ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:29 PM   #41
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Name: mitch

Motorcycle(s): Green Ninja 250 2008!!!!

I hope this clears everything up for you, in terms of why its safe when done properly.

P.S. Sure theres hundreds of lanesplitting crash videos, but theres x8 as many casual riding non-lanesplitting crashes. The lanesplitting crashes are people not lanesplitting how they should be, most every crash is preventable. Just like every normal crash is people driving/riding how they shouldnt be.

@alex.s like my diagram? lol
Attached Images
File Type: png lanesplit.png (23.1 KB, 14 views)
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:37 PM   #42
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Drivers will not blindly swerve left/right into other cars in the middle of traffic.
(Yes it does happen on VERY RARE occasion, but it doesnt matter wether or not you're splitting if they do that...)

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:39 PM   #43
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

so what happens when the car he cut off to swerve into the space doenst have time to stop... your trying to say lane splitting is safer then just riding in your lane... man it feels like im telling you not to stick your hand in fire cuz its hot and then you say "my hand is safer in fire if i took it out it might get chopped off or crushed..."

EDIT let me ask this before i assume, are you telling me speeding while lane splitting is safer then regular riding if you know what your doing or even lane spitting at 10-20mph faster then everyone else?

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:52 PM   #44
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
so what happens when the car he cut off to swerve into the space doenst have time to stop... your trying to say lane splitting is safer then just riding in your lane... man it feels like im telling you not to stick your hand in fire cuz its hot and then you say "my hand is safer in fire if i took it out it might get chopped off or crushed..."

EDIT let me ask this before i assume, are you telling me speeding while lane splitting is safer then regular riding if you know what your doing or even lane spitting at 10-20mph faster then everyone else?
then dont brake, keep moving, obviously. I'm not expert on this im just stating the obvious idk why u cant grasp it lol

And yes, if you're rider enough, its safe.

dont confuse safe with smart or not deadly.

FOR EXAMPLE, ghostrider lane split going over 200MPH for YEARS and when he finally wrecked he wasnt lanesplitting.

Lanesplitting is a skill, not everyone can just jump into it, your brain has to process faster than you're moving. If you can process at 200MPH, then youll be "safe" doing 200 MPH aslong as you dont **** up mentally or physically.

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:54 PM   #45
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Beyond what I've tried to beat into your head im not going to explain it to you, argue with the hundreds of thousands of governments all over the globe that give lanesplitting the thumbs up. Then go argue with all the scientists and all the studies done that have proved that its MUCH safer than not doing it.
(Even the freakin hurt report says lanesplitting cuts acidents by over 10%, go educate yourself about it)

Old August 1st, 2013, 09:09 PM   #46
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

you have said all your going to say, you have called it not smart, but then turn right back around and contradict yourself, if you or any rider in the world thinks speeding through traffic is safer then obeying the laws in a single lane then they dont belong on a bike. the argument wasnt can some people do this safely, it was is it smart or safe.

also if you argue percentages of course there is going to be more crashes on regular riding because everyone is doing it, only the select few reckless numbskulls "MYSELF INCLUDED" are bright enough to risk our lives to shave 10 mins off a trip.

Edit, time for me to step away from this thread because the people that are posting "myself included" are just repeating ourselves, and that wont look good for the forum to newcomers and googlers.

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:25 PM   #47
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Lupe - you need to back away from the keyboard. You're insulting people who are trying to educate you, and you've backed yourself into a silly corner. Lanesplitting is not illegal in this state or anywhere else in the civilized world. Like most other activities on a motorcycle, it can be done with more risk or less risk depending on a rider's attention. The CHP links have good information in them, and are generally pretty good guidelines about what works for most folks.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2013, 11:24 PM   #48
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
I like big butts an I cannot lie
In a land far far away, in another galaxy even. Nah in California and the rest of the world besides 49 states... I wanna filter red lights, please NSA tell the folks in office to allow it... We need corporate sponsors!!!

Old August 1st, 2013, 11:49 PM   #49
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
so what happens when the car he cut off to swerve into the space doenst have time to stop...

the point is that the guy doesn't have to stop. you are splitting lanes. you simply split the other lane and go on your merry way. maybe you don't realize how many people cut me off on a daily basis. the answer is many. every god damn day some stupid asshole decides he needs to ram his car as fast as he can into the lane next to him, no signal, no look, just go. and guess what, i ride a MOTORCYCLE. its really ****ing maneuverable. instead of slamming into a car like an idiot, i turn the handle bars and start splitting lanes in the next lane over. its not complicated. i see thousands of motorcyclists do it. you talk about all these lane splitting crashes. really? where? i challenge you to post 20 lane splitting crash videos. i can find 20 rear end crashes pretty easily but can you find 20 lane splitting crashes easily? i know you can't because i have actually tried. its hard to find because it doesn't happen as often. because when you are lane splitting, YOU are in control. not some retard teenager trying to eat a hotdog while he sexts his girlfriends naughty pictures of his junk dressed up like abe lincoln.

Old August 1st, 2013, 11:53 PM   #50
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
you have said all your going to say, you have called it not smart, but then turn right back around and contradict yourself, if you or any rider in the world thinks speeding through traffic is safer then obeying the laws in a single lane then they dont belong on a bike. the argument wasnt can some people do this safely, it was is it smart or safe.

also if you argue percentages of course there is going to be more crashes on regular riding because everyone is doing it, only the select few reckless numbskulls "MYSELF INCLUDED" are bright enough to risk our lives to shave 10 mins off a trip.

Edit, time for me to step away from this thread because the people that are posting "myself included" are just repeating ourselves, and that wont look good for the forum to newcomers and googlers.
I really can't grasp how you are narcissistic to the point that you believe you know better than the majority of the motorcycling world. I posted a link earlier to try and help you see a different point of view, but I now see that was futile.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:11 AM   #51
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Talking

Thank god finally someone to back up my frustrated attempts to explain this..

Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:27 AM   #52
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Below this sentence lies the proof than lane splitting is safe

I have never crashed while lane splitting
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:01 AM   #53
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Below this sentence lies the proof than lane splitting is safe

I have never crashed while lane splitting
That scientifically proves it. Nuff said.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:09 AM   #54
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...36029373224967

Video of someone lanesplitting in extremely heavy traffic very fast and very "safely", he even gets cut off or turned into multiple times, but he just reacts and controls his own safety by moving the bike where it needs to be to not impact another vehicle, no matter what moves into his way he makes damn sure he doesnt hit it.

Obviously speeding=bad because of the same reason its bad in a car ect ect ect

But this just shows that if you're rider enough, you can split "safely" even at speeds of 100mph+

Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:01 AM   #55
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post

Video of someone lanesplitting in extremely heavy traffic very fast and very "safely", he even gets cut off or turned into multiple times, but he just reacts and controls his own safety by moving the bike where it needs to be to not impact another vehicle, no matter what moves into his way he makes damn sure he doesnt hit it.

But this just shows that if you're rider enough, you can split "safely" even at speeds of 100mph+
he is an idiot. he has decent reflexes but he is going to die riding like such an idiot. not a good example of skillful lane splitting

Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:28 AM   #56
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
he is an idiot. he has decent reflexes but he is going to die riding like such an idiot. not a good example of skillful lane splitting
Yeah...that is a terrible example of why lane splitting is "safe".
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:56 AM   #57
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Yeah...that is a terrible example of why lane splitting is "safe".
I was trying to show that even at 100mph you dont just have to let the car slam into you, you just keep moving.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:15 AM   #58
JELY1990

Quote:

At 100 mph you are traveling approximately 146 feet per second. That is nearly a football field in length every two seconds. I don't believe anyone could react and stop in time if they were abruptly cut off at those speeds. The guy in that video was never cut off or merged in to. That video is an example of someone getting lucky, not splitting safely.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:21 AM   #59
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELY1990 View Post
At 100 mph you are traveling approximately 146 feet per second. That is nearly a football field in length every two seconds. I don't believe anyone could react and stop in time if they were abruptly cut off at those speeds. The guy in that video was never cut off or merged in to. That video is an example of someone getting lucky, not splitting safely.
He is, twice, rewatch the video...

Then go youtube ghostrider and watch him get cut off at 200MPH over and over for years...

I'm not saying thats smart, and those ****ers will probably go down and die pretty soon, I'm just trying to say that if you can process that fast, you CAN split at those speeds.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:37 AM   #60
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

It's a dumb idea to educate the safe side of lane splitting when you whip out a guy that's doing it wrong. You need to stop emphasize the exception when the majority of splitting lanes at excessive speeds result in some very icky situations.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:44 AM   #61
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
nobody is doing +100 lane splitting. if you are lane splitting at 100, its because traffic is doing at least 80. so your logic doesn't really work out.

this morning i was splitting for about 60 miles. between stop and go traffic and 90+ traffic, i was cut off 3 times. first time was at about 20mph, i was doing +10. i slowed down and continued after they finished changing lanes. the next time was at mild traffic around 65mph. i was doing about +10 to the carpool lane when someone jumped into the carpool lane doing about -10 cutting both me and another car off. we both slowed down with less than 20ish feet of braking room. the third time i was doing about 85 and a guy in the carpool lane decided he wanted to be in the fast lane (i wasn't even splitting right then, i was just going along with traffic in my lane) anyway, i moved over and kept going. wanna tell me how i am unable to react in time? this is a daily norm. and if you know how to ride a bike, it doesn't effect you. sitting around a bunch of cars hoping they don't hit you is putting control in the hands of others. i would much rather be moving and in control

Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:45 AM   #62
JELY1990

No, those cars were merging normally and safely. The rider came up on those cars extremely quickly so maybe that's why you think otherwise. In both situations the cars were merging slowly and he had ample time to react and get by. If a car had merged across his path more abruptly and blocked his path he would not be able to stop in time. I've been blocked a few times and was only able to stop in time, because I was only going 15mph max faster than traffic.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:54 AM   #63
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Yeah, @alex.s, I think Jely here was responding to the 100+ remark that greenmachine made about that "safe" video.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:57 AM   #64
JELY1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
Yeah, @alex.s, I think Jely here was responding to the 100+ remark that greenmachine made about that "safe" video.
Yes, I was, hopefully my explanation below will make it clearer.

Quote:
nobody is doing +100 lane splitting. if you are lane splitting at 100, its because traffic is doing at least 80. so your logic doesn't really work out.

this morning i was splitting for about 60 miles. between stop and go traffic and 90+ traffic, i was cut off 3 times. first time was at about 20mph, i was doing +10. i slowed down and continued after they finished changing lanes. the next time was at mild traffic around 65mph. i was doing about +10 to the carpool lane when someone jumped into the carpool lane doing about -10 cutting both me and another car off. we both slowed down with less than 20ish feet of braking room. the third time i was doing about 85 and a guy in the carpool lane decided he wanted to be in the fast lane (i wasn't even splitting right then, i was just going along with traffic in my lane) anyway, i moved over and kept going. wanna tell me how i am unable to react in time? this is a daily norm. and if you know how to ride a bike, it doesn't effect you. sitting around a bunch of cars hoping they don't hit you is putting control in the hands of others. i would much rather be moving and in control
"nobody is doing +100 lane splitting." If you put it that way then yes, you are right. However, I don't split unless traffic is under 35mph so I didn't think about that. So in my case that would be +65. Why would you feel the need to split when traffic is gong 80mph? And all your anecdotal stuff of course you were able to react, because you're a good rider and were going +20 max. Sorry I was unclear to you. I lane split daily too.

And in the video green posted you can't tell me that's a +10 or +20 differential the whole time. I was just trying to say his video is not a safe example of lane splitting.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:03 AM   #65
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
No, those cars were merging normally and safely. The rider came up on those cars extremely quickly so maybe that's why you think otherwise. In both situations the cars were merging slowly and he had ample time to react and get by. If a car had merged across his path more abruptly and blocked his path he would not be able to stop in time. I've been blocked a few times and was only able to stop in time, because I was only going 15mph max faster than traffic.
sigh... Idk how many times I can explain this to people, please read all my prior comments after reading this so I dont have to explain anything further....

you braked because you were behind the car as it changed lanes into yours, awesome, good reaction, not what im talking about at all. Thats not even being cut off, if you can brake, you werent cut off, the car infront of you changed lanes... When you are going 60+ splitting and someone actually CUTS YOU OFF, IE you're already in the space they are planning to occupy, then you TURN THE MOTORCYCLE AND CONTINUE TO SPLIT IN ANOTHER LANE.

"In both situations the cars were merging slowly and he had ample time to react and get by."

You ALWAYS have ample time to react and get by, you're on a MOTORCYCLE. No car can dash into you faster than you can dash out onto the other white line. And if you cant react faster than the car can turn into you, don't lanesplit, or dont lanesplit that fast because its beyond your limits.

"If a car had merged across his path more abruptly and blocked his path he would not be able to stop in time."

No, OF COURSE NOT, so he swerves. *MOTORCYCLE*

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:05 AM   #66
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You are 100% correct, stopping would be stupid as hell, no way you would have the room to do so once already in the space the car plans to occupy. So keep moving. Really simple.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:14 AM   #67
JELY1990

Quote:
sigh... Idk how many times I can explain this to people, please read all my prior comments after reading this so I dont have to explain anything further....

you braked because you were behind the car as it changed lanes into yours, awesome, good reaction, not what im talking about at all. Thats not even being cut off, if you can brake, you werent cut off, the car infront of you changed lanes... When you are going 60+ splitting and someone actually CUTS YOU OFF, IE you're already in the space they are planning to occupy, then you TURN THE MOTORCYCLE AND CONTINUE TO SPLIT IN ANOTHER LANE.

"In both situations the cars were merging slowly and he had ample time to react and get by."

You ALWAYS have ample time to react and get by, you're on a MOTORCYCLE. No car can dash into you faster than you can dash out onto the other white line. And if you cant react faster than the car can turn into you, don't lanesplit, or dont lanesplit that fast because its beyond your limits.

"If a car had merged across his path more abruptly and blocked his path he would not be able to stop in time."

No, OF COURSE NOT, so he swerves. *MOTORCYCLE*
And in an instance where there is no escape route and stopping is the only option? Or do you think there is always going to be a gap big enough to fit into?

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:15 AM   #68
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
And in an instance where there is no escape route and stopping is the only option? Or do you think there is always going to be a gap big enough to fit into?
Why in the flying **** would you ever lanesplit where there is no escape route? Are you daft?

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:18 AM   #69
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Why would you feel the need to split when traffic is gong 80mph?
like i said before. i split nearly 100% of the time. there have been several papers written that concluded going faster than the traffic around you was safer for motorcyclists. i go faster than traffic 100% of the time unless i'm sitting stopped at a stop light at the front waiting to go. because it gives me control. instead of sitting in line hoping the person behind me isn't stupid, hoping the person in front of me doesn't launch rocks at me, or not notice a massive object until they hit it and fling it directly at my face. i have been right next to car accidents that would have involved me if i hadn't had been splitting. splitting puts you in control. if you have no idea how to control yourself then yes you'll smash into someone.

Quote:
you are talking about the instance where you are going too fast approaching two long vehicles that, once you are about 5 feet away, decide to ram each other. yes there isn't much to do in that situation outside of not put yourself in it. splitting between two long vehicles is just stupid. theres two ways of getting out of something. the first way you should always try to get out is to never get into it in the first place. lane splitting happens 50 feet in front of you. if you actually pay attention to what is going on around you, its easy to see what is coming up. who has gaps that they can cut into. who is going to slide to the inside of their lane to avoid running some trash over. who is going to realize they are drifting off course while texting their girlfriend suddenly over correct back to the other side of the lane... etc etc etc. if you are an ignorant car driver who just happens to be on a motorcycle splitting lanes, you're going to have a bad time.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:20 AM   #70
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
what I said wasnt a very good explanation for you, im just frustrated at this point.

When you have no escape route and not enough room to brake, you crash.

Just like when you're fast approaching a bumper of a car, and you dont have room to brake AND didnt leave yourself an escape route, you crash.

Yes, when someone ****s up at lanesplitting, they crash. Just like the rest of everyone on the road. Thats why its legal.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:21 AM   #71
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
like i said before. i split nearly 100% of the time. there have been several papers written that concluded going faster than the traffic around you was safer for motorcyclists. i go faster than traffic 100% of the time unless i'm sitting stopped at a stop light at the front waiting to go. because it gives me control. instead of sitting in line hoping the person behind me isn't stupid, hoping the person in front of me doesn't launch rocks at me, or not notice a massive object until they hit it and fling it directly at my face. i have been right next to car accidents that would have involved me if i hadn't had been splitting. splitting puts you in control. if you have no idea how to control yourself then yes you'll smash into someone.
this

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:22 AM   #72
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Greenmachine you need to chill. You're trying too hard to make your point and at this stage you're just defending it against all reasons.

A lot of what we do on motorcycles are not absolute. There will be times where you need to bend your rules a bit depending on the situation. I don't care how far ahead you're looking while splitting lanes, there WILL be times where your luck runs out and you WILL need to slow down or stop because there's no more room to maneuver. Going that much faster than what the traffic is doing significantly cuts down on your reaction time and if you have your mind convinced on always having room to move around you WILL end up in a bad place when you run into a situation where there are none available.

You're still new at this. Accept the fact that sometimes you may not be right because you're simply not there yet.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:22 AM   #73
JELY1990

Quote:
Why in the flying **** would you ever lanesplit where there is no escape route? Are you daft?
Quote:
what I said wasnt a very good explanation for you, im just frustrated at this point.

When you have no escape route and not enough room to brake, you crash.

Just like when you're fast approaching a bumper of a car, and you dont have room to brake AND didnt leave yourself an escape route, you crash.

Yes, when someone ****s up at lanesplitting, they crash. Just like the rest of everyone on the road. Thats why its legal.
Thank you for making my point.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:23 AM   #74
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Greenmachine you need to chill. You're trying too hard to make your point and at this stage you're just defending it against all reasons.

A lot of what we do on motorcycles are not absolute. There will be times where you need to bend your rules a bit depending on the situation. I don't care how far ahead you're looking while splitting lanes, there WILL be times where your luck runs out and you WILL need to slow down or stop because there's no more room to maneuver. Going that much faster than what the traffic is doing significantly cuts down on your reaction time and if you have your mind convinced on always having room to move around you WILL end up in a bad place when you run into a situation where there are none available.

You're still new at this. Accept the fact that sometimes you may not be right because you're simply not there yet.
who says you aren't allowed to use brakes while splitting?

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:27 AM   #75
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
who says you aren't allowed to use brakes while splitting?
That was responding to the "Are you daft" thing as a result of Jely and I stating the fact that splitting at an unreasonable speed compared to traffic thing that greenmachine dismissed. Don't start turning on me now, you and I do the same thing in traffic.

And for the record I think waiting until traffic is 35 or lower is way too late for comfort.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:27 AM   #76
JELY1990

Okay, Alex and Mitch it's clear the three of us all support lane splitting, but have differences of opinion on the subject. I'm gonna bow out of this, because it's getting ridiculous.

Edit: And Dave thanks.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:29 AM   #77
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
but... YOU ARE WRONG!

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:31 AM   #78
dave42
ninjette.org guru

So uh, popcorn time?

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:32 AM   #79
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Dude.... you, and everyone elses argument is literally "But what if I cant ride my ride?" "What If I cant process an escape route in my head and if there isnt one move to a lane where there is one, and I have to end up slamming on my brakes?"

You're argueing with all the governments all over the world and every scientific study ever done on the subject which all say im correct. I actually KNOW that I'm correct. Thats how much backup my opinion has.

If you're rider enough, theres no limit to how fast you can split. You think rossi cant process an adequate escape route going 90MPH? The dude lays his bodyparts on the ground going 100+mph next to 5 other motorcycles going 100+mph. I think he can handle not getting cut off and having to brake. People do this stuff every day of their lives... Theres even people in here trying to tell you they do this every day of their lives and that the methods WORK EVERY TIME. As long as you dont **** up and always leave yourself room to move.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:35 AM   #80
dave42
ninjette.org guru

You're still being defensive and still need to chill.

Do a search on every reply I've done on lane splitting then read what I posted here again. Then think really hard about whether I'm against lane splitting or not.