ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 10th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #1
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

Sequential LED Tail Light small issue

So the bike i got came with the LED sequential integrated tail light.

The flashing brake function appears to work perfectly fine with the engine off. but with the engine on the light keeps flashing randomly with the brake applied. Basically it's supposed to flash a few times and then remain solid.

My logical conclusion is that the power going to the tail light to activate the bright brake light is dirty or unstable due to the charging system with the engine on.

Any ideas what i should be checking out? My stock headlight doesnt appear to fluctuate but LEDs and their associated electronics are probably more sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

Tried raising the idle to 2k rpm to see if that would smooth out the voltage. no dice. Reseated the connections, not that either.

I like this feature because it is pretty noticeable, random blinking might not necessarily be a bad thing but my "OCD" in me wants to fix it.

Thanks!
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #2
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Mine does the same thing and yeah it's totally random in it's timing but honestly I kinda like it because it keeps the people behind me one their toes, I have tried to solve it yet and don't really plan to any time soon.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #3
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Without measuring I couldn't be sure what the voltage levels are doing, perhaps a capacitor in parallel with the voltage source into the tail lights and ground would clean this up.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #4
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

I was having this issue too, but it wasn't every time; couldn't figure it out but I kept trying different things. That last thing I did was to loosen the rear brake switch so I'd have to press it more to activate it. After this, the light stopped flashing randomly. I guess I adjusted it too tight before.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #5
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

that was a thought at first but it flashes randomly with either brake lever/pedal and it works as intended with the engine off. The excessive flashing occurs only when the engine is on.

until i get access to a voltmeter later i guess i'll just have to wait. As mentioned above it might not necessarily be a bad thing if it keeps flashing (being paranoid about being seen, i was tempted to wear a flashing bike light at night, but that would confuse drivers as to whether i was really stopping or not). In a sea of red tail lights of slow moving cars on the highway if it keeps flashing it might not be a bad thing.

thanks for the info, at least it appears to be "normal"
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #6
linkinpark9812
ninjette.org member

Name: Miles

Motorcycle(s): Black 2012 Ninja 250R

Most LED lights for cars uses resistors to reduce voltage rather than a voltage regulator. That makes them sensitive to voltages. However, usually you only get problems with a low voltage where the LEDs go out and/or flicker.

However, yours is happening when you should have the most power. It could be noise from the regulator. I would try the capacitor mentioned above. This will help smooth it out and give the LED a bit of an electrical buffer.

Would be good to get a volt meter. Maybe the regulator is failing where too much/too little voltage is going out and that could be a problem (and maybe the LED is showing the symptom first before any other electronics, so I wouldn't ignore it).
linkinpark9812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #7
ryker
chaos theory

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r SE ; 2007 ZZR600

I have a similar issue and it also affects the integrated turn signals. When the turn signal is on with the engine running, the sequence starts fine, but then does like a random double blink. Engine off it works as it should.

Below is a video showing it working with the engine off, but when running it acts goofy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxJUcE0dhKQ

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by Alex; April 4th, 2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added youtube tags
ryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #8
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
It might be physical vibration from the running engine, as opposed to an electrical difference, causing issues.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote