ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 5th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #1
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Small incident yesterday: Bike died suddenly after almost redlining, started right up

I was coming home yesterday, late night. For some reason I remembered that every one says the power or the Ninja 250 is in the high rpms.

I had about a mile stretch of straight empty road, I tucked and gunned it. First I noticed the bike wobbled minutely during the acceleration at a certain speed, but I don't think it was anything major.

What scared me is that as I untucked and let off the throttle the bike turned off, exactly as it dies if you go into gear with the kick stand down. I had enough momentum to turn into a parking lot, once there I tried to start it again and it did with no issues.

Any ideas what could have caused this, and should I be worried?

One point to note is that I might not let the bike warm up completely because it was late and I wanted to get home, another is that this was the first time I revved the bike this high, I usually just cruise along with partial throttle at max 7-8k rpm.

Thanks in advance guys,

Old May 5th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #2
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Could you perhaps have flipped the engine cut off switch in your "post-first-time-euphoric-acceleration" excitement?
Oh!...and you really don't have to let the bike "warm up" while standing still, the preferred method is to ride it after turning it on (with optional choke application i.e.)
read this - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Warming_up_your_engine
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #3
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
Could you perhaps have flipped the engine cut off switch in your "post-first-time-euphoric-acceleration" excitement?
Oh!...and you really don't have to let the bike "warm up" while standing still, the preferred method is to ride it after turning it on (with optional choke application i.e.)
read this - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Warming_up_your_engine
absolutely, I could have done that, I also though I might have pushed the kickstand down accidentally or something. Hopefully it won't happen on the highway

Old May 5th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

*raises hand* I've stalled by gunning a cold engine.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #5
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
*raises hand* I've stalled by gunning a cold engine.
Haha, good to know im not the only squid that this happened to

I rode the bike today, and no issues at all. I guess she's just a little temperamental