ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Notices

Old September 26th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #121
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I'm very sorry I have to cancel my participation in the ride for tomorrow. I just got back home from a work trip and a family emergency has arisen that I must deal with..
I hope you all have a fun and safe ride and that the weather cooperates. Please take lots of pictures.
wishing you all the best, GA

Old September 26th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #122
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Bummer about the family emergency! I hope it is nothing serious and that it is resolved quickly.

It sucks we won't be able to meet up with you, but there is still plenty of opportunities in the future!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #123
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Greenaero - Definitely take care of your family. We'll see you next time.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #124
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Sorry to hear about the family emergency, but yes, there is next time.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #125
chrly
ninjette.org member

Name: Charley

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawasaki EX300 , 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1200.

Made it to Sonora. No rain but the place is packed!
chrly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #126
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Also made it to Sonora. Donner summit was.. Um... interesting.

See everyone soon!

Old September 27th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #127
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
@chrly, @antiant, @iamjacob, and @algs26

Thank you all so much for joining me! I hope you enjoyed yourselves, despite the rain and traffic.

Today was a very good day!

Old September 27th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #128
chrly
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
@chrly, @antiant, @iamjacob, and @algs26

Thank you all so much for joining me! I hope you enjoyed yourselves, despite the rain and traffic.

Are you HOME already??? I just rolled in cover with lil bitty raindrops ..Rain about 8 miles from my house
Great day to be riding!! ANd good people to be riding with
Thanks NW for setting the whole thing in motion.
Thanks iamjacob for saving me at least 45 minutes off my rte home..Sorry I didnt stop to thank you in Stockton but like an old barn-sour horse, when I get pointed home, that is the only thing on my mind
Thanks to algs26 and antiant for making the effort to join in..
Pics tomorrow..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 27th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #129
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Nope.

Due to the conditions of the Pass, my Dad offered to bring his newly acquired trailer over to carry my bike and me over the mountain.

So, I'm riding shotgun in the Jeep while looking at the fog, dark, and drizzle along Hwy 50/

Old September 27th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #130
chrly
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Nope.

Due to the conditions of the Pass, my Dad offered to bring his newly acquired trailer over to carry my bike and me over the mountain.

So, I'm riding shotgun in the Jeep while looking at the fog, dark, and drizzle along Hwy 50/

Sounds like a good Dad thing

Glad you didnt have to finish the ride thru that stuff!!

Old September 27th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #131
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:

Thanks everyone for waiting for me. Had a lot of fun. It was nice to meet you all.

Nevada, you were a great group ride leader. I'm worn out and my phone was completely dead.

Here's the group panorama:

Thanks for me leading me home. I would have probably gotten lost a bunch of times in the dark.

CHOCOLAT!

Last futzed with by algs26; September 27th, 2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: linked to bigger pic
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #132
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Oh that's cool! Might you have a larger copy that I can use for my work wallpaper? I have dual screens and that would look epic!

oh, NOW I am home. and beat, but need to slay the last bit of adrenalin.

Drive over the mountain was thick fog on both sides, esp coming down into Nevada. It also rained in patches and I am sure the temps were near freezing (though no snow encountered). Really glad I didn't have to ride through that, I think I would have found a place to camp out over night and go over in the daylight.

Oh, saw an update on Twitter:
SR 120
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
IS CLOSED FROM CRANE FLAT TO THE JCT OF US 6 /TIOGA PASS/
(TUOLUMNE,MONO CO) - DUE TO SNOW - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN
ALTERNATE ROUTE

ok...bed. Pics and report tomorrow, video will be late due to me leaving my little ipad SD card thingy at home.

Old September 28th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #133
chrly
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
Thanks everyone for waiting for me. Had a lot of fun. It was nice to meet you all.

Nevada, you were a great group ride leader. I'm worn out and my phone was completely dead.

Here's the group panorama:

Thanks for me leading me home. I would have probably gotten lost a bunch of times in the dark.

CHOCOLAT!
Nice shot Al.. I shud have asked you to show me how you do that !! Next time and thanks for pointing me to this thread originally ...

Old September 28th, 2014, 10:08 AM   #134
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Definitely enjoyed myself and everybody on the ride! The pace was perfect and @NevadaWolf you were a great leader. It was fun and I definitely want to do it again, when the weather is more stable. OMG my ride coming home out of Yosemite was interesting. I definitely need heated grips and some gore tex gloves, my fingers were wet, cold and a wee bit uncomfortable. I have never ridden in rain, but I feel way more confident now that I've done it. Thanks @chrly @algs26 @iamjacob for the positive experience. Nice panoramic shot too.

I now have a bigger to-do list, as far as what I need for my bike, haha. Pics and other things coming soon, once I get the time.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #135
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #136
chrly
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Definitely enjoyed myself and everybody on the ride! The pace was perfect and @NevadaWolf you were a great leader. It was fun and I definitely want to do it again, when the weather is more stable. OMG my ride coming home out of Yosemite was interesting. I definitely need heated grips and some gore tex gloves, my fingers were wet, cold and a wee bit uncomfortable. I have never ridden in rain, but I feel way more confident now that I've done it. Thanks @chrly @algs26 @iamjacob for the positive experience. Nice panoramic shot too.

I now have a bigger to-do list, as far as what I need for my bike, haha. Pics and other things coming soon, once I get the time.

To-do bike lists never seem to get smaller Glad you made it home safe..Now if Jacob will check in ??

Old September 28th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #137
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I don't wanna make a separate thread for any ride reports as this one will eventually be moved to the Ride Report section.

Since I babble way to much (as antiant learned first hand yesterday), I'll start.

The primary goal: The Little Dragon, Hwy 49 between Coulterville and Bear Valley.

The weather report was not looking to great to get over the mountain on Friday night and I was seriously beginning to wonder if I could. After calling my Mom in Tahoe to check on the condition of Hwy 50, I opted to head over I-80 instead (the theory being if it started getting too cold, the heat from the truck tires would keep the road from freezing). I was fine until just before Truckee - and then it started raining. And then pouring. The gal at the bug station gave me a funny look as I rolled through. I kept thinking, "Make it to the summit, there's a rest area. Make it to the summit." I think I passed Noah's Ark along the way.

Let me tell you I have NEVER been so thankful for the fog line in my life. This ride really gets filed under "Dumb things that border on the edge of stupidity." Luckily, the summit had a nice ramp to get my bike under the canopy and two other riders were also hanging out taking shelter. I do want to add it's really fun (NOT) wringing out the water from your gloves.

The rain finally vanished before I reached Auburn and from there south along Hwy 49 it was a really pleasant ride. Got to meet a nice officer while I was snacking on a hot dog in Sutter Creek (he had a similar look to the lady at the bug station), saw one deer and a raccoon, and safely made it to Sonora at oh gawd really? in the morning.

Met up with @chrly after calling my Mom to let her know I had made it safely and wasn't lying in a ditch somewhere. We rode down to Coulterville and I lucked out... er, quickly found the Cafe. There was a collection of classic cars pulling in across the street. we had a great breakfast while waiting on anyone else to show and I spotted @antiant and @iamjacob milling around by our bikes. A quick hello was followed by a message from @algs26 heading down, so Charlie and I rode to the Shell station. Lemme say what looks like "just down the road" on Google was a 6 mile twisty reminder than California has no idea what a straight road is outside of the interstate. Whee!

Back in town, there was a crowd building with several folks standing in front of the intersections directing traffic. COOL! By pure chance, our slow departure had kept us in town long enough for the annual CoyoteFest parade! Our little group hung out together to watch the going's on before running back to the Shell station to fill up and then off to the Little Dragon!

All along Hwy 49 between Coulterville and the bridge over Lake McClure is a nice back and forth, huge sweepers, and amazing views. But, once you reach the bridge you are given the view of what is coming. Up the length of the canyon you can see the road snake along the edge and just turn after turn after turn. We stopped for a photo op, then Charlie took off ahead for some pics of us. THANK YOU!

This was definitely a fun, though short, road. Only hitch was when the pickup truck slowed us down but they eventually pulled over to let us all pass. We hung out at the top pull off and took more pictures of the road we had just climbed. Then back down the mountain!

Back in Coulterville, a quick stop almost had us joining the festival due to the smell of BBQ wafting from the park. But we soldiered on, heading up J132 towards Yosemite. An even shorter stop in Greeley Hill to don the layers we had removed earlier proved to be the wisest choice.

It was cold and cloudy all the way into Yosemite Valley and the traffic was not too bad - save the one black car who was taking full advantage of the cliffside road. But we made it in and parked in the few open compact spaces before grabbing lunch at the Yosemite Grill. I love hearing the mix of languages from all over the world in one place.

As we left, the clouds finally decided now was the time to empty their contents and the rain started coming down, and down, and down. A short stop at an overlook looking out towards El Captain and Half Dome before waving farewell to antiant. We continued on, getting drenched in the process, and eventually escaped the rain around Groveland.

I do enjoy New Priest Grade Road - the views down the twisty road and across to the insane angle of the old road. If only the cars would pull over...

Our party again split as 49 and 120 separated and iamjacob and chrly headed on their way towards home. algs26 and I continued north where we got to Sonora. I pulled over, seeing the clouds were getting dark, so that he could swap visors. While we were there, we heard a thunderclap and saw a MASSIVE flock of birds circling ahead of the clouds. A few drops fell, then turned steady. We pushed our bikes under the canopy just in time for a cell to open up right on top of us. it was heavy enough we were both looking at the weather apps on our phones to see how long it would last. Luckily, it was just a small burst and was over as soon as it started. Still, being in the red zone of the rain map was interesting.

We continued on towards Placerville, getting raining on, and made it to where my Dad was going to pick me up. Loaded the bike onto the trailer, said farewell to algs26, and drove home over a raining and fog covered mountain. (the trippiest thing was when we got to Carson, the power was completely out. No lights anywhere! Then they just flicked on like a light switch had been flipped, then off again. I don't know the cause, but apparently over 15,000 people from Minden, Gardnerville, South Lake Tahoe, and Carson were affected.)

I had a FANTASTIC day with everyone and THANK YOU ALL so much for coming out and riding with me.

Old September 28th, 2014, 01:07 PM   #138
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrly View Post
To-do bike lists never seem to get smaller Glad you made it home safe..Now if Jacob will check in ??
Yeah, I hope Jacob is ok. That ride definitely made me sleep well. So true about the to-do bike lists, they just get larger and larger. I'm spending most of my day, researching bike stuff to acquire.

Old September 28th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #139
chrly
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Yeah, I hope Jacob is ok. That ride definitely made me sleep well. So true about the to-do bike lists, they just get larger and larger. I'm spending most of my day, researching bike stuff to acquire.
LOL..I have to work so I CAN do exactly that !!

Old September 28th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #140
chrly
ninjette.org member

Nice write-up NW. Saves me a lotta work SHud I just add a few of my pics here??

Old September 28th, 2014, 01:27 PM   #141
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
By all means, add pics! I WANT TO SEE THOSE CORNER SHOTS!

Old September 28th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #142
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
LOL! I wish I had a boat load of money, so I could get a lot of motorcycle related stuff, I'm a geek when it comes to that stuff.

I just skimmed my video footage, it's awesome, the videos came out great!! The only thing is the wind noise, I usually have a mic in, so I forgot about the wind noise factor, until after I went home and then it dawned on me, "Oh crap, I didn't have my mic in... damn it." I had re-positioned my camera sticky mount awhile back as it was too far forward and didn't get a full view. I didn't get to test the new re-positioned mount, until this ride, so I'm very happy with how everything came out. I got some nice pics and video of @iamjacob and @NevadaWolf, now I wish I was riding in the back to capture @algs26 and @chrly too.

Old September 28th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #143
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
More info on the Coyote Fest parade:

Quote:
Event Dates: September 27, 2014

About this Event
A parade, old car exhibition, live music, bounce house, vendors, food and refreshments, 'Wild West' shoot-outs, and goods overflowing onto the side walks throughout Downtown Historic Main S., along with the truly unique Coyote Howling Contest, make this a great day in Historic Coulterville... the gold rush town that didn't dry up and blow away! Come on out and exercise your vocal cords and give it a try...no experience required! This annual - now re-imagined event - now will take place in late September.

The parade starts at 10 am. Competition in the Howling Contest, with categories of Adult, Child, Adult Coyote Pak and 'Pup-Pak' will begin at noon and continue thorough-out the afternoon.
From the Coyote Fest parade, an old hearse:

Hwy 49 "Little Dragon" shots:

Right in Coulterville was this history museum across from Jeffery Hotel (Est. 1851):

Jeffrey Hotel and the general store to the right of it:

Old September 28th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #144
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Since I babble way to much (as antiant learned first hand yesterday), I'll start.
Ha, you were fine, it was highly amusing.

Teri and I got to play with our Bluetooth communicators, which was really fun. It's nice to be able to talk to each other while riding. The intercom worked great. Once in a blue moon, we had some static or wind noise, but it was very good throughout the whole ride. Since I was third in the group line, I was able to be Teri's eyes behind the back of her head. It's nice to be able to say, "Slow down and wait for the others, maybe we should stop for a break, keep trucking along, etc."

Old September 28th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #145
chrly
ninjette.org member

My "Sierra Adventure" portion started out as I left Dixon California Friday afternoon..looking west at the gathering dark clouds trying to figure whether they were headed East with me ...I didnt realize I had stopped in front of a cemetary until I got out my camera..

They were definitely getting heavier and headed East..Nothing to do about except motor on..

Arrived in Sonora earlry evening Nevada Wolf arrived and managed to find a room sometime in the middle of the night. We met up in the morning and headed for Coulterville where as mentioned , imjacob and antiant joined us shortly thereafter. Nice to see some other setups on bikes ..Lottsa good ideas

Soon, algs26 joined us and we headed for this....

Old September 28th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #146
chrly
ninjette.org member

View from the top.....

A little history lesson while we are here...

My last camera shot ...As teh rain began and we were close to heading our seperate ways...

Good ride...Good folks..Thanks all ..
I have some video to edit and will post up when done.

Last futzed with by chrly; September 28th, 2014 at 04:42 PM.

Old September 28th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #147
chrly
ninjette.org member

Old September 28th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #148
chrly
ninjette.org member

Well I messed up the size of photos again...My apologies..

Old September 28th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #149
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
There is a Resize icon for pictures, it's at the end of the icons, little yellow square with blue arrows pointing up and left. That might work?

Old September 28th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #150
chrly
ninjette.org member

Quote:
There is a Resize icon for pictures, it's at the end of the icons, little yellow square with blue arrows pointing up and left. That might work?
Always something to learn...Thanks Teri...

Old September 28th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #151
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrly View Post
Nice shot Al.. I shud have asked you to show me how you do that !! Next time and thanks for pointing me to this thread originally ...
It's built into the iPhone camera app. That's why I brought it. The camera is pretty reliable. I'm sure there's software to stitch pictures together to make them also.

Preparing to slay the dragon:

My new album is going to be released soon. Here's the cover:

Plain panorama

Last futzed with by algs26; October 6th, 2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: blur magic on license plates; added pano shot
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #152
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Hurm... Wonder where Jacob is?

Old September 28th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #153
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Quote:
Hurm... Wonder where Jacob is?
Sorry for the late check in. I got home and fell asleep not much after getting my little ones into bed.

Thank you to everyone for the awesome ride. It couldn't have been more fun even including the rain shower. I definitely see heated gear in my future though.

Charley, no worries about no stopping when I pulled off, I probably wouldn't have either. My backside was definitely ready to be done riding. I have no idea how you made it another 2 hours!

I haven't checked my phone to see if I have any better pics than have already been shared but if I do I'll post them up in a bit.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #154
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
@algs26 @chrly - Nice pictures, I like them.

Old September 28th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #155
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Oy, sounds like I ran everyone ragged. LOL come on you guys, how y'all going to keep up with me on bigger adventures! There's a lot of great places out there!

Heard from a friend it snowed on Donner yesterday. With snow on Tioga as well, my California adventures may be coming to a close this season. But this will not be the last Sierra adventure! Must plan for next year!

Old September 28th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #156
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Friends were also on a Sierras ride this weekend, and they really wanted to do part of it in dirt. The rain turned it into a much more fun consistency. For awhile they had to clean out their fenders every 100 - 200 feet as the mud was locking the wheel. Several eventually just ripped them off and left them. Good times! :-)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #157
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Hey! That was the longest I have ever ridden, lol. Today was a lounge day, I stayed in my pj's all day long and listened to the rain. I'm glad this was my first group ride experience, now I want to go on more. Someday, I will get a chance to go across Yosemite, to see the other side. I am definitely looking forward to more adventures. I wish you all lived a little closer. Thanks again.

Old September 28th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #158
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
@antiant ha, me too. Been binging on anime all day and basically doing nothing.
@Alex, that is just sick! Gotta love that gnarly sticky muck!

Old September 29th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #159
Hoons54
ninjette.org member

Name: Jung

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Nice pics! Looks like you guys had a great time
Hoons54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #160
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I wish I could have come. I tried to switch my flight to the night before but there were no available spots