ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 23rd, 2016, 06:57 PM   #1
ninjagirlbobbi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bobbi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Cool Any input on diagnostics?

Hey guys! Recently did a full inspection at a kawasaki shop, and they said i could use a lean mixture carb adjustment. They also said since i had 15,000 miles that it would be due for a full service. But i was wondering what you guys thought about the lean mixture carb adjustment?
ninjagirlbobbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2016, 07:20 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yes, the bikes come lean from the factory and again yes, if you haven't done any maintenance, it's time... waaaayyyy past time.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2016, 07:33 PM   #3
ninjagirlbobbi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bobbi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

So should i not ride it too much? Or is it ok but need to do the service asap?
ninjagirlbobbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagirlbobbi View Post
So should i not ride it too much? Or is it ok but need to do the service asap?
Depends on what needs to be done.

Things like chain lube and adjustment, oil/filter change, brake fluid change, coolant check/change, all NEED to be done in order for the cycle to be safe on the road.

Almost all carbs are lean from the factory. The adjustment screws are capped-over to keep to from tampering with that adjustment. If/when the carbs come off of he the cycle, most people will remove the caps so they can make adjustments. Maybe someone has done it (removed the caps) with the carbs on, but it would be pretty tough to do. If it idles smoothly and doesn't stumble when you take off it's not too far off. If you can get gas without ethanol it will help it to run better. Syncing the carbs is also a normal maintenance item.

Valve adjustments may need to be done at this point if they have not been already. Typically a ticking noise from the top of the engine tells you they are out of adjustment.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
My Pregen's symptoms were the typical hard to start and keep running when cold, but OK when warm. When cold, it either idled at 500 rpm or 3,000 rpm. The all valves but one were too tight, so no ticking noise. Do the new ones tend to have the clearances grow instead?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2016, 11:01 AM   #6
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
My Pregen's symptoms were the typical hard to start and keep running when cold, but OK when warm. When cold, it either idled at 500 rpm or 3,000 rpm. The all valves but one were too tight, so no ticking noise. Do the new ones tend to have the clearances grow instead?
Newgen bikes also get tight over time.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #7
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Eh, in my opinion the only things that would significantly contribute to safety are brakes and fluid, chain condition/adjustment/lube, and tire condition.

Neglected coolant might cause your engine to overheat, which might strand you somewhere, but I don't think it would cause you to wipe out. Neglected oil could damage the engine, again possibly stranding you somewhere, but actually causing a wipe out is slim (unless it seized, but that's pretty extreme).

Not to say you should neglect those, but I'd put them at a somewhat lower priority than brakes, tires, and chain, any one of which could easily kill you if they malfunctioned.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagirlbobbi View Post
Hey guys! Recently did a full inspection at a kawasaki shop, and they said i could use a lean mixture carb adjustment. They also said since i had 15,000 miles that it would be due for a full service. But i was wondering what you guys thought about the lean mixture carb adjustment?
What was the reason to take your bike to that shop?

Would you know how to do maintenance and service yourself?
Would you have a place and the tools to do it?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote