Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Notices

Old October 21st, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Nice ride and a cool app

Been craving a ride for about 2 weeks now. Last time I was home from school, I took a night ride and ended up shivering for 15 minutes after I got off the bike (didn't think it was that cold out haha). Took a nice ride on the Taconic North then went on I-84. Rode next to a yellow Lambo for a while too which was fun. It was only my second time ever on the highway, but I loved every minute of it. The season made it even better, lots of leaves changing color, was going by some waterfronts, really awesome! And heading North, there was virtually no one else on the road, so I was very comfortable. It was windy though, and I did get a few cross gusts which were a little unsettling, but they weren't a problem. Worst one hit me on a turn which scared me a bit, but I got through it alright (have read some posts on here regarding wind, so I had a little knowledge on how to handle it). It was a perfect day for a ride today though, so glad I got out there!
I used this pretty cool app to track my ride today. It's called runtastic, and it uses GPS to track and map your route. Data wise, I used maybe 10 - 15 mb, so it was a lot less than I anticipated. At the end of the ride, I had a breakdown with time, distance, average speed, average pace (miles/min), max speed, a map, and a cool graph with a chart logging speed and elevation. It was really cool. I wanted it most for the map and speed breakdown. I was surprised to see the difference in GPS speed vs Speedometer. The GPS speed marked me about 10mph less than the speedo. I'm aware the speedo isn't very accurate, I was just surprised to see that big a margin. Anyone have similar apps which they use for this kind of thing? Only thing I didn't like with this one was that I thought I shut the voice off, but apparently I didn't. At a stop light I heard a voice coming from my pocket, and had no clue what the thing was trying to tell me.

Forgot to mention. It also has this feature which allows for a "live tracking." I don't intend to use it, but my understanding is that you can post it, and people can see the route be created as you're progressing.
Maielstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2012, 08:58 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Cool!

I use this, mostly as a novelty though. But also cool.

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/ne...er-iphone-app/
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Cool!

I use this, mostly as a novelty though. But also cool.

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/ne...er-iphone-app/
Way cool, that definitely seems like a solid app! I'll absolutely check it out. I'm very much intrigued by it being able to calculate lean angle (I'm curious to know how much I actually do lean on the turns). Do you find that to be fairly functional? For me, I just like the map so I can get a visual of how far I went, as pre-highway, I never went too far from my town, maybe one or two towns over, so it's fun for me to see how far I go.
Maielstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:44 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The lean angle thing is hit or miss. More miss than hit though. It seems the less aggressive I ride, the more accurate it is. It also seems my ninja will go 155mph hahahahah. It uses gps to calculate speed, so down in the hills of KY, I loose gps then zoom to the next point at 155.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2012, 04:53 AM   #5
Axellor
ninjette.org member

Name: Zackarren

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Well, you really done a great job to share about this app and about your ride. I too going to check out the app, so that I too can enjoy as you did.