ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 5th, 2021, 03:14 PM   #1
blanzer
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Nicholas
Location: Venice
Join Date: Mar 2020

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Posts: 14
Overheated bike. Wonít start now

I have a 2005 Ninja 250. Yesterday I had left my moms place and when I started the bike I noticed when it was warming up that it got hotter than usually. It was late at night so I didnít really notice anything or think about it. I rode off and about a mile or 2 I stopped to text somebody. I then proceeded to go on the freeway and went another few miles and felt the bike losing power and overheated so I pulled over. Seems that the bolt that holds the pipe from the radiator to the water pump fell out and the pipe popped off and I lost all my coolant. Most of which was at my moms place when I went back. How I made it as far as I did I have no clue. Today I replaced the bolt and I put in new coolant. I tried to start it and it cranks but wonít turn over. Is the engine shot? I found a very similar situation on another post from 2012 but they never said what the result was.
blanzer is offline   Reply With Quote




Old June 5th, 2021, 06:26 PM   #2
Artruck
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Ben
Location: Lawrence
Join Date: Jul 2018

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ex250 (black), silver 2005 ex250 scrambler, 2003 ex250 donor bike, 2006 kymco people 250

Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanzer View Post
I have a 2005 Ninja 250. Yesterday I had left my moms place and when I started the bike I noticed when it was warming up that it got hotter than usually. It was late at night so I didnít really notice anything or think about it. I rode off and about a mile or 2 I stopped to text somebody. I then proceeded to go on the freeway and went another few miles and felt the bike losing power and overheated so I pulled over. Seems that the bolt that holds the pipe from the radiator to the water pump fell out and the pipe popped off and I lost all my coolant. Most of which was at my moms place when I went back. How I made it as far as I did I have no clue. Today I replaced the bolt and I put in new coolant. I tried to start it and it cranks but wonít turn over. Is the engine shot? I found a very similar situation on another post from 2012 but they never said what the result was.
Pull your spark plugs, running really hot can damage them and cause a no spark. It can also mess with valves, so I would do a compression test too.
Artruck is offline   Reply With Quote


Old June 6th, 2021, 12:12 AM   #3
blanzer
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Nicholas
Location: Venice
Join Date: Mar 2020

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artruck View Post
Pull your spark plugs, running really hot can damage them and cause a no spark. It can also mess with valves, so I would do a compression test too.
Never done it before but seems simple enough. Iíll go pick up a kit tomorrow. I guess either way I have to remove the spark plugs so hopefully itís nothing serious. Will be back with an update tomorrow.
blanzer is offline   Reply With Quote


Old June 6th, 2021, 12:05 PM   #4
blanzer
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Nicholas
Location: Venice
Join Date: Mar 2020

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Posts: 14
Update: pulled the plugs and the left one was covered in oil. Did the compression test. Got 105 reading on the right and 0 on the left lol. Not good.
blanzer is offline   Reply With Quote


Old June 6th, 2021, 07:57 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter
 
jkv45's Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Location: WI
Join Date: Jul 2013

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Couple things you can do to check for damage would be to pull the valve cover and look at the cams/rockers for galling, and drop the oil to look for bronze colored flakes in the oil that would confirm toasted bearings.

I'm thinking you may have a cam/rocker issue that is causing a valve to hang open and not give any compression.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old June 7th, 2021, 04:55 PM   #6
blanzer
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Nicholas
Location: Venice
Join Date: Mar 2020

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Couple things you can do to check for damage would be to pull the valve cover and look at the cams/rockers for galling, and drop the oil to look for bronze colored flakes in the oil that would confirm toasted bearings.

I'm thinking you may have a cam/rocker issue that is causing a valve to hang open and not give any compression.
I did end up doing that and saw some scrapings near the top but otherwise everything seemed normal. I cranked it a bit from the bottom and it did seem a little rough but I canít recall exactly how it felt when I did my valve adjustment. Mightíve been a mental thing. I will drop the oil to test. I was already told by my friend that itís done so I didnít bother to check for that. I will take some pictures of the top too.
blanzer is offline   Reply With Quote


Old June 11th, 2021, 02:37 AM   #7
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru
 
Mohawk's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Location: Bristol, UK
Join Date: Feb 2016

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Posts: 425
Sounds like you melted the left piston hence oil in the bore. Or badly scraped it whilst overheated. The bottom end oiling may have saved the crank bearings, but you will have to pull the top end. If the valves & cams survived you may get away with a head skim and get a set of over size or bigbore pistons with a rebore to suit.

Lesson learned here if engine runs hotter than normal. Stop & find the cause !

Hope you get it sorted.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote


Old June 11th, 2021, 02:54 PM   #8
PaleHorse
Moto Nut
 
Name: Yes, I have one
Location: On the coast
Join Date: Feb 2021

Motorcycle(s): Harley Davidson Road King, Yamaha FZ1, 92 Ninja 250, 95 Ninja 250

Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
Sounds like you melted the left piston hence oil in the bore. Or badly scraped it whilst overheated. The bottom end oiling may have saved the crank bearings, but you will have to pull the top end. If the valves & cams survived you may get away with a head skim and get a set of over size or bigbore pistons with a rebore to suit.

Lesson learned here if engine runs hotter than normal. Stop & find the cause !

Hope you get it sorted.
Overheated my first 250 over 20 years ago only to find coolant in the oil after the bike started to run poorly. These motors do not like to be ran hot!
PaleHorse is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike won't start and backfires when trying to start TrickyTriggs General Motorcycling Discussion 30 April 16th, 2018 08:35 PM
Bike won't start .. james250ninja 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk 7 August 1st, 2017 06:27 AM
Bike won't start again kris5495 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk 13 October 20th, 2015 10:35 AM
Bike Won't Start momoru 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk 6 June 18th, 2014 08:34 AM
Bought first bike and 1 day later it won't start: do I have a junk bike? brendandubs 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk 43 May 11th, 2014 07:59 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Motorcycle Safety Foundation

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:51 AM.


remote server monitor
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Except where otherwise noted, all site contents are © Copyright 2021 ninjette.org, All rights reserved.