ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 13th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #1
tommycruising
ninjette.org newbie

Name: b

Motorcycle(s): cbr600rr

using 'lowering' links to RAISE the rear of the bike?

First post on the site, although I've already got a lot of questions answered by kkim.

Had an odd sounding 'mod' tossed my way the other day and since I have never had a need of raising or lowering a sportbike, I don't know if it would work or not...

But I was told that putting a larger bike's 'lowering links' on the 250 would actually RAISE the rear, giving it a more aggressive stance. The person who had done it on his 250 spoke specifically of using Hayabusa links but I suppose most of the bigger supersports links would work. Any confirmation of the possibility of this either way?...

I just don't understand the logistics of lowering at all, ...are lowering links shorter or longer than stock links?...and would another bike's lowering links even fit on the 250?...

I'll be switching over to the 250r from a 600rr soon and am quite intrigued with the probability of this, so any help would be much appreciated

btw, great site!
tommycruising is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #2
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Hi B - there's some good discussion in the DIY thread for using the roaring toyz links - that might help answer some of your questions.
and welcome!

Old March 13th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
If you scan down to the bottom of this page you will find similar threads.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Good idea but I would think using a different monoshock with a longer stroke would do the job better, possibly from one of the bigger ninjas.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #5
tommycruising
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the suggestions about the 'monoshocks' and the recommended reading...have read through all of it thoroughly and seem to have better bearings on the logistics of the lowering links.

A specific question then for Noche seeing that you were the one who posted the well done DIY...From what I've read about them, it seems most lowering links allow 4 or 5 adjustable heights, being able to scroll from the STOCK height to progressively lower heights. Was this true with your roaring toyz links Noche or did I hear wrong? For example, are you currently able to restore the 'stock' rear height of your 250 with those same links on your bike, or can you only go lower with them on?

I did some research and the RT links for the 250 "look" near identical to those of the 6r and 10r. If the lowering links allow the bike to scroll between its stock height and then 4 lower settings, then surely the ability to adjust the 250's rear to what would be the 10r's "stock height" would be far more than enough of a 'raise in the tail'.

Does this make sense Noche and am I correct in my thinking?...

Old March 13th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #6
kkim

have you thought of lowering the front instead of raising the back?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #7
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

If you get Soupy's adjustable links you can use them to raise the rear of the bike: http://www.soupysperformance.com/

The links are set for a lot of lowering adjustment and a little raising. If you call Soupy's they can give you links that are set up to raise the rear instead of lowering it. I set my dogbones about 9mm shorter than stock.

Lowering the front gives quicker steering but also eats up valuable ground clearance. Much better to go up in the rear. Increasing the swingarm angle also reduces rear end squat to make turning easier.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #8
kkim

watch out using soupy's links on the new gens. people have had problems with them not fitting right. guess they work well for the pre gens.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #9
tommycruising
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
have you thought of lowering the front instead of raising the back?
Would you call me greedy to want both?

I'll be lowering the front either way, hopefully following your own excellent "how to" about that kkim ...the possibility of also raising the rear, especially by how cheap/easy such a mod would be is hard to pass up.

I understand that such mods will drastically change the 'ride', but coming from a bike (600rr) that has a rake of about 23.55, my natural riding style is on the 'very aggressive' side. And so that 26 degree steering angle of the 250 is rough for me to even imagine. Preferring the twisties over stunting or speeding, hopefully tinkering a little on the front AND the back make for a nice 'race-like' setup...getting the 250 anywhere near 23 degrees would be GREAT for me

Old March 13th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #10
tommycruising
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelGuy View Post
If you get Soupy's adjustable links you can use them to raise the rear of the bike:
Thanks for the website 2WheelGuy. Already sent them an email about their 'raising links' which seemed to fit every bike on earth BUT the 250, lol. Although they may just be what I was looking for so thankyou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelGuy View Post
The links are set for a lot of lowering adjustment and a little raising.
Do you have the links on your bike?...I read over the site and they made it seem that the older gen bike could be raised, like you mentioned, but the new gen can only go lower from the stock
From Soupy's website:
These turnbuckle style raising/lowering links for the 86-07 Ninja 250 are infinitely adjustable between a 1 1/2 inch raise and a 4 inch drop and 2008 between stock height and lowered 4 inches.

Do you have some raised on a newer gen bike?

Old March 14th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #11
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycruising View Post
Would you call me greedy to want both?

I'll be lowering the front either way, hopefully following your own excellent "how to" about that kkim ...the possibility of also raising the rear, especially by how cheap/easy such a mod would be is hard to pass up.

I understand that such mods will drastically change the 'ride', but coming from a bike (600rr) that has a rake of about 23.55, my natural riding style is on the 'very aggressive' side. And so that 26 degree steering angle of the 250 is rough for me to even imagine. Preferring the twisties over stunting or speeding, hopefully tinkering a little on the front AND the back make for a nice 'race-like' setup...getting the 250 anywhere near 23 degrees would be GREAT for me
Remember, do ALL OF THE MATH. It's not all about rake, trail and wheel base has a lot to do with it, too.

Old March 14th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #12
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycruising View Post
Do you have the links on your bike?...I read over the site and they made it seem that the older gen bike could be raised, like you mentioned, but the new gen can only go lower from the stock
Do you have some raised on a newer gen bike?
I have Soupy's links on an old gen bike. I had Soupy's make them shorter so that they are more adjustable in raising the bike.

My new gen bike has a Penske shock which has height adjustment built in. Racing regs. here forbid modified linkage.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #13
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Subscribed...
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

BTW, TheDuck retrofitted a ZX6R shock and consequently raised the rear. He ended up lowering the bike after however... read: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36055

Oh and Woodcraft clip-ons will help with your stance (and lower the front end), as well as aftermarket rearsets or rearset adjusters.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

OK, I want to raise the rear on a pregen but it has newgen rear suspension (shock, linkage, swingarm, and wheel). What are my options?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
OK, I want to raise the rear on a pregen but it has newgen rear suspension (shock, linkage, swingarm, and wheel). What are my options?
new dogbones made from quarter inch steel flat bar. measure current dogbone lengths, every inch you want the rear raised, move the hole closer half an inch.... dont quote me on those numbers :P

Old June 12th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
new dogbones made from quarter inch steel flat bar. measure current dogbone lengths, every inch you want the rear raised, move the hole closer half an inch.... dont quote me on those numbers :P
Thanks. Any idea why Soupy's doesn't work for raising?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i donno soupys. if they can be shorter than stock they will be able to raise. but why spend lots of money when you can spend a little money