ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 5th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - 2015 CSC RX-3 Cyclone Adventure-Tourer Preview

CSC Motorcycles U.S.A. will be bringing in the RX-3 Cyclone Adventure-Touring bike into the United States by early next year, all for the remarkable introductory price of just $2895. The bike will be powered by a 250cc, fuel-injected, liquid-cooled, Single with four valves, overhead camshaft, disc brakes, adjustable suspension, six-speed transmission, luggage rack, and even a one-year warranty. Basically everything you’d expect from a proper motorcycle.

Never heard of CSC or the RX-3 Cyclone? Here’s a little background: The RX-3, which draws certain similarities to the BMW F800GS and Honda NC700X, is a bike developed by Zhongshen*in China and is already available in several world markets. CSC will just rebadge them.*CSC is part of Pro One, a company that also makes accessories for Volkswagens and V-Twins. It also used to make boutique choppers during the years before the Great Recession. Their relationship with Zhongshen began by buying 250cc motors for its Mustang, an oddball cruiser/scooter that is a recreation of something from the 1950s.*

When CSC reps saw the RX-3 during a visit to Zhongshen’s factory, they were impressed with the bike’s contemporary appearance and level of equipment, so they decided to import the RX-3 for American riders who are looking for an entry-level Adventure-Touring motorcycle at a price that just can’t be beat.

“Our first shipment of RX-3 Cyclones will sell for $2,895, and we’re taking names for the first increment at this price now,” said Steve Seidner, President and Chief Executive Officer of CSC Motorcycles. *“After the first shipment leaves the port, our retail price will be $3,495, which is still an exceptional deal for this motorcycle.”*Seidner explained that the company is making a splash with the $2,895 introductory price to highlight the new motorcycle.

“We think a 250cc motorcycle is the perfect size for real world adventure touring,” Seidner said. *“The bike has a sensible saddle height (31.3 in.), it can cruise at highway speeds all day long, it has comfortable ergonomics, and it has the right ground clearance and tires for off-road explorations. We didn’t want to offer another “me, too” 700-lb adventure bike that requires a 38-inch inseam and costs as much as a new car. Our niche is high-quality small motorcycles. It’s where the market is going. We think this bike makes a lot of sense, and we know Zongshen’s quality is top notch. Zongshen is one of the largest motorcycle manufacturers in the world, and the engines we buy from them for our CSC line of Mustang replicas have performed flawlessly.”

CSC claims its 250cc Thumper puts out 24.8 horsepower, which is respectable for the class. Other notable features include a 3D antifog fisheye headlamp, LED lights, a travel suitcase, and a multifunctional USB interface.

The RX-3 Cyclone has yet to go thru DOT, EPA and CARB testing, but CSC rep, Joe Berk, says the process*shouldn’t take longer than 90 days for full 50-state certification, so U.S. deliveries are expected early in the New Year.*CSC will maintain a full complement of parts and accessories for the RX-3 Cyclone motorcycle at its Azusa, California facility.

For the introductory $2895 offer, riders should call CSC’s toll-free number (800-884-4173) to be included on the list of first-shipment buyers. When the bike completes the US certification process, those wishing to purchase one of the new CSC Cyclone motorcycles (and who have reserved a spot on the list) will need to provide a $500 deposit. Interested parties should contact CSC Motorcycles at the number above, or visit their website for more information.

The RX-3 will be available in orange, blue, white or red.

2015 CSC RX-3 Cyclone Adventure-Tourer Preview appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...

Old December 3rd, 2014, 03:53 PM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
ADVPulse did their first test ride: http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/cs...e-rx-3-review/

i am seriously getting into this bike. It's small, light weight, and I am so comfortable on a 250 engine that having an off road capable bike is perfect. Plus, the now price of $3495 is still reasonable for a new bike that comes with all the extra stuff.

I likey!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 05:02 PM   #3
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Hmm, looks pretty cool and the price is nice. Will have to see about reliability and dealer support.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2014, 05:58 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
The threads I am seeing on ADV and ChinaRider something or other are saying these engines are really good as they are basically Hondas. One guy really pushing it has over 67k miles on his Zongshen 200.

CSC is claiming they'll have all the parts in stock in their CA store for easy shipping and I like that they are saying the shop manual comes with the bike.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 06:42 PM   #5
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Yeah I kind of figured that since a lot of moto engines coming out of China right now are some sort of Honda copy. Still the thought of a 250 single loaded with gear on the highway doesn't instill much confidence in me.

For around the same price I could pick up a used, but still in good condition, dr, klr, or v-strom 650. Which I think is about the perfect size for an adventure bike, and the extra passing power would be much appreciated.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:13 PM   #6
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Unless the stock seat height of the DR and KLR are too high.

It's "cheap" enough as a couple year learning bike. If it holds up, bonus. If not, take the skills into a different bike.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:27 PM   #7
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Agreed, it would be a good beginner adventure bike. Although how many beginners are taking extended trips? It's a cool inexpensive bike though, so if there's a market for it then more power to em. It's just not for me.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:27 PM   #8
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Looks like a super fun little bike. I still would probably prefer a new honda XR250 or just buy a nice used DR XR KLR .... but I am open to anything.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #9
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Well, bugger.

Noticed that the price listed had a tag on it saying "through the end of this year." So I called to find out what the guesstimate was going to be for next year. Told it may be around $3,895 next year, though they are taking deposits now to lock in the current price.

Silly thing is inching up there into the reasonable price range, which is also putting it too close to the available Japanese bikes. Granted it does have all the farkles on it already but ....

Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:59 PM   #10
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Cyclone RX-3 250cc ADV Bike. Anyone for a small ADV bike?

Manufactured by Zongshen, the RX3 is getting quite a bit of interest. CSC (California Scooter Co) is importing the bike and it just passed EPA for 49 states (sorry CA).

From what I have read, the build quality and features of the RX3 are a step above what is typically thought of from a Chinese bike: LED lights, 300w electrics, Delphi EFI, 4+ gal. fuel tank. Not bad for a $3,495 price.

The bike is getting some decent reviews and talk:

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/cs...e-rx-3-review/

http://adventuremotorcycle.com/revie...3#.VHzAjdh0xMt

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...-3-review.html

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007040

Link to original page on YouTube.

Jeff

Old January 3rd, 2015, 02:05 PM   #11
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Already been discussed https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195431

Not really interested personally. Not enough power, too heavy for its size, too expensive.

Last futzed with by ninjamunky85; January 3rd, 2015 at 03:07 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2015, 02:25 PM   #12
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Oof, searched and missed the "bot" story. Carry on. Alex, merge this if you want.

Jeff.

Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:30 PM   #13
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

I'm waiting for the improved-upon three-wheeled version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (104.3 KB, 5 views)
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2015, 10:57 PM   #14
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I want one....I think. Of course, I want one of everything

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 4th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #15
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
CSC's blog has a lot of info as well.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/

Old January 10th, 2015, 01:15 AM   #16
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

I got to see one of these bikes up close and personal the other day. I was not impressed. Everything seemed to built a little "light". Nothing had any beefiness to it. I did like the saddlebags though! Small, hard bags that would be fantastic on a Ninja 250!
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #18
FreelancerMG
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2001 V-Star 1100 Classic

Personally I'm a bit leery of it for now. You don't have that much of a huge price difference without cutting a lot of corners to get there. I do know that they save a lot by having a much smaller footprint and logistics network, and saved in R&D by just copying Honda's single, but their automotive department has been a bit sketchy. While they've generally been good at reverse engineering and copying the Japanese automotive equipment and technology, their choice in substandard metallurgy to cut cost has come back to bite them repeatedly. The same kind of growing pains the South Korean automotive companies had to deal with a couple decades ago.
FreelancerMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #19
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Rather than open a new thread, I'll just post here.

So, Monday had a chance of going to CSC and checking out the bike. Seeing as how much smarter riders than I have already had their go at it and published their views, I was not looking to review performance, or build quality, or handling. I wanted to know fit and feel which only comes from actually sitting on it.

Bottom line up front: WANT!

Met Steve at the Azusa store and he took me back to see the bike. The yellow one was in front, so that's the one he rolled out a bit for me to sit on.

Me: 5'4", 29" inseam, and wearing Tourmaster Solution 2.0 boots.

Hopping on was no different than what I do with my Ninja, use the peg to lift me up and kick over the tail bag before sitting. In the shop, the bike felt balanced and light in that as I was sitting still, the bike didn't want to fall one way or the other (as I've found KLRs do). My feet came down so where I was between the balls of my feet and tip toes with both feet down. A slight roll to the side was enough to bring me down on the ball of my foot. Steve mentioned they are working on an optional seat that they will have cut down 1.5" (2"? Call to confirm.) that will lower the seat height more.

The handlebars felt fine height wise, but once rolling, felt awkward to me in that my hands were much further out than I was used to. Because of my small arms and hands, it really felt like I was stretching to reach the controls. Most of this is simply getting used to a new bike and developing muscle memory for the locations of the buttons, but Steve mentioned they could cut the bars and install the grips and controls closer in at my request. He recommended starting with an inch off and working from there.

Steve brought the bike around front for me after I asked to test ride it and gave me a simple 4 mile loop to ride to try things out.

Course, with someone looking over my shoulder I turned into a bumbling idiot. "Go ahead and start the bike," he says. Beeped the horn, I did.

Once all the controls were patiently explained to me, I eased off the clutch to slowly roll forward and attempt a few laps of the parking lot before moving out onto the street. Come on, clutch, where's the friction zone? Further, further, further, and finally! Almost to the point of letting go of the lever entirely. My little hand was stretched out fully before the bike began moving forward. The two laps around the lot went well, got a feel for shifting and braking with some little bursts of acceleration. I am not the best at slow speed u-turns, but this bike felt so balanced that simply leaning out and a bit of throttle got me into a somewhat controlled turn (hey I didn't put my foot down!)

I pulled up to the edge of the driveway to wait for traffic, again just able to reach a bit beyond tip toe but still felt balanced while standing there. Once traffic was clear, a slight twist of the throttle got me out and up to speed. This bike is really responsive and nimble. I felt like I could just tip it and it would fall into the corner I was taking. Once I got over and through another u-turn, I was able to accelerate up to cruising speed until the first intersection.

Stopping at the light, I didn't make a special attempt at parking in the most ideal spot, but still I was able to stand and balance the bike while pressing on the brake. Green light, and again a rapid response from the throttle and the bike just rolled right into the turn and off I went ahead of the traffic.

Aside from the wide bars, everything felt like it just fit. The seating position felt more natural and comfortable than the Ninja, the acceleration was smooth and instant, and I felt really relaxed while moving. I did have to shift faster as the RX3 redlines at 9k, but once I learned the new range I was keeping it happy just purring along. The bike is very quiet, though it does have a different buzz to it that I still was glad for my ear plugs.

I want to say here that while the comfort was the most noticeable thing for me, there was a lot I didn't notice. I didn't notice the ultra buzziness I'd been warned about, I didn't notice any excessive vibrations in my hands or feet, I didn't notice any lag or gutless response from the engine. In all honesty, aside from the obvious height difference, it felt so similar to what I am used to that I simply felt like I was on a bigger Ninjette.

All my nit picky thoughts fell into the category of "adjust my riding or the bike to work" vs "this is just wrong/this won't work". Unlike with the Shadow, whose seating position I found uncomfortable, or with the Z1000 where I knew something was off but couldn't pinpoint it, nothing like that came to mind during my ten minute ride on the RX3.

I am not looking for a replacement Ninja nor am I looking for a big beefy Adventure bike that'll take on the zombie apocalypse single handed. I am looking for a bike that I can take anywhere in Nevada and the Sierra and explore all the back roads the desert has to offer. I want small so I can ride it comfortably, light weight so my weakling self can pick it up, enough speed to not get run over on the rural highways, enough storage for a weekend trip with room for spare gas, and enough power to run heat and lights for four season riding. Everything I have added to my "want" list over the last two years is built into the RX3 with accessories that tip the scale.

And if the zombies show up, I'll just outrun them.

Old February 17th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #20
verboten1

MOTM - June '15
Dang it! That looks like it's a bit small for me then. The KLR is perfect for me ergo wise, the ninja is a bit cramped. One of the best parts I like about adv/dual sports is the wide bars!

Ride more, worry less.

Old February 17th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #21
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Probably it's more I've never had wide bars before so that was a real change. If I can get this, I might ride around for awhile as it is, then start tweaking it.

Old February 17th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #22
verboten1

MOTM - June '15
For sure, going from the KLR to my ninja with clipons was a huge change, and the virago has wide drag style bars too, so it was a change the other way for me

Ride more, worry less.

Old March 20th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #23
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Rather than open a new thread, I'll just post here.

So, Monday had a chance of going to CSC and checking out the bike. Seeing as how much smarter riders than I have already had their go at it and published their views, I was not looking to review performance, or build quality, or handling. I wanted to know fit and feel which only comes from actually sitting on it.

Bottom line up front: WANT!

Met Steve at the Azusa store and he took me back to see the bike. The yellow one was in front, so that's the one he rolled out a bit for me to sit on.

Me: 5'4", 29" inseam, and wearing Tourmaster Solution 2.0 boots.

Hopping on was no different than what I do with my Ninja, use the peg to lift me up and kick over the tail bag before sitting. In the shop, the bike felt balanced and light in that as I was sitting still, the bike didn't want to fall one way or the other (as I've found KLRs do). My feet came down so where I was between the balls of my feet and tip toes with both feet down. A slight roll to the side was enough to bring me down on the ball of my foot. Steve mentioned they are working on an optional seat that they will have cut down 1.5" (2"? Call to confirm.) that will lower the seat height more.

The handlebars felt fine height wise, but once rolling, felt awkward to me in that my hands were much further out than I was used to. Because of my small arms and hands, it really felt like I was stretching to reach the controls. Most of this is simply getting used to a new bike and developing muscle memory for the locations of the buttons, but Steve mentioned they could cut the bars and install the grips and controls closer in at my request. He recommended starting with an inch off and working from there.

Steve brought the bike around front for me after I asked to test ride it and gave me a simple 4 mile loop to ride to try things out.

Course, with someone looking over my shoulder I turned into a bumbling idiot. "Go ahead and start the bike," he says. Beeped the horn, I did.

Once all the controls were patiently explained to me, I eased off the clutch to slowly roll forward and attempt a few laps of the parking lot before moving out onto the street. Come on, clutch, where's the friction zone? Further, further, further, and finally! Almost to the point of letting go of the lever entirely. My little hand was stretched out fully before the bike began moving forward. The two laps around the lot went well, got a feel for shifting and braking with some little bursts of acceleration. I am not the best at slow speed u-turns, but this bike felt so balanced that simply leaning out and a bit of throttle got me into a somewhat controlled turn (hey I didn't put my foot down!)

I pulled up to the edge of the driveway to wait for traffic, again just able to reach a bit beyond tip toe but still felt balanced while standing there. Once traffic was clear, a slight twist of the throttle got me out and up to speed. This bike is really responsive and nimble. I felt like I could just tip it and it would fall into the corner I was taking. Once I got over and through another u-turn, I was able to accelerate up to cruising speed until the first intersection.

Stopping at the light, I didn't make a special attempt at parking in the most ideal spot, but still I was able to stand and balance the bike while pressing on the brake. Green light, and again a rapid response from the throttle and the bike just rolled right into the turn and off I went ahead of the traffic.

Aside from the wide bars, everything felt like it just fit. The seating position felt more natural and comfortable than the Ninja, the acceleration was smooth and instant, and I felt really relaxed while moving. I did have to shift faster as the RX3 redlines at 9k, but once I learned the new range I was keeping it happy just purring along. The bike is very quiet, though it does have a different buzz to it that I still was glad for my ear plugs.

I want to say here that while the comfort was the most noticeable thing for me, there was a lot I didn't notice. I didn't notice the ultra buzziness I'd been warned about, I didn't notice any excessive vibrations in my hands or feet, I didn't notice any lag or gutless response from the engine. In all honesty, aside from the obvious height difference, it felt so similar to what I am used to that I simply felt like I was on a bigger Ninjette.

All my nit picky thoughts fell into the category of "adjust my riding or the bike to work" vs "this is just wrong/this won't work". Unlike with the Shadow, whose seating position I found uncomfortable, or with the Z1000 where I knew something was off but couldn't pinpoint it, nothing like that came to mind during my ten minute ride on the RX3.

I am not looking for a replacement Ninja nor am I looking for a big beefy Adventure bike that'll take on the zombie apocalypse single handed. I am looking for a bike that I can take anywhere in Nevada and the Sierra and explore all the back roads the desert has to offer. I want small so I can ride it comfortably, light weight so my weakling self can pick it up, enough speed to not get run over on the rural highways, enough storage for a weekend trip with room for spare gas, and enough power to run heat and lights for four season riding. Everything I have added to my "want" list over the last two years is built into the RX3 with accessories that tip the scale.

And if the zombies show up, I'll just outrun them.

It looks like its the same as the ninja 650 just a little bit more beef to it.