ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 17th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #321
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

The Sport Demon is a Bias Ply whereas the Diablo Rosso is a radial tire so handling is slightly different. Wider also means the tire profile is flatter so it takes more effort for it to "flick". Also messing with your tire pressure may help.

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #322
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

just got mine today, can't wait to get them installed. gonna go play slap n tickle with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05172012169.jpg (109.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 05172012170.jpg (66.2 KB, 5 views)
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #323
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
The only major thing to note (and I think I mentioned this before) is that switching from 110/130 to 120/140 I notice it takes a lot more effort to flick the bike around.
I suspect the 120 is raising the front slightly higher which will add to stability at the cost of flick ability.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #324
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
Here is my feedback/comparison between the Sport Demon and Rosso II.

In terms of braking/straight line, tires feel the exact same (even in the wet). In a lean, the Rosso II feel more 'planted' if that makes any sense. The Sport Demons sometimes felt a bit skiddish in full lean but as of now, I've not had an instance of that with my Rossos.

The only major thing to note (and I think I mentioned this before) is that switching from 110/130 to 120/140 I notice it takes a lot more effort to flick the bike around. When weaving to heat the tires up, it takes significantly more force on the bars to get it to flick. I don't feel I lost any likability as I can still do it without breaking traction, it's just not as effortless. I for one, kind of like this as it feels more like I'm working with the bike.

That being said, it could just be all in my head as I gave it a solid 150miles of easy riding for break in.
How come you put in 120s?
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #325
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I stayed with the 110's in the front....no real reason why
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #326
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

I got a pair for my birthday, and needless to say they are better than the IRCs' with 11k miles that I had before. Although I haven't really gotten a chance to really test them out, I plan to this weekend.

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #327
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
How come you put in 120s?
I was able to get the 120 MUCH cheaper than I could a 110 because I got it from a friend who wrecked before he could put it on his gsxr. Otherwise, I would have gotten a 110.

@Alex
Why wouldn't weaving heat the tires up? More friction = more heat and it also exposes more friction to more surface area of the tire. I might have to bust out the heat gun and give this a test!
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #328
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Motorcycle magazines have tested it for years. With real racers on real tracks with real measurements. Weaving does nothing, as it isn't adding any significant friction. The way to pick out a squid on the street is to watch those who attempt to weave the bike before entering a twisty section.

What heats up tires a little bit quicker than otherwise is sharp acceleration and braking, flexing the carcass more than just rolling along. There are some good links that make all of this pretty clear:

at Sport Rider
at Road Racing World

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #329
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Motorcycle magazines have tested it for years. With real racers on real tracks with real measurements. Weaving does nothing, as it isn't adding any significant friction. The way to pick out a squid on the street is to watch those who attempt to weave the bike before entering a twisty section.

What heats up tires a little bit quicker than otherwise is sharp acceleration and braking, flexing the carcass more than just rolling along.
That's a good enough reason/explanation for me. Thanks for the tip. I don't really do it before turns, just on fresh tires because I thought it would heat up/scuff them up quicker that way. Sometimes I also do it when I'm bored lol
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #330
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Now you get to chuckle at them as well.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #331
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

I usually heat mine up with tire warmers.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM   #332
NDspd

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I weave a little to shake off the gravel that has stuck to the edges of the tire. I only do this if the road is really nasty.

Hey guys New tire update:

I had to buy a new rear of the DRII's today. Got a freaking brad nail dead straight in to the left third of the tread. I put some green slime to hold the pressure, but I just don't trust it. Unfortunately my local dealer doesn't plug tires, so I had no real choice but to buy a new one. There was some life left in the tire at 6,000 miles, but like I've said before, these tires don't really like super long distance on straight highways.

What I think ate the tires more was the fact that, the highways here have tons of groves cut into them. I think they almost act like teeth, because once I get off the highway, they wear more evenly. It also doesn't help the roads here are super straight.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:26 PM   #333
Alex
ninjette.org dude

6K miles on a sticky tire is nothing to sneeze at, that sounds like great potential tire life to me.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:18 PM   #334
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
I weave a little to shake off the gravel that has stuck to the edges of the tire. I only do this if the road is really nasty.

Hey guys New tire update:

I had to buy a new rear of the DRII's today. Got a freaking brad nail dead straight in to the left third of the tread. I put some green slime to hold the pressure, but I just don't trust it. Unfortunately my local dealer doesn't plug tires, so I had no real choice but to buy a new one. There was some life left in the tire at 6,000 miles, but like I've said before, these tires don't really like super long distance on straight highways.

What I think ate the tires more was the fact that, the highways here have tons of groves cut into them. I think they almost act like teeth, because once I get off the highway, they wear more evenly. It also doesn't help the roads here are super straight.
Do you by chance have pictures of your tire wear before you replaced it?

Quote:
6K miles on a sticky tire is nothing to sneeze at, that sounds like great potential tire life to me.
Heck yeah! I'm trying squeeze in 7k miles on my BT-16 rear and I'm a ways past the wear bar.

Old May 24th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #335
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Quote:
+1 Sounds good to me as well.

So far the tires have treated me well and providing superior feeling over the IRC's.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #336
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

So I've had my Rosso IIs on my CBR for a little over a week now; I love them just as much on the CBR as I did on the Ninjette.

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #337
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@NDspd: nice to see that you were so happy with the DRII's that you've gone back to them a second time: that says something.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #338
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Do you by chance have pictures of your tire wear before you replaced it?

Heck yeah! I'm trying squeeze in 7k miles on my BT-16 rear and I'm a ways past the wear bar.
I'm sorry man, I was in a rush to get things done today, I totally forgot.

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #339
NDspd

Quote:
Good point, it could have lasted longer, but yeah that's pretty good for a soft tire.

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #340
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
@NDspd: nice to see that you were so happy with the DRII's that you've gone back to them a second time: that says something.
Heck yeah man, these are worth their weight in gold. They stick well, and they inspire confidence, what more would you want? I'm so glad I went with a bike rather than a car, a single tire for my paren't corvette is $200. That's a set for me!!!

Old June 4th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #341
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

You all run the front at 28 psi? It feels a bit squishy to me, as if the tire buckles significantly at lean.
Has anyone else experience that?
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #342
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
You all run the front at 28 psi? It feels a bit squishy to me, as if the tire buckles significantly at lean.
Has anyone else experience that?
The stock front tyre recommends 28psi. That's what I use with it. I haven't noticed it being particularly squishy. I guess the weight of the rider effects tyre squishyness. If you're a big lad it might make it more squishy.

If you have a different brand of tyre on the front, then you should check the side wall of the tyre to see what its recommended pressure is: it could be different to the stock-tyre pressure.

Old June 4th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #343
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
The stock front tyre recommends 28psi. That's what I use with it. I haven't noticed it being particularly squishy. I guess the weight of the rider effects tyre squishyness. If you're a big lad it might make it more squishy.

If you have a different brand of tyre on the front, then you should check the side wall of the tyre to see what its recommended pressure is: it could be different to the stock-tyre pressure.
I am not that heavy, approx. 175lb.
Switched to Diablo rosso 2 few weeks ago, and at first I believed it's just me getting used to new tires. I have not yet discarded that option.

Overall I am very happy, bike feels more stable in corners, and handles bumps much better. Even lost the front end wobble with them.

Except for that strange feeling,... After a certain lean angle, the front "drops" a little and goes fine again after that. Maybe the new tire is more rounded and I just feel the change in diameter more. I will experiment a bit with pressures and see if it gets me anywhere.

edit: sidewall gives 290kPa @ max load of 212 kg. Which is way bigger (both in weight and pressure). Not much help.

Last futzed with by Domagoj; June 4th, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #344
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
I am not that heavy, approx. 175lb.
Switched to Diablo rosso 2 few weeks ago, and at first I believed it's just me getting used to new tires. I have not yet discarded that option.

Overall I am very happy, bike feels more stable in corners, and handles bumps much better. Even lost the front end wobble with them.

Except for that strange feeling,... After a certain lean angle, the front "drops" a little and goes fine again after that. Maybe the new tire is more rounded and I just feel the change in diameter more. I will experiment a bit with pressures and see if it gets me anywhere.
Ah, didn't realise you had the DR2s. What pressure does it say to use on the sidewall of the front DR2 tyre?

Old June 4th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #345
NDspd

28(front) 32 (rear) has worked perfect for me. If I carry a lot of weight I usually bump the rear to 34psi. I haven't noticed any feeling of squishyness when I'm in lean.

Old June 4th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #346
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2007 GSXR 600

I finally got my Rosso II's installed, and they feel WAY different from the stock dunlops. 110 front and 140 rear. I don't want to say they feel less stable, but it feels a lot easier to change directions with them. Yet, at the same time, they feel more planted. With the Dunlops, sometimes when I didn't downshift quite right, they'd slip a little on me. Not the case with the Pirellis! I'll be hitting the canyons pretty soon.
Robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #347
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
I finally got my Rosso II's installed, and they feel WAY different from the stock dunlops. 110 front and 140 rear. I don't want to say they feel less stable, but it feels a lot easier to change directions with them. Yet, at the same time, they feel more planted. With the Dunlops, sometimes when I didn't downshift quite right, they'd slip a little on me. Not the case with the Pirellis! I'll be hitting the canyons pretty soon.
Sounds pretty similar to my experience. You'll love them once you get on the twisties, they warm up very quick too!!

Old June 4th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #348
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Sounds like nothing but good news from Pirelli, let me know if you want to run some canyons together.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #349
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sounds pretty similar to my experience. You'll love them once you get on the twisties, they warm up very quick too!!
Can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Sounds like nothing but good news from Pirelli, let me know if you want to run some canyons together.
For sure. I haven't been much lately, but in March and April, I tried going every weekend. I don't think I'm ready for Palomar yet, though. We need to get some San Diego group rides going.

Old June 11th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #350
oreX
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2013 636 - ABS

What PSI are we supposed to be running these things at? Also, does anyone know the temperature the tire would be considered warm and/or too hot?
oreX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #351
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 205 Black

Oh man. After futzing around for 6 weeks I finally got these installed. I've zero experience with tires other than the 7950 miles of stock dunlops and now 50 miles of DRIIs.

1) 8k on stock was moronic. The front was gone gone. I'd been riding on slicks for 500 miles... or more. The rear broke loose on just about every downshift, something I'd actually grown kind of fond of. I think there's a motard in my future.

2) These Rosso's in comparison are nothing short of miraculous. I think turn and the bike is over on a rail. They just stick and stay. I coasted down from 80mph to 30 on a flat stretch with my hands just off the grips, no wobble, no shake, no nothing. Just amazing. It's a completely new bike.

So thanks for the heads up that is this thread.
devinjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #352
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreX View Post
What PSI are we supposed to be running these things at? Also, does anyone know the temperature the tire would be considered warm and/or too hot?
Depends what you are doing. Regular street riding should be 28 front, 32 rear.

As for temps, you shouldn't have to worry about these getting too hot unless you are taking these to a trackday. Mine get pretty warm to the touch after a good ride through the country. But after a hard 5 laps you can't put your whole hand on them for a sec or two. Corsa slicks on racing bikes get tremendously hot, enough to melt rubber.

Old June 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #353
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinjc View Post
...nothing short of miraculous...
Glad you are having a good time with the new tires. If and when I get another bike, I'll still stay with DRII's.

Old June 13th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #354
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
When I get another bike, I'll still stay with DRII's.
I did, and I'm happy with my decision.

Old June 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #355
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
i did, and i'm happy with my decision.
awesome!

Old June 14th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #356
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Finally hit the canyons with them this past weekend...they were great. Scraped my peg feelers for the first time. For anyone interested, here's how close I got to the edge before scraping:

I'll be hitting the track for the first time at the end of this month...I'll probably update afterwards.

Old June 14th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #357
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

might come up on some of these...what do you guys think are the best sizes for front and back?
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #358
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
I'll be hitting the track for the first time at the end of this month...I'll probably update afterwards.
Where you going? Chuckwalla? Streets?
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #359
NDspd

Quote:
Finally hit the canyons with them this past weekend...they were great. Scraped my peg feelers for the first time. For anyone interested, here's how close I got to the edge before scraping:

Very nice man, I've gotten over that far a few times, but scraping a peg always makes me a little jumpy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsHYk View Post
might come up on some of these...what do you guys think are the best sizes for front and back?
110 70 17 on the front, 140 70 17 on rear

Old June 14th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #360
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
Where you going? Chuckwalla? Streets?
June 30 @ Street of Willow Springs, via "Take it 2 the Track."

Quote:
Very nice man, I've gotten over that far a few times, but scraping a peg always makes me a little jumpy.
I think my 130 stock tires were closer to the edge, but never scraped...good to know there's extra rubber room on these 140s. Yeah, was caught off guard and spooked when I first heard the "SCCCRRRRRR"!