ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 24th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Newgen rearsets on a pregen, initial impressions/complications...

Hey folks...

I've been wanting to try and put a newgen rearset on a pregen, just to see if it would work out. I bought an X-Race adjustable rearset from Ztrack and installed it on my bike. I love it. It aids the sportbike feel quite a bit. It also looks amazing. The shifting and braking are much smoother than the stock parts. There are, however, a couple of clearance issues based on the fact that it wasn't built for the newgen bike.

The most major clearance problem was on the brake side. On the pregen, the stock rearset has an extra mounting bolt above the rear brake master cylinder. Most of the possible adjustments on the new rearset wouldn't fit on the bike because this extra mounting point was in the way. So, I just had it cut off. It's just a small tab that is welded to the frame, so you can just break the weld and grind of the excess.

Here's a pic of the tab on a stock bike (it's the top one above the two holding the master cylinder):
IMG_2900.jpg

There are still a couple of places the rearset is able to adjust to that are blocked by the frame, but that can't be helped much.

Pics of the finished result on that side, and one of where the tab no longer is:
IMG_2895.jpgIMG_2898.jpgIMG_2897.jpg

Another clearance issue is actually with the rearset contacting itself. This problem is on the shifter side. The shift rod that comes with the rearset is much longer and much wider than the stock rod. It actually blocks the shift lever from moving without a couple of spacers placed strategically to push the shifter out farther.

Pics:
IMG_2905.jpgIMG_2906.jpg

There is also a near miss of a clearance issue with the heel-guard. It actually extends up right next to the side fairing, but it's far enough out that it doesn't contact it.

Pics of that side and the clearance "issue":
IMG_2902.jpgIMG_2903.jpgIMG_2904.jpg

The only other slight problem I had was that the hose going from the brake fluid reservoir to the master cylinder is a little too long. Some creative bending fixes this problem and my mechanic (not the same guy who installed my exhaust, by the way. Much higher skill level.) said it's not a problem.

In a couple of the pics you'll notice that the toe pegs are a different color. That's because when I assembled it the first time I didn't tighten one of them down enough (even though I swear I tightened the crap outta that thing ) and it fell off. Had to get new ones from Ztrack. (thanks again man! )

Thanks for looking.

Old April 25th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #2
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Michael put a couple washers on the shifter side between the rod and the shift lever. It will move it out and away so there will be no clearance problem there.

Old April 25th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Verus Cidere

Actually, I just sold the rearset to another forum member as I'm selling the bike soon. Good to know though. I'm sure anyone else who decides to do this, as well as the member that bought the set from me will be appreciative. And a personal thanks to you for your great customer service!

Old April 30th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #4
iceman.kcmo
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 94 Ex250

well, I am the one who bought it. I have only one problem with the fit. It is with the exhaust. I have a muzzy and it comes up too high. I am either going to have to figure something out, or buy that sportisi exhaust he is coming out with for the pregen. Other than that, the fit great!
iceman.kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Verus Cidere

Glad to hear you like it. Sorry about the fitment issue. I had the Area-P exhaust, which fit fine with it. I had no idea. Can you post pics of the issue?

Old May 1st, 2010, 11:16 AM   #6
iceman.kcmo
ninjette.org member

I will try to get pics up tonight.

Here are the clearance issuses. The brake MC contacts the frame when in most of the positions. If the Mount for it was lowered down just a little, it would be perfect.

In the lower settings with a Muzzy pipe, the bottom of the lever contacts the pipe. This is not an issue with stock exhaust or the Sportisi exhaust, or AP exhaust. I hopped on the bike last night after i bolted them up, WOW! Feels great. I cant wait to go for a ride. so much more room.

Old May 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Verus Cidere

I agree. It feels great. No offense to Ztrack, but the new rearsets from Shinto look like they would probably fit the pregen better, based on where the master cylinder mounts from.

Old May 1st, 2010, 10:36 PM   #8
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

None taken. I don't market them for pregens.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:48 PM   #9
iceman.kcmo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
None taken. I don't market them for pregens.
Maybe not, But im bound to make them work.. When i get home today, I am going to see about flipping the Brakce MC around to see if that gives me any more room. I think it might work...

Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Verus Cidere

I thought of that too. I ended up just working with what I had. Worked out fine after I adjusted the brake pedal a bit. Good luck!