ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 14th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Speedo Drd, Speedometer and Odometer Accuracy-Speedo Healer/drd

I have not seen a Speedometer correction thread when I searched just now.

I did read another thread that mentioned the devices commonly used to correct ones speedometer.

@sendler and @choneofakind

I noticed that you two were discussing how adjusting your speedometer to be accurate can sacrifice the accuracy of your odometer.

Are you saying that if I take a bone stock bike that has a speedometer that is 4% optimistic about speed and I ride it at 62.4 mph for one hour the odometer will record only 60mph?

How have people determined that the speedometer is inaccurate while the odometer is accurate????

Specifically my GSXR750 speedometer is reading about 13% faster than my bike is traveling when compared to GPS, and Automobile readings.
It reports 10% above my gfs ninja 300

I bought a DRD and installed it......

Great product, cheap, quick install, simple directions, and seems to be effective. I have only taken it out once since the install a few minutes ago and it seems to be accurate against my Iphone GPS speed reading up to 80mph. I have not gone faster than that at this time and will verify its accuracy against other methods of speed measuring. Car, GPS and what not.

Did I screw up my odometer reading by correcting my speedometer??
If I change sprocket sizes and use the drd to correct that it should correct the speedometer and the odometer in equal measure?
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
I have not seen a Speedometer correction thread when I searched just now.

I did read another thread that mentioned the devices commonly used to correct ones speedometer.

@sendler and @choneofakind

I noticed that you two were discussing how adjusting your speedometer to be accurate can sacrifice the accuracy of your odometer.

Are you saying that if I take a bone stock bike that has a speedometer that is 4% optimistic about speed and I ride it at 62.4 mph for one hour the odometer will record only 60mph?

How have people determined that the speedometer is inaccurate while the odometer is accurate????

Specifically my GSXR750 speedometer is reading about 13% faster than my bike is traveling when compared to GPS, and Automobile readings.
It reports 10% above my gfs ninja 300

I bought a DRD and installed it......

Great product, cheap, quick install, simple directions, and seems to be effective. I have only taken it out once since the install a few minutes ago and it seems to be accurate against my Iphone GPS speed reading up to 80mph. I have not gone faster than that at this time and will verify its accuracy against other methods of speed measuring. Car, GPS and what not.

Did I screw up my odometer reading by correcting my speedometer??
If I change sprocket sizes and use the drd to correct that it should correct the speedometer and the odometer in equal measure?
travelling at 62.4 miles per hour your odometer will read 62.4 miles The odometer is calculated off your given speed.

Speed sensor > speedohealer/DRD > displayed MPH > odometer. The DRD corrects the speed displayed thus corrects the odometer reading.

Old August 14th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
travelling at 62.4 miles per hour your odometer will read 62.4 miles The odometer is based of your given speed.
If my odometer reads from given speed on the speedo... then where the heck do people get an idea that DRD or Healer will throw my odometer out of accuracy.?

Old August 14th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
If my odometer reads from given speed on the speedo... then where the heck do people get an idea that DRD or Healer will throw my odometer out of accuracy.?
I know I'm missing a whole back story, but the only way it'll throw your odometer reading out is if it's not adjusted or calibrated properly to your gearing ratio. At that point your speed indicated would be off as well.

Old August 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #5
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

These two confused me-
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...69&postcount=4
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...30&postcount=5

These posts led me to believe that they know something I don't about the speedo and tach.

(I don't know much.... I was just running with assumptions when I figured the tach and odemeter are one unit that function off of the same input signal thus probably calculate at the same rate..... )

Old August 14th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #6
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Sounds like they are right for the most part.

Per SpeedoDRD:

Quote:
SpeedoDRD does allow for Speedometer and/or Odometer correction, although sometimes getting them both 100% correct continuously is not possible, this is because some vehicles have an odometer error rate which is not equal to the speedometer error rate, since your ECU or Gauge Cluster uses the same signal to determine both the odometer reading and the speed reading, this type of problem lies within the ECU or Gauge Cluster itself. If you find yourself in this situation, you will be able to get your speed 100% and the odometer very close. Or you can choose to get the odometer 100% and the speed very close, or you could even choose a happy medium between the two, and get them both equally close, its up to you, and it depends on how far apart the two error rates are from each other.

To determine your Distance error rate, use this formula:
100 - ((Actual Miles Traveled / Miles Displayed on Odometer) * 100) = Distance Error Ratio
where "Actual Miles Traveled" is a mileage reference which is known to be accurate, such as by a rolling wheel ruler, or laser distance measuring tool, GPS device, etc.

To determine your Speedometer error rate, use this formula:
100 - ((GPS Speed / Speedometer Readout) * 100) = Speed Error Ratio

To determine the correction ratio for an error rate, you simply invert the sign, example:
for a 7% error rate, you would need a -7% correction ratio entered into your SpeedoDRD device

Another factor to consider is that your odometer has probably been racking up inflated miles for quite some time now, so if your odometer is around 4% errored and your speedometer is around 6% errored, and you already have put 1000 miles on your vehicle with an errored speedometer signal, you really only have only put 960 miles on your vehicle, thus if you correct for the speed using a -6% correction ratio to get 100% accurate speed readings, you will cause a -2% correction on the odometer. This means that 2000 miles after using your -6% correction ratio, your odometer will finally read what it actually should. This is the most common situation among users which have error rates which are not equal, because the speed almost always has a higher error rate than the odometer if the two error rates are not equal. For this reason, and in most circumstances, it is usually best to go ahead and select to calibrate your speed to be 100% accurate.
Per SpeedoHealer:

Quote:
Will the SH calibrate both my speedo and odometer?
Yes, but it is not possible to calibrate them separately, as one speed signal drives both the speedometer and the odometer.
On most bikes, if the speedo is calibrated to be 100% accurate, the odo will register slightly less miles. While this can be annoying in certain situations, one can always calculate the real distance easily after a long trip.
Alternatively, of course, you can get the factory default indications regardless of the used gearing: accurate odometer and slightly optimistic speedo.

Old August 14th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
The odometer and speedo are both run off the same electrical signal coming off of that sensor on your transmission. The speedo is often calibrated to read high, while the odometer is calibrated to be closer to the real distance. It's set that way. You can confirm/disprove this with your own bike with a GPS, or by the mile markers on some highways. The speedohealer type devices muck with that electrical signal, to basically slow it down or speed it up to change the speed reading however it is adjusted, typically to make it read more accurately. If you are lowering the speed shown on the speedometer, it's doing the same exact correction on the odometer, so if that was already closer to accurate, it will now read low.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #8
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The odometer and speedo are both run off the same electrical signal coming off of that sensor on your transmission. The speedo is often calibrated to read high, while the odometer is calibrated to be closer to the real distance. It's set that way. You can confirm/disprove this with your own bike with a GPS, or by the mile markers on some highways. The speedohealer type devices muck with that electrical signal, to basically slow it down or speed it up to change the speed reading however it is adjusted, typically to make it read more accurately. If you are lowering the speed shown on the speedometer, it's doing the same exact correction on the odometer, so if that was already closer to accurate, it will now read low.
- exactly this is the way it's working, after I'd adjust the speedo from my RX2 to be the same like gps then the odometer is showing approximately 150 meters less.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #9
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Yeah. I understand the principle I just don't understand why they would produce them new with a discrepancy between speedometer and odometer calculations.

That is very annoying.