ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 14th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Razz
ninjette.org member

Name: Gustavo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Opinions for a noob on my new gear.

So I decided not to be a Moron and raise everyone's insurance while I wait for my license.
But I do need opinions on my first Gear set. Don't be shy and please be honest on your opinion. Safety first always.

Jacket: Icon Anthem
http://www.bikebandit.com/icon-anthe...FQU4nAodMhsAsg

Helmet: LS2 FT2
http://www.motovicius.com/boutique/c...-ft2-burn.html

Gloves: Alpinestars sps
http://www.everythingmotorcycles.com...product&id=311

Boots: Cortech Latigo Air
http://images.motorcycle-superstore....Race-Boots.jpg

Pants: RHOK Kevlar Jeans

http://rhok.com.au/jeans.htm

If I'm missing anything or have some better advice please let me know.

thanks,
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #2
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Hey man, good on ya' for taking your gear seriously. I think it looks like a pretty good start, but would just say the following FWIW:

1. I would not get a full mesh jacket, if you can stand it. It says there are 'impact panels', but I couldn't see details about how good or extensive they are. Anyway, you may want to at least look to make sure that there is 600-1000D panels covering all impact zones (minimally: elbows/forearms and shoulders).

2. While those gloves are pretty good for shorties, I would spring for gauntlets. Your wrists will be completely unprotected, especially with that jacket. My one crash a couple years ago was in shorty gloves, and my only real injuries were a crushed radial nerve and two damaged medial nerves in my wrists. Nerves take years to heal, and I may never have 100% strength back to my hands. For me: gloves and boots are a serious priority, as your extremities take so much impact.

3. I also wear kevlar jeans, as long as I'm not hitting the twisties (leathers only), BUT, I wear KNOX cross leg armor underneath. The armor in the jeans is definitely better than nothing, but has a tendency to move in a crash. I like having something strapped into place.

I like those boots a lot for entry level, and I'm hearing good things about that helmet. Nice job doing some research and asking for advice, and GOOD LUCK!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

I'd recommend getting gauntlet gloves, check out the A* SP2.
You could get a perforated leather jacket for around the same price as the current mesh jacket you have.
Never heard of that helmet brand, so idk.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Avoid mesh jackets if you can; textile is better, even for Florida's summer.

Gloves are too short to protect above your wrists.

For the price of those jeans, you could buy a good protective textile over-pant with integral CE rated protectors for knees and hips.

Most damage occurs to the legs.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Razz
ninjette.org member

Name: Gustavo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Thanks for the advice guys, I will look into the gauntlet gloves and the over pants, the kevlar jeans I got because of a friends experience with them, he had a pretty bad fall and they worked out pretty good for him. The mesh jacket does have decent armor, I went with mesh due to the heat here in Miami, but I rather be hot than unsafe so I will look into something a bit better. This is pretty much my start off set to get back and forth from work and things like that and become accustomed to my bike. Thanks again everyone.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #6
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

I have a mesh jacket and a perforated leather jacket. Once it's hot, it's hot...no matter what you have. I found that the leather jacket is actually cooler though. I was still riding in it when it got up to 115 here. It was ridiculously hot, but protects the skin from the sun/heat better than mesh, imo.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to gear area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz View Post
..........Thanks again everyone.
You are welcome, Gustavo

Some good info here:

http://www.bikesafer.com/injury.html

http://roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/75.html
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz View Post
So I decided not to be a Moron and raise everyone's insurance while I wait for my license.
But I do need opinions on my first Gear set. Don't be shy and please be honest on your opinion. Safety first always.

Jacket: Icon Anthem
http://www.bikebandit.com/icon-anthe...FQU4nAodMhsAsg
If you're going for a mesh jacket I'd suggest something like the KNOX Cross Shirt under it.

Usually I'd recommend leathers, but I don't ride in Florida heat. Perfed leather maybe an idea.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #10
MistahT
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 FZ6R, 2006 Ninja 250, 1977 Suzuki GS550

I'm looking at the Latigo Air as an upgraded boot for myself. I have an Icon Contra, same thing but half mesh and half textile. The full mesh stuff I've worn doesn't feel as safe, but I bake in the Contra come summertime. I don't think I'll buy another Icon jacket though but I might have to get a mesh. My zipper teeth pop out sometimes (I'm not that fat, this is actually a size big on me) and I've had many loose strings. Just my 2 cents.
MistahT is offline   Reply With Quote