ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old February 10th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #1
chemist
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): gsxr 600 2012

Well, my turn.

Hey guys! I am back.

Please let me know if i could have prevented this...seriously. i have always taken safety highly and not sure what i could have done.

So i was commuting home. Normally i am able to leave by 3:30 but i was interviewing quite a few people and left at 6pm. Conditions were light drizzle,30s and dark.

I exited the highway and was approaching a green light going 50 in a 45.
Car opposite me wanted to turn left across intersection. I had an eye on him and had slowed but it looked like he was going to let me through before turning. Last minute he went, which was fine as my hands are always covering the brakes and i slowed as he squeeked through. Problem is a 16 year old was tailing him through the turn and didnt see me. I was riding on the far left(of lane) and had turned my brights on for the first car. 16 year old tbones me or he hit me with front right of car.

Not 100% as i blacked out until ambulance ride. The rest is from eye witnesses
Apprantly i went flying in the air along with bike parts landing in every direction. Best bet is he hit my left leg.

Did CT scan and some xrays and was kept in a neck brace and knee brace for my right knee. All that said, i had a weird brake in my t1 on the vertebrae but i am walking normally with no braces or crutches. Doctors have cleared my of everything and i could have even worked today.
I do need a followup xray on my chest in a week as i had a lacerated lung(sounds bad but it was very small and i am breathing fine).

So i am fine and a walking miracle! I think i will add chest protection to my gear.

Gear:
Hjc pinlock helmet
Revit gloves
Klim blade armored jacket
Astar overpants
Cortech full boot
Dianese over top rainsuit(destroyed obviously)
Orgio mach 3 backpack

All other grear minus helmet will be reusable! Ill have to get a minor stitch fix on the left arm of the klim blade jacket if its to still be goretex (rain proof).

So long as the wife still lets me its back to a gsxr 600/750 but i might consider going back to kawi with a 636.

Interesting side note. Several witnesses were riders and the 16 year old at faults dad rides..

Last futzed with by chemist; February 10th, 2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Clarity
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2017, 10:50 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Bummer, but glad the gear did its job and you're (mostly) okay.

To be honest, I don't see how you could have avoided this, even if you'd been in a car. The SMIDSY left-turner is one of the nastier scenarios.

Dark, wet and rush hour are a bad combo. Due to glare and reflections, you're going to be really hard to see anyway. So the standard caveats apply... maintain awareness, give more room, etc. etc. Doesn't seem as if any of those would have prevented this one.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #3
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Only real option i see is to have been going slow enough to come to a complete or mostly complete stop, but its not something you can really prepare for. I know i always anticipate the person to turn left in front of me and try and tailor my riding to that scenario, i never expect them and the person after them to do so.

Glad your on the mend and it wasnt worse. Hope your wife doesnt make you stop riding and you can get the 636 (team green forever).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 10th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #4
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
not saying it would have saved you but

Link to original page on YouTube.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #5
chemist
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys! Good to be back on the boards. Ill keep you posted on what i end up with

Old February 10th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
.........Conditions were light drizzle,30s and dark.

I exited the highway and was approaching a green light going 50 in a 45.
Car opposite me wanted to turn left across intersection. I had an eye on him and had slowed but it looked like he was going to let me through before turning. Last minute he went, which was fine as my hands are always covering the brakes and i slowed as he squeeked through. Problem is a 16 year old was tailing him through the turn and didnt see me. I was riding on the far left(of lane) and had turned my brights on for the first car. 16 year old tbones me or he hit me with front right of car.
Very sorry to read this, Jonathan

The kid made a bad situation much worse by not stopping to see before crossing your path.

Not that I could have evade those two, but this is what I would have done different:

1) Due to reduced capability to stop on a dime, to slowdown way under the posted speed limit for the cold, slippery conditions.

2) #1 would have placed me on the right lane, which is the best scenario to avoid a left turner (and to be seen and evaluated, .........if they bother to).

3) To see what and how was following me way before arriving to that intersection (each place that allows a car to cross your path should be considered an intersection, which is where most accidents happen) / To start braking/signaling with enough time for the follower to understand that I am slowing down / To change lanes if could improve a tail-gating situation.

4) To keep the low beam, because the high beam makes more difficult for the left turner to judge your speed and position, even more in dark conditions / To wave within my lane to break the blending effect.

5) To reduce speed down to the magic one as approaching the point of possible impact:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80343

As stated above, this is the worse situation for us to avoid; we can only try.
Sincerely hope that your injuries heal soon.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'm very glad you'll be OK. I guess that situation is a little bit similar to when I'm riding a bicycle and a car passes. It's easy to assume it's safe at that point and move out into the lane for a left turn, for example, but it's always possible that there's a second car behind the one that passed, that I couldn't see in my mirror because of the first car. So I have to hesitate and look again before assuming it's clear.

While you couldn't see the 2nd car, you could have assumed one was there until proven otherwise. Mind you, I'm not saying I couldn't have made the same mistake, but at least now that you've brought up the problem, maybe it will be on my mind if I'm in that situation.

It's not clear to go unless you can see that it's clear to go.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #8
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

4) To keep the low beam, because the high beam makes more difficult for the left turner to judge your speed and position, even more in dark conditions/ weave within my lane to break the blending effect.
FTFY

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #9
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Ouch! I'm glad you're (mostly) ok and can get back to riding.

Avoiding it? You would have to have been going slow enough to stop completely but anticipating that second car would be difficult.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #10
chemist
ninjette.org member

Thanks again guys. Before really evaluating more, it does look like i need to convince wife...this could be it

Depends on how you look at things. Ive ridden 16000 miles this year ( well, from march 2016).
So a lot of opportunities to wreck. I reall dont have close encounters ever. Other than nailing a semi tire at 80mph which managed to survive with no wreck. Again, that was dark outside.

Problem is a will have late nights and early mornings. I am not concerned but need to make the right family decision

Old February 11th, 2017, 06:44 PM   #11
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Maybe she will let you ride Track Only....

Old February 12th, 2017, 06:46 AM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Crazy cagers smh

Old February 22nd, 2017, 02:28 PM   #13
astricklin
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Glad to hear that you are relatively OK. I would make the at fault driver's insurance replace any and all gear that sustained damage because of the incident.