Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Funny video, was anyone hurt?

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #42
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Because "enough room to stop" assumes perfect braking technique and even then it's not a sure thing. The lane in his right was NOT slowing down or stopping. Rather the car in front of him panicked over a car entering the shoulder and hit the brakes. So if you watch the video again you'll see that there was plenty of space and speed in the #2 lane and it would have been the right thing to do.. as many others in this thread have pointed out.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #43
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Wow...glad you're okay.

I watched the video and I actually have ran into situations exactly like yours a few times.

What I wouldve done differently was actually swerve right and go to the #2 lane to avoid and should get away unscathed...the danger at that point would have been if the Toyota would have swerved too.

Considering the situation and Im not sure how many miles youve logged on the bike you did okay and its good you're fine. THis is coming from someone that has probably close to if not more than 100,000 commuting miles on bikes.

Also, it looks like you could have stopped the bike a lot faster and sooner if you decided to not swerve to the other lane. However it can be hard to tell since it is a wide angle camera.

I think it would be a good idea to actually practice front brake threshold. I know Lee Parks does a school where you practice that and Keith Code's CSS has a bike where you can practice this drill. Believe it or not you can be hard on the front brakes and come to a stop pretty quick, but you need to be smooth.

EDIT: I watched the video a second time and timed the gap you had between the car in front of you and your bike...it looked like 3 seconds...plenty of time to come to a full stop.
We know. The rear broke loose and he couldn't use maximum braking on the front while swerving.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #44
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Because "enough room to stop" assumes perfect braking technique and even then it's not a sure thing. The lane in his right was NOT slowing down or stopping. Rather the car in front of him panicked over a car entering the shoulder and hit the brakes. So if you watch the video again you'll see that there was plenty of space and speed in the #2 lane and it would have been the right thing to do.. as many others in this thread have pointed out.
That's part of my point: Moments earlier the lane in front was not slowing down or stopping either. If you don't anticipate that these things often involve multiple lanes, your assumptions might one day kill you. We know that it wasn't the case now, but the van entering the emergency lane may have easily been doing so to avoid rear-ending another car just ahead, leaving the vehicle behind even less warning. If the vehicle ahead wasn't already involved with a vehicle in the right lane, the next one in line was likely to swerve right to avoid it and the van on the left. That is why these things often involve multiple lanes. Stopping must be a consideration when planning escape routes.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #45
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Like you've said in your crash thread you would have been totally fine if you hadn't used rear, had ABS, and didn't get distracted for that little bit

Nice smile btw.
out of 43 posts
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #46
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
What bike should I destroy next?
this one

or this one
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #47
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

Old February 6th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #48
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja yas View Post
this one

or this one
That makes two votes!
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #49
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Wow...glad you're okay.

I watched the video and I actually have ran into situations exactly like yours a few times.

What I wouldve done differently was actually swerve right and go to the #2 lane to avoid and should get away unscathed...the danger at that point would have been if the Toyota would have swerved too.

Considering the situation and Im not sure how many miles youve logged on the bike you did okay and its good you're fine. THis is coming from someone that has probably close to if not more than 100,000 commuting miles on bikes.

Also, it looks like you could have stopped the bike a lot faster and sooner if you decided to not swerve to the other lane. However it can be hard to tell since it is a wide angle camera.

I think it would be a good idea to actually practice front brake threshold. I know Lee Parks does a school where you practice that and Keith Code's CSS has a bike where you can practice this drill. Believe it or not you can be hard on the front brakes and come to a stop pretty quick, but you need to be smooth.

EDIT: I watched the video a second time and timed the gap you had between the car in front of you and your bike...it looked like 3 seconds...plenty of time to come to a full stop.
I had 3000mi on the n1k. The thing about swerving right is you don't necessarily know if other traffic is stopping up there too.

Also, I was focused on the van I wanted to make sure he wasn't going to swerve back in to me so when I saw the sedan braking it surprised me and I tried to brake too. I know the threshold of the front brake, the issue was that as I was coming close to that threshold the rear locked up cuz I hit it like an idiot. So once the bike started swerving I lost a lot of braking potential.

Oh and you're close! It was 2.6 seconds
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #50
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Funny video, was anyone hurt?
Unfortunately, there was one fatality

Quote:
this one

or this one
Idk what those are but they don't have windshields
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #51
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

jiggles = drift king
ADoMinGu3z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #52
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
Unfortunately, there was one fatality

Idk what those are but they don't have windshields
You dont need em!! sexy as bike@!@!@!

First one is triumph street triple 2013
Second one is triumph speed triple 2013
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #53
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
You dont need em!! sexy as bike@!@!@!

First one is triumph street triple 2013
Second one is triumph speed triple 2013
Yup, they don't make good sport-tourers. That's why I sold mine. However, Triumph does put that beautiful triple mill in their Tiger adventure bikes. Adventure looks aren't my style, but you could ride that thing all damn day, and that 1050 or 1200 triple just sounds KILLER. Monster torque EVERYWHERE. RAWR.

(Although, full disclosure: I've only ridden the 675 triples; I'm just extrapolating, based on what I know plus what other fellow Trumpeters say.)
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #54
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoMinGu3z View Post
jiggles = drift king
Let's race bro!
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #55
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
I got distracted by your other videos...

Link to original page on YouTube.

LOL.

antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #56
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I suck at kenpo
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #57
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Stop blaming the bike and just learn to use the rear brake properly... It decreases your stopping distance.

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #58
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
It decreases your stopping distance.
There's been plenty of threads bickering about that Nick. Yes, it can decrease your stopping distance, but only minimally, especially when we consider how little overall effect it has and how much concentration/dexterity it takes to balance 2 wheels at the threshold of skidding to get maximum braking vs only doing that with the front wheel.

IMHO, it's better to just focus on one brake (the front, because it has the most power) and do it well than it is to attempt to get the rear brake in there.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #59
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Stop blaming the bike and just learn to use the rear brake properly... It decreases your stopping distance.
When did I ever blame the bike

And I know how to properly use the rear, abstinence.
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #60
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
There's been plenty of threads bickering about that Nick. Yes, it can decrease your stopping distance, but only minimally, especially when we consider how little overall effect it has and how much concentration/dexterity it takes to balance 2 wheels at the threshold of skidding to get maximum braking vs only doing that with the front wheel.

IMHO, it's better to just focus on one brake (the front, because it has the most power) and do it well than it is to attempt to get the rear brake in there.
Another thing people don't mention about locking up the rear is that it turns off your engine too
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #61
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
And I know how to properly use the rear, abstinence.
*pretends he didn't just laugh at that*

Quote:
Another thing people don't mention about locking up the rear is that it turns off your engine too
Yeah, haha. Been there, done that. I've forgotten the clutch in a panic stop before. I think we all have/will at some point.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #62
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Damn, you suck at riding bro!

But, you are damn good at crashing! Keep it up Jiggles.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #63
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Let's race bro!
i think you would win seeing how i only have a 250 and all lol

Old February 6th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #64
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
i think you would win seeing how i only have a 250 and all lol
Hey me too!

But mine is faster than yours
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #65
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hey me too!
lol that was kinda the joke.

Old February 6th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #66
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

This happens to me so often it's not even funny... Tho I never actually use my rear brake, I find myself making too many "emergency" stops to be good... Also my front wheel looses traction pretty quickly... Also, my brakes suck... I blame my brakes and my reaction time I guess... Not in that order... Brakes are being completely upgraded, reaction time I dunno so much about... Practice I guess... Glad you made out ok.

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #67
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Even if you aren't grabbing the clutch when you brake, the engine will restart as soon as the rear regains traction. Engine braking will interfere by adding an unpredictable amount of assistance with the rear brake making it difficult to gauge how much pressure to apply. That's why I never combine the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
This happens to me so often it's not even funny... Tho I never actually use my rear brake, I find myself making too many "emergency" stops to be good... Also my front wheel looses traction pretty quickly... Also, my brakes suck... I blame my brakes and my reaction time I guess... Not in that order... Brakes are being completely upgraded, reaction time I dunno so much about... Practice I guess... Glad you made out ok.
What tires are you running?

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #68
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Even if you aren't grabbing the clutch when you brake, the engine will restart as soon as the rear regains traction.
Depends on the bike, the gear the bike is in, and the speed. A 250 will restart the engine pretty much instantaneously once the rear wheel gains speed again, as there is so little mass in the engine. A big inline-4 with high compression takes quite a bit more energy to get spinning, so if you're in a high gear and the road speed is coming down, the rear wheel may never regain enough traction to spin the engine fast enough to restart smoothly before the bike comes to a stop. Slipper clutches affect this behavior as well, letting the rear wheel spin faster than the engine, and therefore not bringing the engine up to speed fast enough to restart.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #69
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
What tires are you running?
Stock IRCs right now... Getting psd by next week...

Old February 7th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #70
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Yea I usually do ride closer to the line since it makes me more visible to other cars and it has less crap than the middle portion.

What's that phrase about a bunch of little things to cause an accident? And the absence of just one would prevent the accident?
If the van hadn't gone left, if the sedan hadn't stopped, if I hadn't hit the rear, if I'd been in the right portion of my lane
Yup. I was just saying something about that in the thread about the assholes blocking off the highway for a marriage proposal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Actually you had just moved past a car on your right before you hit the brakes which means 2 things. 1) It's open - there is a space for you to fit as you can see in the video and 2) you are moving faster than the traffic in that lane so you don't have to worry about being rear ended so long as you swerve and don't cut a lot of speed.
I was thinking about this today while out riding and driving. It seems a lot of people have the reaction to slow down and swerve, when that is often the worst possible thing to do. I had someone do that right in front of me when they almost rear ended someone, and if I hadn't seen it coming before she did it, I'd have had a hyundai hood ornament on the front of the truck. People don't realize that swerving in front of a semi doing 20 mph slower than it and slamming on your brakes is a bad idea.

If you accelerate into the other lane, you have a much lower chance of being hit from behind.

Now, true, sometimes traffic in front of you can slow down too, but I'd rather deal with that than get hit from behind.

Quote:
I had 3000mi on the n1k. The thing about swerving right is you don't necessarily know if other traffic is stopping up there too.
You know better if you are sitting almost between the lanes instead of in the middle of the lane.

So when are we going to see pictures of your new Concourse?
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #71
dooby
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '11 250R SE (FI), '14 Daytona 675, '14 Sprint 1050 GT SE

Quote:
Is that what the red light coming on signifies at 0:17 (and 0:56 in the slow-mo)? That's the point at which the oil pressure (?) light comes on since the engine (hence oil pump) stopped rotating?

Cheers, Pete
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #72
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

You kids with goddamn A.D.D.
Glad ur ok. I think you tensed up and had some input on the bars too. I stopped with rear sliding before. You keep riding the slide and apply front brake mostly it doesn't go that crazy or out of line unless you try to swerve while you slide the rear. Then again best to not slide the rear of course lol.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #73
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
You kids with goddamn A.D.D.
"AD, Attention Disorientation, affects riders at all levels including professionals. We’ve handled more pro riders than anyone else in the world, trust me on this one, they have the same problems." - Keith Code

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...?showtopic=978
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #74
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Has anyone ever taken the rear brake (break) off. With all this talk about not using the rear brake and how bad it is, why do these bike come with a rear brake? If you take it off then you can't use it and crash. I feel thick soled sneakers would be safer to stop in a panic situation.

If we had a crash test dummy (with a bike) we could experiment.

Old February 7th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #75
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

i think the scariest part of jiggles situation is what would had happened if he actually broke hard enough to stop and not hit the car. whose to say the person behind him would do the same.

Old February 7th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #76
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
What bike should I destroy next?
If Jigs gets a 300, I'm first in line for salvage rights when he crashes it.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #77
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
Is that what the red light coming on signifies at 0:17 (and 0:56 in the slow-mo)? That's the point at which the oil pressure (?) light comes on since the engine (hence oil pump) stopped rotating?

Cheers, Pete
Yep
AFM #676

Old February 7th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #78
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
i think the scariest part of jiggles situation is what would had happened if he actually broke hard enough to stop and not hit the car. whose to say the person behind him would do the same.
A vehicle stopping in time is the only way to break the cycle. Once stopped you can still use the remaining room to go forward or around. Those options still exist and I think it's well understood that you need to look out behind you after an emergency stop.

Old February 7th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #79
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Smile

Holy christ man, now I understand the other thread on which bike you should get next. at least no femur snap this time
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #80
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
Holy christ man, now I understand the other thread on which bike you should get next. at least no femur snap this time
Luckily it was titanium reinforced
AFM #676