ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #41
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Smart way for them to repair it cost wise, but still leaves me with a cracked engine case on a brand new bike.

Anyway... Kawi gave us the thing to check for ourselves. We'll call them back and report no leaks.. maybe they'll change the status of my bike.

I stuck a q-tip soaked with soapy water all over there and pressurized it to 5lbs for sure and no leakage. I will definitely keep my eye on it.

Either way, I'll probably perform the repair for the hell of it. Why not
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #42
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

think I found my leak after knowing where to look- I don't have toolos to pull the spocket but I finally went out and got an 8mm socket to pull the sprocket cover off and wala...

seems to drip down from said recall area and down under the generator cover - but my bikes not on the recall/vin list-
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #43
ninja250
You are sleeping

I'd call Kawi and get one of those repair kits sent out to you dude.
That's what I'm going to do even though I can't get it to leak (yet)
Why wait to find out if it does.. I'll just take care of it now.
I do see funny "things" in the said area though like I can see how the case isn't perfect right there.

You should be able to do the repair without removing the sprocket, depending on how bad it is. I'd drain the oil and inspect the case really good to see how big the hole was.

Sorry to see you have the problem dude but at least glad I was able to help a tiny bit Hope you get it ironed out bro.
Maybe they will be expanding the recall to cover more VIN range.

Old December 11th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #44
ninja250
You are sleeping

Hey just replied to your PM.
If a am able to help in any way, let me know.
I'm gonna call Kawi today and see if it's OK I do the repair on my bike and they remove the recall request on my VIN.

Old December 11th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #45
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

They should replace the part with a good one. If the math is correct there are X amount without the problem and 200 odd with it ....get a new whatever and bolt it onto the crap whatever. If the part isnt repariable then there would be a world wide recall not 200 odd. They, I have to asume made non defective parts for said recall then replace it with a non defective part, not bog it as we would say in OZ
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #46
ninja250
You are sleeping

Yeah I don't think they want to lose their arse rebuilding the engine to the tune of a couple thousand dollars for each bike with the problem. Easier to just "bodge it" with epoxy. Otherwise, it IS a complete tear down of the engine to replace, considering it's the case of the engine with the problem.

I probably won't buy a Kawi again after this. Very bad impression for me. I've owned two 600's before and never anything like this.

I wonder if the problem can develop over time or if each unit will be pretty much discernible that has the problem right away.

Old December 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #47
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

My question is how in the hell did they make it to market when they are the "experts" in Q.A. (quality assurance) in their so called piece on Twisted Throttle... huh? They should be mandated to have a return on involved vins and replace with completely new bikes far as I see it. Pay huge on the correction rather than a dab will do you blob of expoxy in a crank case. Might tighten up their "Q.A" little people that run around the plant. If my bike hits the R-list I'm gonna dump it and move to the Yamaha FZ6R..... never to return to Kawi. This to me is a huge safety issue and ridiculous repair solution.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #48
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

You guys are blowing it way out of proportion. Its a newly designed bike, and with any new product, there are bound to be a few glitches. And dont think other companies are immune to recalls either. Just look at suzuki...they recalled a bunch of GSXR's because the freakin frame would fail and drop the front end off the bike while you were riding down the road.

The 2008 250's had a front end brake recall.

This is a minor problem with a simple fix. And only affects 259 bikes out of how many thousands they've produced. Id say its rather impressive that this is the only problem thats turned up.

Kawasaki is a great company with a great product. Id still take my ninja over anything else out there.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #49
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

It's a casting problem. Most likely Kawasaki does not produce the casting therefore it is a supplier quality problem. That's not to say it is acceptable for them or the consumer, and that is why they have the recall to fix it.

In any case if the part is fixed the way they say I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

To answer your question ninja250, no it is not a problem that would develop over time. If the casting is porous it will show the leaking now, it won't become more porous as time passes.

Even if you do the check yourself and the bike is fine, take it to the dealer to have them do the check too. This will get you off the recall list. You really have nothing to lose by taking it there.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #50
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
And only affects 259 bikes out of how many thousands they've produced.
I wouldn't be so sure considering the guy above has the leak problem and his bike isn't on the recall list.
It would appear they don't know for sure what bikes are effected or not.
Quote:
Even if you do the check yourself and the bike is fine, take it to the dealer to have them do the check too. This will get you off the recall list. You really have nothing to lose by taking it there.
I don't have a choice.

Old December 11th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #51
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

BMW (motorcycles) has had many, many recalls. Having owned 2 german cars it doesn't surprise me.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #52
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

casting problem? wow, sounds like serious crack down needed in Japan...this country (Japan) supposed to have one of the best QA. Anyways, I would think they would replace the engine/head....never in the wildest dream that they would go the cheap route and fix it with JB weld...hahaha..sounds like some American management's idea to save some $$$...prob just hired this management dude from GM plant...hahaha.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #53
ninja250
You are sleeping

Thanks goodness I'm not the only one that thinks this way.
A recall I can understand but not so much on the JB weld on the crank case.

And they told me all their years of experience that would be fine.

What about on a track bike, is it OK to JB weld the crank case?

Old December 11th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #54
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Why replace the entire engine...thats rediculus. Why would any company replace an entire engine when a bit of industrial epoxy would fix it permanently.

You trust your local shop to do a complete teardown of your engine and replace an ENTIRE half of the crankcase. I barely trust my local shop to change a tire, much less split the case on a brand new engine.

Not to mention Kawasaki has to reimburse the shop for the expenses of the repairs. Do you have any idea what it would cost in labor to split the cases on 259 engines. Call your local shop and ask them what it would cost to replace one half of your crankcase...try not to have a heartattack when they tell you. No company in the universe is gonna do that unless they have no choice. I dont know of any stealership shop that would split cases and have it back together in a week...try more like a few months. Not to mention the government has to sign off on recall repairs in the US, so they checked off on the epoxy fix.

The epoxy is the way to go here, and I completely understand why they chose to do it that way. Cheaper, easier, and faster, less inconvience for the customer.

Old December 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #55
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Oh, and NO where did they tell you to fix it with JBweld.....

Its THREE BOND 2098b....
Its totally different from JBWeld. Threebond adhesives are what they use to glue brake pads to the liners, glue the magnets to the inside of your starters, etc. Its much much tougher than JBweld, and after its all cured up is probably stronger than the crankcase you put it on.

Old December 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #56
ninja250
You are sleeping

I looked up the specs. It's exactly the same as JB weld stick..
I don't trust anyone touching the bike but me.

I wouldn't trust JB weld on a $2000 RC helicopter engine or a bike engine.

Quote:
Call your local shop and ask them what it would cost to replace one half of your crankcase...try not to have a heartattack when they tell you.
Exactly... half the cost of the bike! lol

That's why they want to JB weld it instead of doing what is right and providing good parts. It will cost them too much otherwise to fix their mistake.

PS.. the number could indeed be greater than 259 from the looks of it. They don't even know what bikes it happened to.

Old December 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #57
ninja250
You are sleeping

I'm not trying to argue here. I'm not trying to say Kawasaki makes bad motorcycles. I did say I did get a bad first impression from this though. I don't know if Kawi makes a bad bike as this is my first one coming from Yama and Zuki and now is my time to judge.

I guess I will stop after this. Really not trying to go back and fourth.

But if you went out looking at brand new ninjettes today and you found one but it had the hole in the crank case and the epoxy repair job, would you still buy it? For the same price?
Or would you wait for one without it?

Be honest!

Old December 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #58
NickH
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Buell XB12Scg and 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I guess I got lucky before the official recall came out and ended up with a completely new head. The parts alone were around 1,000.00 and labor was another 1,000.00. If the new "official" fix is with epoxy, never again will I purchase another Kawasaki.

-Nick-
NickH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #59
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Out of curiosity... Kawi mentions in the recall notice that you shouldn't ride the bike until the problem is fixed. That seems to imply that the dealers have to give you a free pickup and re-delivery of the bike - anyone know if that's actually the case?
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #60
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH View Post
I guess I got lucky before the official recall came out and ended up with a completely new head.
This casting error has nothing to do with the head, it's pretty deep in the block, so it sounds like the problem your bike had is at least somewhat different than what this recall addresses.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #61
sixer
no joy

hey hey hip cats- Ninja250- thanks for your help!!!

Im still on the fence with this one... I think both sides make valid points...

Welp called Kawi and asked if they could send me a repair kit and they were like - best to take it to a kawi shop I can't send you anything... LLLLLLLLLONG PAUSE... and I seys "yeah ok by".

I still like my bike it's great for a beginner like me, I've learned alot with it and have made a few friends and it's a great hobby.

I'ts def not built like its bigger sisters.

I also noticed that my new sprocket washer was all bent up you cant see it in the pic its underneath- i just hope the person who put it on didn't crack anything (put it on with an air wrench) - I'm still hopefull that it isn't a recall issue i hope its just a seal...

My primed fairing is iffy after soaking it in dawn water/dried it, i started to sand it and it's still saturated =(.

I'm sure ill grow into that cbr someday -

Old December 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #62
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

If you prep the surface right, JB weld will seal it and last the life of the bike (or let the dealer do it with their stuff)... this isn't a high visibility area and you could touch over it with some high-temp paint... no worries. All the bike mfgrs have stupid stuff happen. GSXR frames were breaking in two at the steering stems, CBR 1000's were eating stators like they were a free lunch... these things happen and we're talking about a budget Kawasaki here. Yeah it sucks, but eh, it happens.

Old December 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #63
sixer
no joy

SMC bride- the letter states you gotta get it there kawi shall not incur any other cost cept fer 25cent piece of bubble yum- LMAO

I knew i shouldn't have changed my own oil- lmao-
lemonade that cool refreshing drink*

Last futzed with by sixer; December 11th, 2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: its friday and im drinkin my 40OZ

Old December 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #64
blackRod
ninjette.org member

Name: Rod

Motorcycle(s): Honda DIO2 trike; 2010 Ninja 250R

OH ooow!

WOW! this is not a good one... I am really on the edge of getting my beloved Ninjette but with this news???

Still, I will get one!

Anyway, would it be the right time or just wait a couple of weeks or months so that they would be able to fix the prob before they hand me "my precious"?

Advise please.

Regards
blackRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #65
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackRod View Post
WOW! this is not a good one... I am really on the edge of getting my beloved Ninjette but with this news???

Still, I will get one!

Anyway, would it be the right time or just wait a couple of weeks or months so that they would be able to fix the prob before they hand me "my precious"?

Advise please.

Regards
The bikes with the potential problem have been identified so before those bikes that are still in stock will be fixed before they are sold. My advice is buy when you are ready.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #66
blackRod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
The bikes with the potential problem have been identified so before those bikes that are still in stock will be fixed before they are sold. My advice is buy when you are ready.
That was fast Snake! Thanks.

Old December 13th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #67
ninja250
You are sleeping

I don't believe all the bikes that have the problem have been identified.
I would look through this thread again carefully and see that someone has the problem that is not on the VIN list for recall.

They are covering the repairs with engine enamel. I would give a long hard look at any new ninja 250R I was thinking about buying to make sure it does not have this repair on it. They are selling them brand new like this and some dealers don't even know about it yet or haven't even fixed all the bikes yet as this recall is only a few days old.

Take my advice. You don't want the bike with the hole in it.

Old December 13th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #68
blackRod
ninjette.org member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
I don't believe all the bikes that have the problem have been identified.
I would look through this thread again carefully and see that someone has the problem that is not on the VIN list for recall.

They are covering the repairs with engine enamel. I would give a long hard look at any new ninja 250R I was thinking about buying to make sure it does not have this repair on it. They are selling them brand new like this and some dealers don't even know about it yet or haven't even fixed all the bikes yet as this recall is only a few days old.

Take my advice. You don't want the bike with the hole in it.
Appreciate your advice. Now all I have to do is to ask our local dealer here in the Philippines if the units that came from Thailand which was also shipped throughout the globe is brand new and had a repaired cracked on the engine(sounds weird)

And certainly, I would not be able to see the oil leaks unless I take off the fairing right?

Worst, I will not be able to see the leak until I buy and use it.

Owww man But I still want her

Old December 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #69
ninja250
You are sleeping

I'm still buying mine and I have yet to have it checked for this problem.

I can't say I will be happy if it has the holes in my engine though.

I don't have much choice. I just bought it and found out about this two weeks later.

If I found out about this before buying it, I would have thought twice.

Just grab a flashlight and look for a "bodged" area behind the front sprocket cover. The dealer shouldn't have much trouble popping the three bolts to the sprocket cover off to sell you the bike if you really want them to. They usually have a mechanic go over the bike before they let you out the door with it. Ask that dude, he won't mind.

Old December 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #70
blackRod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
I'm still buying mine and I have yet to have it checked for this problem.

I can't say I will be happy if it has the holes in my engine though.

I don't have much choice. I just bought it and found out about this two weeks later.

If I found out about this before buying it, I would have thought twice.

Just grab a flashlight and look for a "bodged" area behind the front sprocket cover. The dealer shouldn't have much trouble popping the three bolts to the sprocket cover off to sell you the bike if you really want them to. They usually have a mechanic go over the bike before they let you out the door with it. Ask that dude, he won't mind.
Noted!..Thanks again...Ill keep you posted on this little adventure of mine

Old December 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #71
sixer
no joy

I replaced my sprocket a month ago...

Question: does the new sprocket need the rubber parts (D) -

but the mechanic didnt put them in (? other pic) will this cause problems (leaking)??

I just noticed it...

Old December 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #72
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Go kick that mechanic.
Yes, the rubber parts need to be in there. They are dampers. Without them it can cause premature chain and sprocket wear. Also one side of the washer is supposed to be bent over the nut, so the nut doesnt back off the shaft.

This is why none of my bikes ever go to a shop and I prefer to do the work myself. Boneheads never put a bike back together right.

Old December 14th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #73
blackRod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Go kick that mechanic.
Yes, the rubber parts need to be in there. They are dampers. Without them it can cause premature chain and sprocket wear. Also one side of the washer is supposed to be bent over the nut, so the nut doesnt back off the shaft.

This is why none of my bikes ever go to a shop and I prefer to do the work myself. Boneheads never put a bike back together right.
Hi Bryan,
U mean bend the washer over the nut(washer hugs nut by squeezing it using like a pliers or something)after tightening the nut? Washer acts as lock for the nut?

Old December 14th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #74
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Yeah, the washer bends over the nut, Im guessing its to act as a lock washer or something.

Old December 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #75
sixer
no joy

Thanks guys-

egads the JT Sproc doesn't need the rubber washer my oversite- never mind..

-L

Old December 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #76
sixer
no joy

Yoiks!! the verdicts in and the dealer seyz -

IT IS THE RECALL LEAK...

but its not on the vin list..??. but i will get the repair done by the dealer and kawi will send the kit.. i'm going to have the dealer take a pic or 2- - i have to take her in on friday... or they will call...
merry christmass fer me ... =(

Old December 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #77
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

I was happy that kawa website said no recall for mine, now I think I'd better check very carefully.

This is a very important piece of information. Thanks.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #78
BuckBuck#1
ninjette.org member

Name: Guy

Motorcycle(s): Now 2009 Ninja 250: Previously CB900, DL650, VLX600, GN250

Ninja 250R - Recall In New Zealand

I received my recall letter Friday last week. The bike had been in for its 1000km service the previous Tuesday 8 December. Appears as though the dealership only received the recall notice by email late on 8 December.

Contacted the dealership and arranged time to bring bike in for inspection. Today 17 December got the bike to the dealership, they said they have already done one bike and it was fine. My bike appears to be okay, the inspection was an 'external'.

Bottomline: I will write to the Kawasaki distributor, copy to the dealership, and advise that the bike was subject to 'an external inspection.' I will ask both the distributor and dealership if a 5psi pressure test was done as a part of this recall procedure, as I was provided no insight information from the distributor in the letter I received.

So notwithstanding the fact that the bike has a two year warranty period, I must say that I do feel disappointed for this to have occurred. I will get the letter off to Kawasaki and the dealership immediately.
BuckBuck#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #79
sixer
no joy

Many thanks to lockie and ninja250

I was about to pay my "on the side mech" to start replacing gaskets

on a side note the dealer had 3 ninja 250's in the garage and all the tags said repos- a red, green(se) and black one. - my bud and i got a chuckle out of it...

keep ya'll posted...

Old December 16th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #80
ninja250
You are sleeping

I feel confident in my abilities to judge weather or not it has the leak as determined here. I don't believe mine does, but I did not measure in the way shown in the info they provided me. I used my gut feeling on my measurement.

My crank case spit back out 5psi when I released my seal on the breather tube. No bubbles from my soapy water.

For those of you who have the crack, better get the extended warranty.
That JB weld fix only has to last them until your warranty is up.

IMO, it's in a high stress area of the crank case being near the output shaft. Plus you don't really want a big chunk of something sitting a half inch from your pinion. What if that thing falls off and gets stuck in your chain somehow? If it's already thin right there maybe it could ricochet back and finish the job on the crank case?

I'll be watching for leaks on mine like a hawk. Anyone with one of these bikes needs to take note of any leakage coming from under the front sprocket cover "just in case".