ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 28th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Identify Leak

Quick question for all the wise ones here. After I get to work, I notice this leak.

I did lube my chain (with Maxima) four days ago and only let it soak a few hours before wiping it down and going for a ride. The splotches are fresh and are a clear brownish hue. Thanks for the help in advance
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

What does the underside of your bike and engine look like front to back? Is it possible that you ran through something in the road and did not see it? I'd clean it, then see if it reappears again if it is nothing else visible any where on the bike.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #3
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Looks like the "fluid" is on the sides of the tire too that hasn't touched the pavement. Prolly not something you ran over. Prolly still a good idea to clean everything and check for an engine oil leak. If you think it could be brake fluid, hurry and wash everything cause that stuff is like paint thinner.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #4
kkim

what's it smell like? color on a white sheet of paper?

did you clean your chain w/ a solvent before applying the chain lube?

it looks to me like splatter from something you ran over, but you never know.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #5
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

could be dog pee

Old January 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #6
V2Neal
Bad-ass 250 racer

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, ATK 605, Honda CR250R

Taste test.
CRA #28. Just wave as you go by!
V2Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #7
Cuongism

Thanks guys, when I get off work I'll do all those things. I don't think I rode over anything, San Diego is pretty dry and it was bright out. I do clean with a chain cleaner; I'll check the brand when I get home. If the splotches haven't dried out, I'll take a lick

Old January 28th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Wow, good thing you didnt rip around a left hander.....
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #9
kkim

Cuong,

if you suspect the splotches were from the chain, remove the chain guard and see if the same oily residue is there on the underside as well.

Old January 28th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #10
Cuongism

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Cuong,

if you suspect the splotches were from the chain, remove the chain guard and see if the same oily residue is there on the underside as well.
Good call Kelly. It's dark right now, but I think my pods are also "wet." My flashlight fell through the trunk into the battery compartment and I'm too lazy to remove the seat at the moment. Maybe in a couple of hours...

Old January 28th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #11
kkim

looks like you might be seeping oil from the crankcase breather filter junction. try using a piece of tubing to raise the filter up a bit or maybe clamp it tight at the base with a hose clamp?

Old February 25th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Cuongism

For the leak under the tail, I wiped it clean and it never came back so I guess it was something I rode over.
I finally had a chance to tear the bike down. I had noticed that the left side of the bike is actually fairly dirty and greasy from something.

Left inside of the fairing vs right.

And pics of what the bike looked like inside the left.

Right side was clean though.

Any idea what it may be? I haven't tighten the crankcase breather junction yet but will, but what about the mess towards the front? Since it was only on the left side, I was just hoping that I've been going overboard and caking on chain lube. All the liquids are fine and nothing seems to be low (oil, brake fluids, antifreeze). Thanks for the help again!

Old February 25th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

That fairing looks pretty stained. It would take a little pressure for it to spray all over like that. From looking at your oil pressure switch, there is some pretty caked on dirt and oil residue on it. I would clean the whole engine thoroughly, then run the bike till it is hot, to find out if the oil pressure switch bolt ( has a micro crack) or oil hose is leaking. The oil hose is pretty thin and flimsy, so check it good. Also replacing the crush washer on the oil hose is a good idea if you have to replace the switch or the oil switch bolt. The oil pressure bolt is under pressure up to about 25 PSI max.

Old February 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #14
kkim

looks to me like some of the oil is coming from your crankcase breather filter junction. do you have some sort of keeper/clamp on the hose that attaches the filter to the breather on the engine case or is it just a hose slipped over the case breather?

I'd use some engine degreaser to clean up the engine and see if fresh leaks develop to identify the source.

Old February 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #15
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You should really keep your bike cleaner. It is so much easier to detect leaks and other problems.

Old February 25th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #16
Cuongism

Quote:
looks to me like some of the oil is coming from your crankcase breather filter junction. do you have some sort of keeper/clamp on the hose that attaches the filter to the breather on the engine case or is it just a hose slipped over the case breather?

I'd use some engine degreaser to clean up the engine and see if fresh leaks develop to identify the source.
No clamps...what's the easiest way to add one (can I just reach in somehow without removing everything?). I've cleaned everything I can reach for now, but am avoiding removing the tank for now since I'm not in a garage. My hope is that some oil spilled from a lowside to the left a couple of months ago. My oil level hasn't dropped at all since my last oil change 2k miles ago.

That, and I'm just lazy

Old February 25th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #17
kkim

sorry, I would remove the crankcase filter and use the original clamp they had on there that secured the hose that used to run up to the airbox to secure your filter at that junction.

clean up the greasy/oily stuff with some spray on degreaser and a water hose. you've got the bike apart... now's the best time to clean stuff up.

as an added tip, wd40 works well to clean up a dirty engine (not the really greasy parts). spray some on, let sit, then wipe the dirt off with a clean rag. you might need to use a toothbrush if the dirt's really stubborn. like you, I'm lazy, too, and this is the easiest way I've found to get engine dirt "film" off.

Old February 25th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #18
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
No clamps...what's the easiest way to add one (can I just reach in somehow without removing everything?). I've cleaned everything I can reach for now, but am avoiding removing the tank for now since I'm not in a garage. My hope is that some oil spilled from a lowside to the left a couple of months ago. My oil level hasn't dropped at all since my last oil change 2k miles ago.

That, and I'm just lazy
If you hav a long pair of needle nose you can put on a zip tie. Also a low side would not put oil on the front of the engine. Besides the oil on the switch looks still wet. A little oil can cover a lot of space.

Old February 25th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #19
kkim

Blue,

do you agree it looks like he has 2 sources of oil leaks?

Old February 25th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #20
Cuongism

Haha, that doesn't make me feel better. Guess I'm fully tearing down the bike tomorrow to test everything out. I sorta planned to do it this weekend with the "rain" coming and my tank nearly empty.
If I don't have that clamp anymore, can I pick it up at a Lowe's or Home Depot (or automotive store)? I also have a lifetime supply of zip ties and duct tape.

Old February 25th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #21
kkim

zip tie would work. you could also use a hose clamp like the type they sell for radiator hoses.

Old February 25th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #22
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Blue,

do you agree it looks like he has 2 sources of oil leaks?
Yeah I do. I wonder what it looks like on the bottom as well. Someone else a long while back on newninja cracked his oil filter cover with too much torque and had a mystery oil spray / leak.
http://www.newninja.com/forums/f97/d...ighlight=crack

Old February 26th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

If you guys think that's dirty, I'll never show you a good picture of mine.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM   #24
Cuongism

Do you know what size hose that used to connect the two? Currently it's just plugged in so a clamp wouldn't do anything without the hose connection.

Thanks again!

Old March 1st, 2011, 11:33 AM   #25
kkim

hmmm... that would be sorta difficult to go from a smaller hose to a larger one to fit your present filter without an adapter. If you take a look at the stock vent hose that came out of there, it transitioned from a larger crankcase vent size down to a smaller size to fit onto the airbox.

I simply stuck a large fuel filter onto the end of that stock hose and clamped it onto the end of the hose that previously connected to the airbox.

looks ghetto, but works and I've had no leaks.

not the best pic off it, but gives you an idea of what I'm talking about...

Old March 1st, 2011, 12:18 PM   #26
Cuongism

I guess we have different filters. So far, I've ridden about 5 miles and no signs of leaks have sprung up. I'm gonna take it on the freeway now to see if extended high rpms may cause it.

Old March 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM   #27
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Just FYI - may or may not pertain to you but I just found out this past weekend that the oil leak I was experiencing (see attached pic) was not due to a bad head gasket but the sparkplug seals. They weren't replaced when the valve adjustment was performed.

So the oil was leaking through the two canal channel holes right above the head gasket. Never knew that's what those holes were for. Good to know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Leak due to bad sparkplug seal.jpg (101.1 KB, 27 views)
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2011, 01:26 PM   #28
Cuongism

Thanks, I'll check on that if it looks like it's leaking again. I didn't replace my spark plug seals either when I checked the valves.

Old March 1st, 2011, 01:30 PM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Could this be related to that recall that affected AUS bike (IIRC)?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2011, 01:33 PM   #30
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Just FYI - may or may not pertain to you but I just found out this past weekend that the oil leak I was experiencing (see attached pic) was not due to a bad head gasket but the sparkplug seals. They weren't replaced when the valve adjustment was performed.

So the oil was leaking through the two canal channel holes right above the head gasket. Never knew that's what those holes were for. Good to know.
Good call

Old May 8th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #31
Cuongism

Hey guys, just to update everyone, after cleaning all the internals the bike doesn't show any leakage at all so it was probably from the lowside. However, I now have a leak on another bike and was hoping maybe someone can confirm where it's coming from. It's from a 2007 daytona 675.

It's definitely not just water or condensation because it's corroding the paint. It feels slightly greasy but not too much (less greasy than brake fluid). The last picture shows the battery which had liquid boiling from it. I thought it may be battery acid, but can't find any confirmation searching for battery acid leaks (is it still possible?). After wiping everything down, it leaks again after riding. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Old May 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #32
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
The last picture shows the battery which had liquid boiling from it.
This is not good, you have a problem! I would advise you to have a professional look at your bike.

Old May 8th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #33
kkim

hook a voltage meter (multimeter) to the battery. take three readings.

1- bike not started
2- bike started and at idle
3. bike started and revving at about 3k or so

what are the 3 readings?

Old May 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #34
Cuongism

I took out the battery and it definitely is the source. The battery and tray were all wet.

It's a Yuasa YT7B-BS. Interestingly enough, this is the description I get when researching it:

Sealed, Non-spillable
Once filled with acid from its special packs, the AGM battery is virtually maintenance free. It's totally sealed and all of the acid is absorbed in the special plates and separators, so there is no need to worry about acid leaks on valuable vehicle parts and accessories

Unfortunately I've lost my wallet so funds are minimal til I get my new bank card Friday and I don't own a multimeter. Anyone in Socal who can lend me one? I'll also call Yuasa today to see if it wasn't properly sealed somehow.

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #35
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Name: Glenn

Motorcycle(s): 06 Daytona 675, 09 Ninja 250

Quote:
I took out the battery and it definitely is the source. The battery and tray were all wet.

It's a Yuasa YT7B-BS. Interestingly enough, this is the description I get when researching it:

Sealed, Non-spillable
Once filled with acid from its special packs, the AGM battery is virtually maintenance free. It's totally sealed and all of the acid is absorbed in the special plates and separators, so there is no need to worry about acid leaks on valuable vehicle parts and accessories

Unfortunately I've lost my wallet so funds are minimal til I get my new bank card Friday and I don't own a multimeter. Anyone in Socal who can lend me one? I'll also call Yuasa today to see if it wasn't properly sealed somehow.
CUONG!? You have the same bikes I do!!! When did you pick up the 675?! I've got a multimeter you can borrow plus the VAG cable too! PLUS I need to return all the stuff you let me borrow before I leave the country... Will PM you to meet up...
SdSy675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #36
kkim

yes, you should still do the voltage checks I listed. the problem source may not be the battery.