ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Chim
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250

Jetting Question (needed for casual?)

Hey all, new register here. I bought a 2007 250 ex last week and ran it once but since getting it home I couldn't get the thing started. After reading through every post I could find about the Carb I pulled it out and lo-and behold the pilot jets were gunked shut. Opened them up and the bike starts well but needs choke to start cold first time of the day. After carb cleaner, stabilizer and Seafoam, it does run much better and the choke time needed has been shortened but it's still there. My concern is I replaced the airbox with 2 Uni pods (all local store had) after the annoyance of getting the dang thing out.

I've read all I can find on here, ninja250.org, kawiforums, 250r.net, etc, about jetting and I realize there's no 'end all solution' but as it's my first bike I'm not really looking to tuning it perfectly, just not to ruin anything. I bought 6 3mm washers to possibly shim the needle from posts I read (haven't done yet), and I've removed the mixture plug so I can adjust that with carb on. With just pods as my only mod at this moment, would 2.5 screws out on mixture, 2 shims each be enough or should I get two #110 jets as well?

In all the posts I've read on here I found one that had someone with a similar set up and they used 2 shims and 100 jets at 5000 feet so I was thinking 110 and 2 shims would be a solid place to start (in Florida) if I'm not looking to race or mass tune it for days. Thanks in advance for any replies/corrections.

Last futzed with by Chim; April 11th, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Chim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #2
kkim

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rejetti...ng_pod_filters
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Chim
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the reply Kim. Many of your posts on here helped me figure out that my carb blockage was my initial problem.

I should've rephrased my earlier question : Can I get away with just reshimming and adjusting mixture screws with pods on or do I have to rejet? Just looking for daily driving use, nothing too hard or racing. I've read about why rejetting is needed and how to go about fine tuning to make it 'perfect', but I just want to enjoy riding, not worried about specific performance but also don't want to kill the engine.
-Thanks

Old April 10th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #4
kkim

you'll need the jets mentioned in the link as a starting point.

Old April 11th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

100% need to rejet. Personally, I would have gone with the K&N pod (actually, I did).
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Chim
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to not haveta take the carb off the bike for a second time but alas, we all gotta learn sometime it's better to figure everything out before hand. I was just too excited to get the bike just to get home and have it not run so I went the quick route.

I would've much preferred the single piece dual port K&N filter , 0990 I believe, but the Cyclegear store here in Orlando only had Uni pods, and K&N oil filters/regular air ones. So for the time while I'm waiting for the 2-day JetsRUs shipping I set the mixture screws to 2.5 out on both and shimmed both with 2 washers each. Even with just putting the gas tank on and not much gas being in the system it started right up without choking at all (my original problem). Sits around 1500 rpm's from the get-go on a cold start so definately happy with the shimming results. Once the jets come in Tuesday or Wednesday I'll get the fun of taking the carbs out again to throw those in.

Is it possible to put the main jets in without removing from the bike, IE just work upside down with gas drained out? The pilot jet was a pain to get out when I had to clean it but the main one isn't recessed at all and is much shorter so I'd like to think keeping it on the bike is possible. Once this mid day shower lets up I'll get to see how the bike responds with shimming on the dead stops, etc.

Thanks again. All the info throughout the forums here was a life saver with this being my first bike.

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #7
kkim

have you been to the DIY section here on ninjette?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

changing main jet w/o removing carbs...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10640

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Chim
ninjette.org member

Oh snap no, I haven't. When I was looking for my answer to initial problem I kept finding the searches take me to the Tech forums so that's where I defaulted to look afterwards. Definitely bookmarked that forum. Thanks!