ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:49 PM   #1
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Name: Glenn

Motorcycle(s): 06 Daytona 675, 09 Ninja 250

4mm screw head snapped

After completing multiple mods and buttoning up everything on, I noticed a screw head missing... Front Brake Master Cylinder... there are 2 4mm screws holding the cover on... I initially thought that the right side screw was missing... Went in to double check brake fluid level and realized that the head must have snapped off... I tried to go to the parts store to buy a "bolt extractor" but the smallest they had was 1/4" which is too big... What next? Any advice? Can I just run it with only one screw holding the cap on?
SdSy675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Did the whole head snap off? I think I have a bolt extractor that may be small enough, just have to check. I actually snapped one of my bolt extractors in it and then had to dremel it out. I dremeled a slit in it and then used a flathead to screw it out. Worse case scenario, I was gonna dremel down the middle and snap off half the lid. You can get a new lid for like $15 from bikebandit or bling it out with a colored lid.

Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #3
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unidentified View Post
Ive had several screws and bolts snap off my ninja. Try getting pliers and try rotating them out if you get a good grip. A bolt extractor wouldnt work because there nothing on the other end of the screw to secure it when making a hole. What seemed to work for me is using a power drill with a thin drill bit. Good luck.
I wish it were that simple... unfortunately the remaining screw portion is recessed in the hole...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Did the whole head snap off? I think I have a bolt extractor that may be small enough, just have to check. I actually snapped one of my bolt extractors in it and then had to dremel it out. I dremeled a slit in it and then used a flathead to screw it out. Worse case scenario, I was gonna dremel down the middle and snap off half the lid. You can get a new lid for like $15 from bikebandit or bling it out with a colored lid.
The screw is below the cover... If you removed the cover and the gasket, you should see the "canals" where the bolts thread... It's in there... I tried using the 1/4" bolt extractor... No go... although it would fit in the hole, it won't get a bite on the screw bolt...

Since it's just the resevior, can't I just forget about it?

Old May 4th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #4
kkim

I can't remember... is the cover itself threaded or just the reservoir below it that the bolt threads in to?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #5
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

The lid has a recessed hole that is not threaded. Which brings the next point of seeing if you removed the good side, you may be able to just remove the lid since the bad side has no head.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #6
kkim

so, what prevents him from taking the other screw out and taking the lid off? wouldn't that expose the broken off screw enough so it could be grabbed with some pliers to get it out?

when I fubared one of my MC screws on my dirt bike, I replaced it with a regular threaded metric screw with a washer on top to keep pressure on the lid. holds fine to this day.

I would think w/o 2 screws to hold that lid down, fluid would start leaking from the seam on the unattached side.

BTW, I found out later that a JIS screwdriver works wonders on these screws to not strip them.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #7
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Depending on where the bolt is snapped, it is likely that he won't be able to get it out by grabbing it with the cap off. Since the holes are countersunk, there is likely less screw than you might think, and it may be unusually difficult to remove especially since it snapped off to begin with.

I will, however, second the notion of it leaking without the screw in place. If there isn't enough screw to grab it and unscrew it, the best bet is to drill it out. Chances are you won't be able to preserve the previous threads, so you'll have to fill it, drill it, and retap it. Being said, it may just be easier to scrounge up a new master cylinder/reservoir combo.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #8
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Get some left handed drill bits and give them a try.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #9
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I can't remember... is the cover itself threaded or just the reservoir below it that the bolt threads in to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
The lid has a recessed hole that is not threaded. Which brings the next point of seeing if you removed the good side, you may be able to just remove the lid since the bad side has no head.
Yup! Cuong is correct...

I have no problem removing the cover... The left side screw is fine and removes like it should... the right side screw is broken off in the recessed portion of the "tank"...

Old May 5th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #10
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Depending on where the bolt is snapped, it is likely that he won't be able to get it out by grabbing it with the cap off. Since the holes are countersunk, there is likely less screw than you might think, and it may be unusually difficult to remove especially since it snapped off to begin with.

I will, however, second the notion of it leaking without the screw in place. If there isn't enough screw to grab it and unscrew it, the best bet is to drill it out. Chances are you won't be able to preserve the previous threads, so you'll have to fill it, drill it, and retap it. Being said, it may just be easier to scrounge up a new master cylinder/reservoir combo.
Leed hit it on the head! That's EXACTLY the problem. At this point, it seems like it's not worth the effort to "fix"... The simplest solution seems to be to find another MC/Reservoir or mod with a ZX6R MC...

I knew that when I bought this "project" bike there were going to be things needed to be fix, but now that I've torn the bike apart and put it back together, I'm finding more and more things the previous owner completely jacked up! In the end when I'm done, at least I'll have the confidence that everything was replaced/fixed by someone I trust... me!!!

Thanks again for all the inputs!

Old May 5th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #11
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
Get some left handed drill bits and give them a try.
Great idea but for some reason none of the shops I went to carries left handed drill bits!? My last ditch effort will be Sears or a Hobby shop. Otherwise, this bike's getting another mod!!!

Old May 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #12
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdSy675 View Post
Great idea but for some reason none of the shops I went to carries left handed drill bits!? My last ditch effort will be Sears or a Hobby shop. Otherwise, this bike's getting another mod!!!
Menards had Left Handed Bits last time I was there and going through the aisles. Check if there's a Fastenal near you. They would most likely have on you can buy.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #13
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piec...set-95146.html

Old May 5th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #14
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
Menards had Left Handed Bits last time I was there and going through the aisles. Check if there's a Fastenal near you. They would most likely have on you can buy.
I completely forgot to check with Fastenal... Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Thanks rockNroll... Whadda ya know?! "On Backorder" ... Just my luck...

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #15
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
I completely forgot to check with Fastenal... Thanks!

Thanks rockNroll... Whadda ya know?! "On Backorder" ... Just my luck...
They were in stock when I posted... freeel!

Old May 6th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #16
Shiloh
QuarterLiter Affectionado

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R , 2009 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer

Left hand drill bits are available at O'Reilly Auto Parts, for sure, and I would think Autozone and Peps Boys also.

They (O'ReillY) have EZ OUTS (Screw extractors) in very small sizes, like 1.5 to 2 mm.

Old May 6th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #17
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
Left hand drill bits are available at O'Reilly Auto Parts, for sure, and I would think Autozone and Peps Boys also.

They (O'ReillY) have EZ OUTS (Screw extractors) in very small sizes, like 1.5 to 2 mm.
I checked all three you listed above that were near my house and none of them had it! I'm having the worst luck finding these things!!! Thanks for the suggestion though!