ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 4th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #1
KChatham
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 1988 EX250 Ninja

Gold Valve Emulators

Hi, I had a question about the race tech emulators.

It is essentially a 3 piece part, the bottom, middle, and the smaller top piece. My question is what is the fit like for the middle and bottom piece? Do you press them together tightly or is it a loose fit?

I'm trying to understand how they work. I know what they do how they do it but it seems to me under the compression stroke the top piece with the low speed hole cut out and the middle piece which has the ports blocked by the shim, would both move under high speed compression.

Thank you,

Kyle
KChatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #2
KChatham
ninjette.org member

Nevermind, I'm retarded and figured it out. The spring compresses the assembly so the middle section can't come off the bottom piece...

Old January 4th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Good info for the next person looking it up.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

So, what does the preloaders do? I mean, are they adjustable or set?
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #5
KChatham
ninjette.org member

Well you can set your preload on the emulator by tightening down the bolt on the emulator. This compresses the spring and so more force is required to achieve high speed compression damping. Basically the transition from low speed to high speed takes more time because more force has to be generated. Is that what you were asking?

Or are you asking about the fork spring preloaders at the top of the forks? These adjust the preload for the springs in the forks but that is insignificant when we are considering the middle piece of the emulator and whether it will separate from the bottom piece. If there was zero preload on the spring there is still sufficient force to keep the emulator together because once the bike is sitting statically( and dynamically) there are enough forces acting through the forks (like the weight of the bike) to insure the emulators middle piece doesn't lift under high speed compression damping.

Does this make any sense?