ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 27th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1
peterpayne
ninjette.org member

Name: Pedro

Motorcycle(s): Pregen body with a newgen engine.

Question Adapting bike/suspension to my weight/height?

Hello everybody,

I'm a beginner I recently acquired my ninjette, and with my riding that's never been longer than 30 minutes at a time, and the corbin seat it came with, it feels pretty comfortable.

I'm using some mechanic gloves I got at harbor freight, and driving on the mexican side of the border with uneven streets and pot-holes a plenty (great to practice swerving) the vibration gets to my hands (that numb tingling sensation), it's getting better as I learn to relax my grip, and there's some riding gloves with better protection on the way, so that may help.

Considering that I'm very happy with my baby, I don't see how I would ever want to sell it so I though it would be nice to ask around on what would be the most basic and essential upgrades or mods for a 300lbs 6'4" rider.

I think I'd really like the seat to be a couple of inches taller, I guess fork springs more apt for my weight may be a good thing, a stronger shock, what would you recommend, and how much would I be looking to spend?

Should I just forget about it for now and come back to this in a year when I'm more experienced and better understand what I'd like to improve on my bike?
peterpayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I recommend this reading, amigo Pedro:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Suspension

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_reshape_my_seat

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Reducin...tpeg_vibration
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #3
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpayne View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm a beginner I recently acquired my ninjette, and with my riding that's never been longer than 30 minutes at a time, and the corbin seat it came with, it feels pretty comfortable.

I'm using some mechanic gloves I got at harbor freight, and driving on the mexican side of the border with uneven streets and pot-holes a plenty (great to practice swerving) the vibration gets to my hands (that numb tingling sensation), it's getting better as I learn to relax my grip, and there's some riding gloves with better protection on the way, so that may help.

Considering that I'm very happy with my baby, I don't see how I would ever want to sell it so I though it would be nice to ask around on what would be the most basic and essential upgrades or mods for a 300lbs 6'4" rider.

I think I'd really like the seat to be a couple of inches taller, I guess fork springs more apt for my weight may be a good thing, a stronger shock, what would you recommend, and how much would I be looking to spend?

Should I just forget about it for now and come back to this in a year when I'm more experienced and better understand what I'd like to improve on my bike?
Id say the most simple fix is the better gloves. once you log some miles with them then think about different grips.

Old July 27th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #4
peterpayne
ninjette.org member

Name: Pedro

Motorcycle(s): Pregen body with a newgen engine.

Thanks @Motofool and @fishdip !!!
peterpayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #5
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

hey welcome to the forum, few things real quick

never use mechanix gloves for riding they will peel off, someone on this forum stopped me from using them by showing me a pic of his hands after getting in a wreck with them. good gloves can be bought for cheap.

the numb hands thing, i know a fix for it! it happened to me and alot of people that i know that ride, but only happened when they where new. i figured out the reason, nothing about vibrating or gloves, its all about holding the handles too tight. thats why the numbness stops after you have been riding for a year or two, you dont freak out and you relax your hands. there are two ways to fix this, stretch your hands out as you ride holding the throttle or clutch with just two fingers. or practice gently holding the grips anytime you realize your holding em tight. i promise this will work it took me about 2 weeks to get myself to stop, and on long rides or in the rain it still happens every once in a while.

motofool is right, like always... you will learn, he is like the yoda of the forum, very wise.

Old July 28th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #6
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

First off, do you have access to larger motorcycles? Everything about the ninja was built for a small rider. I'm 130 lbs and the front forks are sprung way too softly for me. The rear shock was also soft so I swapped it for a new gen shock. I know people ride two up on these bikes but if you are looking for a better option I hate to say this but a bigger bike. Even the brakes aren't up to the task anymore. You will spend more money making this bike adapt to you than purchasing a larger motorcycle.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote