Try opening your gas cap. Sounds weird but sometimes it cause by the gas system.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #3
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
Try opening your gas cap. Sounds weird but sometimes it cause by the gas system.
Haha that was the first thing I did after the first stall. It didn't do a thing.

Old October 14th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #4
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

64 views, 1 response? Come on guys I'm suffering here lol

Ok so few updates. The bike starts great. Idles between 1.5 and 1k like it always has. I rode it around my block for a bit to make sure it was okay. It did fine. So I assumed it was alright. I go down the street to turn into a plaza 300 feet away. So I slow down for the turn, turn right into the lot, and as expected, the engine starts to sputter and dies. Luckily the lot was empty so I just pulled into a space. I started it up again just to see if it could and it did just fine but I didn't want to risk riding it back so I walked it. Thankfully I wasn't too far from home.

Once home, I start it up again. Everything seems to be fine. Shut it off. Started it up again, rode around my block again in 1st, nice and slow. Pulled into my garage and shut it off. Did fine this time.

So something I've noticed is that the problem occurs often while slowing down especially when shifting down.

Any idea guys?

Old October 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

if I had to guess maybe when you dropped it you jarred something loose ad it's clogging up something?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109552

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...t=Losing+power
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #6
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rPanda View Post
if I had to guess maybe when you dropped it you jarred something loose ad it's clogging up something?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109552

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...t=Losing+power
That's exactly what I'm thinking but I really don't know too much about this stuff.

Now I gotta get it towed and run diagnostics. This bike has been nothing but money down the toilet for me.

Old October 14th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #7
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

It definitely sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Either your petcock is not working properly and not delivering enough fuel or one of the float needles is not opening up properly.

It sounds like the bike runs fine at low fuel input levels (idle), but at higher fuel flows the float bowls basically empty starving the bike of fuel.

If the motor is running it is not flooded. Flooded means there is too much fuel for the engine to fire. As soon as the motor starts the flooded situation is resolved.

Troubleshooting:
1. Check petcock operation. Pull both hoses. Apply vacuum to the smaller opening (attach a hose and suck). You should get good flow out of the large opening (be ready to catch this).

2. Remove carbs and check floats and needles.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #8
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

^ Petcock leaks in the off position and I have a shop nearby waiting for the rebuild kit to be delivered. However its been leaking like this since I got it so I'm sure that's not the problem.

I don't have to guts to be removing the carbs or anything yet so I'm probably just gonna bite my tongue and deal with the shop to run diagnostics.

Just added Progressive roadside assistance a few minutes ago so hopefully it kicks in this week so I don't get ripped off again for towing.

But I agree, I'm sure its something very simple to fix. I just don't have the experience to know exactly what's causing the problem

Old October 14th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #9
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

OK, YOUR SAVIOR IS HERE.

This problem happened to me when i bought my project bike, you can see on my album of its progress. but anyways. The RPMs go down all the way then up, then down, then eventually stalls right? Usually happens when slowing down or turning while going slow? Well i did things to prevent that and stop it and all the sudden it stopped all together after a day of doing what i did.

First thing i did was fix a problem with my gas tank i had, (look at pictures) here is the link and how i fixed it at the end. Read the whole page to see what im talking about and how the guy in the other link i posted in my first post had the same problem.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116586

Second thing i did was add seafoam from orielly in my gas tank, like 2 ounces because i had like 2 gallons of tank.

third i rode for about 5 miles, problem happened off and on during those miles then after that it has been riding perfecto.

Also make sure your bike is nicely choked for about a min before riding.

Try those things and let me know, if your tank doesn't have that problem that i had in my first step then dont worry about it. Add the seafoam and see what happens.

Also im not sure but my gas tank was half when i added seafoam and problem went away, and full when the problem occurred without seafoam but im sure it has nothing to do with how full my tank is. I haven't filled it back up yet because of my 912319238192mpg but i think i will fill it all the way next week and see if it happens again.

-GOD

Old October 14th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #10
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

^ I'll look into the tank thing tomorrow. Something definitely could have gotten loose during the drop.

As for the Seafoam, I just added some Techron concentrate yesterday, so I'm good for now.

Old October 14th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #11
skilletmo
InfoWhore

ok let me know about the tank and possibly take a pic and post it, and i think seafoam is better but it might work as well.

Old October 15th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #12
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

Are you almost out of gas? On my bike that's the first symptom that I'm running out and it's time to switch to RES. Have you tried ON and RES with the petcock?

Old October 15th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #13
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Are you almost out of gas? On my bike that's the first symptom that I'm running out and it's time to switch to RES. Have you tried ON and RES with the petcock?
You know what, that could just be it haha. I put in a gallon the day before, and it had a little before that (I'm not really sure how much). I did about 40 miles since I put in the gallon. Possible I used most of it up already?

Old October 15th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #14
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

Dude! Go put some gas in the bike.

Old October 15th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #15
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Omfg....

Old October 15th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #16
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Seriously!

You can switch to RES as a temporary solution, but in 40 miles or so you will have a bigger problem. As in, it will quit and not start at all.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #17
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Oh my god I'm such an idiot. I am 99% sure this is due to low gas now. First with the leaking petcock and second with dropping the bike, I must of used it all pretty much by now.

It explains everything, especially why my bike sputters and shuts off during slowing down or turning, since that means the gas in the tank moves away and the "ON" straw can't reach any of it. I haven't even thought about riding it in "RESERVE".

Goddammit. Well I have an interview with Bazzaz right now, so wish me luck. I'll be sure to hook you guys up with discounts if I get the job I'll be adding fuel to the bike after and I'll let you guys know what's up.

Old October 15th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #18
skilletmo
InfoWhore

I can't belive you failed to mention that

I don't think your fit for bazzaz... Lol jk good luck

Old October 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #19
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFudge View Post
Goddammit. Well I have an interview with Bazzaz right now, so wish me luck. I'll be sure to hook you guys up with discounts if I get the job :D I'll be adding fuel to the bike after and I'll let you guys know what's up.
With the recent launch of the 300, you'd get quite a bit of interest if you were able to setup group buys or discounts on their Z-Fi modules.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #20
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

So turns out the problem was no gas. I'm an idiot. I'll admit it. Haha

But on a positive note, the interview went GREAT

Old October 15th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #21
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Wink

Lol congrats noob

Old October 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #22
Brooklyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Tricia

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Congrats Paul!
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #23
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFudge View Post
So turns out the problem was no gas. I'm an idiot. I'll admit it. Haha

But on a positive note, the interview went GREAT
Everyone does that. Don't sweat it. Someday you'll also try to start the bike with the kill switch off. Hopefully you won't run your battery down too far before you figure it out.