ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 8th, 2021, 08:02 AM   #1
defaultstivaper
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Will H7 LED w/ heatsink / fan module fit an 08 Ninja?

How's it going, a friend of mine just gave me a free set of Ironwalls LED h7 bulbs. Knowing they were h7s, I decided I would try them on the bike. They are your typical LED h7s with the small heatsink and fan attached. They are plug and play. Has anyone had any issues w this style? Will the retaining clip clear the heatsink / fan?

Thanks
defaultstivaper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2021, 09:29 AM   #2
Gearbox Paul
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2007 CBR 125R (sold)

I have done this. I had to bend the retaining clips (I installed LED's for both the low and high beam) to clear the heatsink and fan of the LED's. I ended up breaking the retaining clips and had to make new ones from a piece of spring steel.

In the end, it all worked out. I used Katana LED's that are much brighter than the OEM halogen lights and the beam pattern is good. I had to cut out a portion of the dust cap to make room for the fan. The Katana's have a separate ballast that I tucked under the fairing and secured with tie wraps.
Gearbox Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2021, 10:39 AM   #3
defaultstivaper
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbox Paul View Post
I have done this. I had to bend the retaining clips (I installed LED's for both the low and high beam) to clear the heatsink and fan of the LED's. I ended up breaking the retaining clips and had to make new ones from a piece of spring steel.

In the end, it all worked out. I used Katana LED's that are much brighter than the OEM halogen lights and the beam pattern is good. I had to cut out a portion of the dust cap to make room for the fan. The Katana's have a separate ballast that I tucked under the fairing and secured with tie wraps.
Well that's good, and bad. I was hoping to jam it in there without breaking anything. Was also hoping to bend the little retainer around or through the heatsink. I guess I will feel it out. What year is your Ninja?

Old March 8th, 2021, 01:38 PM   #4
Gearbox Paul
ninjette.org member

2010. It's really not that bad, and you'll be happy with the result, assuming you have good quality LED's.

I would suggest removing the headlight assembly from the bike to bend/modify the retaining clip. It's much easier doing this on a workbench than crouching under the front of the bike where you can't see what you're doing and can barely reach with you're hand. I found out the hard way !

Old March 8th, 2021, 01:49 PM   #5
defaultstivaper
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbox Paul View Post
2010. It's really not that bad, and you'll be happy with the result, assuming you have good quality LED's.

I would suggest removing the headlight assembly from the bike to bend/modify the retaining clip. It's much easier doing this on a workbench than crouching under the front of the bike where you can't see what you're doing and can barely reach with you're hand. I found out the hard way !
Tried it w/o removing the headlamp unit, and it sucked. I lined it up rather easily, but it would not retain. It sat flat but bounced around. Is there an easy way to remove the whole assembly?

Old March 8th, 2021, 03:39 PM   #6
Gearbox Paul
ninjette.org member

It's easy. Remove the front fairing and headlight assembly as all one piece. The guy in the video shows how to remove the fairing. Disconnect the wires to both bulbs, and leave the headlight assembly bolted to the fairing. It will all come out as one piece. Then you can easily work on it.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by Alex; March 8th, 2021 at 11:29 PM. Reason: edited to add youtube tags