ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I will never ever say anything negative about H-D people

In an earlier thread, I mentioned that I messed up L-3 in my back--very painful but manageable with OTC Pain pills. I tried softening up the suspension on the Ninja, and after an hour my right side goes numb. I went to the doctor at the VA and his judgnent was that riding the Ninja would continue to cause problems. Sure, resting my back over the winter would help, but in the spring the pounding one gets on our wonderful Maine roads would start the problem again. I told him that I would have to reluctantly sell the Ninja and give up motorcycling altogether. His judgment was that a comfortable touring bike would keep me in the sport. My response was that in no way would my wife go along with another bike (She is terrified of anything on two wheels) The doctor offered to call my wife--which totally blew me away. At any rate, he explained that motorcycling is not something someone just stops doing unless they were in a crash--and even then more often than that, they return to riding. He actually got my wife to agree with him. He suggested a heavier more softly sprung touring machine like a BMW or Honda. The good doctor rides a Harley-Davidson Road King and has been riding for ten years. To make a long story short, I will be picking up a 2010 Honda NT-700V tomorrow afternoon. The dealer gave me $2900 for my 08 Ninja with 12000 miles on the clock because it was in such exceptional condition. I guess I'll be moving into the Ex-Ninja column tomorrow.

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Really?

I suffer from two herniated discs (L4/L5) and I personally found the Ninja250R's ergonomics so upright it helped my back.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #3
wild-bill
seeking twisties

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 650R, '09 250R special edition

Yes the 250R is kinda hard on my back also. The rear suspension is at its softest setting. But putting the Airhawk seat pad on helps alot-the stock seat is very hard-not good on bumpy roads. I'm going to send my seat to Spencer's seat mods in FL. Maybe you should have tried to do something to soften the seat before buying another bike. Anyway, congrats on the NT700 and i hope it works out for you.

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Really?

I suffer from two herniated discs (L4/L5) and I personally found the Ninja250R's ergonomics so upright it helped my back.
Nemesis, Ninja's ergos are great. Maine roads are loaded with frost heaves. My age (69) is also working against me. Up until a month or two ago, I had no problem doing 200 to 500 milers. That would pose a real problem now.

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #5
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

L4-L5 here -- I feel your pain! I hope the NT700-V works out really well for you!

And to your doctor! It's awesome when they want to help get you back to your old tricks. My spine doc took the MSF class with his son while I was under his care, which I thought was awesome.

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #6
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Congrats Alex!!!!! Don't hang your head on the departure of Ninja250 status just consider it the right of passage to comfort and a far more relaxing ride. I picked up a Vulcan 900 Classic just for that reason. Kept the 250 for spirited around town rides, but the Classic is 1st choice on those long haul day trips around the state. Its the best thing I've done in extending my rides and being totally comfortable. I can ride all day on that thing, the Ninja gives me a few aches and pains when in the saddle all day but its not terribly bad yet. Again, enjoy it Alex.... its not goodbye from this site, its see you around the corner on the road to comfort my friend!
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Sailariel

Carolyn, I'll miss the little Ninja. I have never owned a bike that handled as well--and I have owned a lot of bikes. I did change seats--got a Corbin, and that helped some, and put the suspension on soft. The problem is a combination of very bad roads--frost heaves--sometimes you feel like you are going off a jump, and the overall lightness of the machine. When I leave Maine, and travel in New York State, the roads are better and the problem is less pronounced. Of course, I could ride all day at the track in Loudon--that's as smooth as a pool table.

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #8
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congratulations Alex. Keep on riding bud.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #9
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Alex, please give us a detailed review of your nt700. That is one bike that is on my short list. Congrats on the new ride
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I'm sorry you had to give up the ninja, Alex. Hopefully the Honda treats you just as well! At least you're still riding, right?
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Congrats Alex. I know a guy who has one and likes it alot. His BMW friends look down on it (he has a K series also), but he says its a great bike for sport touring. He is also adding the CBR250 to his stable as soon as its available.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #12
ahenthus
ninjette.org member

Name: Claude

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1994 HD Sportster, 1975 Yamaha XS650B and many works in progress.

I hope you enjoy your new Honda. Getting to another part of your post, I really don't understand why anyone bashes the bikes other people ride. I've noticed a lot of HD bashing on different bike forums and many HD riders bash everything not HD. I think BMW riders seem to be the most intolerant of HDs. I think BMW makes a great line of bikes but there isn't any reason for snobbery. I've ridden for 50 years on a variety of machinery and one of my favorites has been my 94 Sportster. I think HD has made a quality motorcycle for at least the last 20 years. I've never had any trouble from my Sportster since new. I really don't like the big fat HDs but plenty of people do and humans come in all shapes and sizes and with all kinds of likes and dislikes. My one concession to big fat ass bikes is an old Aspencade. I'm fortunate enough to have a fleet of different types, but since I got my Ninjette a few months ago I've enjoyed it more than any previous bike I've ever had. I tell people all the time that I've never had as much fun on a motorcycle as I'm having now on my Ninja. I'm 63 and the Ninja is comfortable for about an hour before my butt starts aching. I'm ready to order a Corbin seat for it in hopes that it'll cure that problem. Just enjoy riding and don't worry what others ride. They're into their own thing, what's the harm.
ahenthus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #13
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

OMGoat!! bless that doctor and your wife. They both rock
The lil ninja is lowered so is a hard ride on the potholes around here so I understand. I am so excited for you!! Enjoy the ride.

Old November 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #14
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Alex, you should have at least test rode a Harley. You never know, you might have liked it.

Old November 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #15
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Alex, you should have at least test rode a Harley. You never know, you might have liked it.
Uh huh.. he just might have.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #16
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I expect a full, well written, review of the NT700V!!! I like that bike a lot. I'm eager to hear what you have to say about it!!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

i'm sorry you had to give up your baby ninjette Alex, but thats super awesome of the doctor to go out of his way to call up your wife. Sounds like wifey had no choice if a professional doctor is recommending the bike. lol Can't wait to hear your feedback on the new bike! you better not leave here and go to some other site though...i'll hunt you down i say!

Old November 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #18
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Alex, enjoy the NT700-V! Like others, I expect a full report. I sat on one at a dealer and they are ergonomically quite comfortable.

Old November 16th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #19
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Good luck on the new ride, hope its better for your back.

I had to google "Honda NT-700V" to see what your were getting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda NT-700V.jpg (71.0 KB, 13 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #20
Sailariel

Kerry, Mine is not that wild. It is a very nice metallic burgundy. Paulette, you know I couldn't leave you--we are friends, after all. C.C. I did try a Harley 1200. Nice bike, but not a touring machine. I was more interested in smooth, reliable, and shaft drive. I looked at BMW, but they are too tall for my 30" inseam and are not the value the Honda is. I too, have been riding for 50 years on and off and have probably owned at least 20 bikes of different makes. I did own a Harley K 61cubic inches 1958. It was a lot of fun and shook like a thrashing machine. The smoothest bike I ever owned--smoother than the NT-700V was a 350 JAWA. That was a bike way ahead of its time. The bike I owned the longest--1959 to 1982 was an NSU Special Max 250, 1956. That was my all time favorite. The noisiest and biggest PITA bike ever was a Dunstall Norton 750 Cafe Racer 1969. Beautiful bike, but an electrical system that had to have been designed by the devil (Miller). Well, I have reached another crossroad in my cycling career. I hate to admit it, but this bod, which is rapidly approaching 69, took a bit of a thrashing from the Ninjette. In all fairness--The Ninjette has to be the best handling bike on this planet. It is fun, inexpensive, reliable, and for a 250 is a freaking rocket. The looks are stunning, In my opinion, there is no better 250 available--except a 250R with FI (coming soon, I am sure). This forum has been the best around and I plan on staying with you Ninjette owners and provide any insights that I might have. Don't colour me gone--I have too many friends here who have helped me through good times and bad. Special thanks to Alex, Kkim. Kerry, Paulette, Apex, CC, Lil one, Sunny, Zartan (I'll continue to pray for Jon Broom, Custom Creations (I think I'll have her make a seat for me), and Tin. and the countless others, like Shrink--Old Guy--memory is failing, You know what I mean. I'll be in touch. Cheers, Alex

Old November 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #21
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

You better stay in touch, or I'm going to ride up there and kick your butt!

I want pictures and a review. I'm jealous. Those things are nice.

Old November 17th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #22
Sailariel

Can't do much of a review yet. I brought the bike home last night and it has been pouring rain since 2 this morning. The ride home in the dark with an unfamiliar bike was interesting. I was nicely lined up for a curve, countersteered, settled in on a nice angle, and I catch 4 deer in my high beam. Fortunately there was no traffic in the oncoming lane--I was lucky to see sort of around the turn. I managed to get the bike vertical, and hit the brakes hard. It's the first time I used ABS on a bike--Wow! I did manage to stall the bike because I was not quick enough to pull in the clutch. After an underwear change, I rode home. So, I guess, so far the only thing to report is that the bike has very good lights and unbelievable brakes. I hope to get a nice clear day to try things out. One interesting feature the press never mentioned is that you can change your shock preload on the fly. The dash is also quite informative. Besides the analog speedo and tach, there are two trip meters, temp guage, fuel guage, a digital clock, average gas milage, and current gas milage. There are also the usual "idiot lights", oil, alternator, high beam, neutral, etc. What I really like are the massive flush mounted turn signals. You can't leave them on by accident because they emit a loud beep. The mirrors are also great. The seat is very comfortable and huge.

Old November 17th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #23
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
but this bod, which is rapidly approaching 69...
I refuse to believe that. No. Nuh-uh. No way. Impossible.

If that's true, I want to be JUST LIKE YOU riding around when I'm older .
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #24
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

Alex, congrats on the new ride. I helped my (former Harley-rider) boss when he decided to give up the HD, and the NT is the bike I picked for him. Unfortunately, he went behind my back the next weekend and bought another cruiser instead. His loss; the NT is a great bike.

Old November 18th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #25
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Can't do much of a review yet. I brought the bike home last night and it has been pouring rain since 2 this morning. The ride home in the dark with an unfamiliar bike was interesting. I was nicely lined up for a curve, countersteered, settled in on a nice angle, and I catch 4 deer in my high beam. Fortunately there was no traffic in the oncoming lane--I was lucky to see sort of around the turn. I managed to get the bike vertical, and hit the brakes hard. It's the first time I used ABS on a bike--Wow! I did manage to stall the bike because I was not quick enough to pull in the clutch. After an underwear change, I rode home. So, I guess, so far the only thing to report is that the bike has very good lights and unbelievable brakes. I hope to get a nice clear day to try things out. One interesting feature the press never mentioned is that you can change your shock preload on the fly. The dash is also quite informative. Besides the analog speedo and tach, there are two trip meters, temp guage, fuel guage, a digital clock, average gas milage, and current gas milage. There are also the usual "idiot lights", oil, alternator, high beam, neutral, etc. What I really like are the massive flush mounted turn signals. You can't leave them on by accident because they emit a loud beep. The mirrors are also great. The seat is very comfortable and huge.
You aren't helping me here. Now I really want one! hahahaha

My wife will be mad at you.....I can see it now.

Old November 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #26
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRivero View Post
Alex, congrats on the new ride. I helped my (former Harley-rider) boss when he decided to give up the HD, and the NT is the bike I picked for him. Unfortunately, he went behind my back the next weekend and bought another cruiser instead. His loss; the NT is a great bike.
Debbi, I missed you. I thought that you had left the forum. You made my day by chiming in. I think that your friend would have loved the NT

Old November 18th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #27
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleak21 View Post
I refuse to believe that. No. Nuh-uh. No way. Impossible.

If that's true, I want to be JUST LIKE YOU riding around when I'm older .
The plan for my 70th birthday is to ride the NT from Maine to Zephyrhills, FL.,and spend a week sky diving. This sort of planning keeps you keeping on and helps develop a superior crap filter--people have said that I can put up with a lot of crap before I get a little irritated--It's a Zen Thing.

Old November 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #28
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Congrats on the new ride! I wish to still be able to ride when I reach your age. Damn, skydiving too! You sir, are an inspiration. I want to be like you when I grow up, well... grow older that is. I'm 37 going on 15
WERA #273 Novice
Boogeyman Racing.
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #29
Sailariel

Joel, You have the right attitude. You will make it if that is what you decide to do.

Old May 27th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #30
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahenthus View Post
I hope you enjoy your new Honda. Getting to another part of your post, I really don't understand why anyone bashes the bikes other people ride. I've noticed a lot of HD bashing on different bike forums and many HD riders bash everything not HD. I think BMW riders seem to be the most intolerant of HDs. I think BMW makes a great line of bikes but there isn't any reason for snobbery. ..... Just enjoy riding and don't worry what others ride. They're into their own thing, what's the harm.
Amen to that , I've owned and ridden everything from all the Japs, through CZ, MZ, Cagiva, Voskhod, (yes, really ! ), Puch Maxi, (don't laugh), though my favourites are Brit bikes, Triumphs especially, (old ones, pre-war, before the meriden factory was even built), but a bikes a bike, and good or bad, they're all fun one way or another .......
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #31
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I just watched the south park episode about Harley riders . SO I ain't sayin nothing. I have some very good friends that have Harley's BUT I did have to laugh when I saw this thread.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #32
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer x View Post
i just watched the south park episode about harley riders . So i ain't sayin nothing. I have some very good friends that have harley's but i did have to laugh when i saw this thread.
brumm-brummm-brummm

lol
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #33
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

There are alot of sportbikes/touring bikes out there that would probably fit the bill.

I was looking at a BMW R1200LT a while back for some long distance riding. It was the most comfortable thing Ive climbed on ever. It felt like a berkolounger on two wheels. It totally beat out every harley, goldwing, etc that Ive ever been on.

The FJR, and Kawasaki Concourse are both really comfortable too, with the right seat.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote