Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
insurance on a NON-OP car?

so here's my dilemma, my car is registered until October. it's been broken since February. i don't have time or money to fix the blown clutch right now especially since i never use it anyway and my car insurance company decided they wanted to raise my rates on it because of a ticket... so, i cancelled the insurance on it. but it's not registered non-op with the dmv yet? the insurance company said i would get fined? by who? they wouldn't say they just said 'its a 200$ fine' over and over. it's going to be registered non-op on the next reg cycle but why would i pay the 25$ or whatever it is early when i don't need to? you don't need insurance to register a vehicle as non-op do you? it's disabled... its going nowhere... is the insurance company just trying to scare me into keeping it insured? i was googling a few things but couldn't come up with much... all i could find was driving a vehicle without insurance but its just going to sit in the garage...

does anyone know about this?

arg of course after i put this up i find what i'm looking for

Quote:
Notify DMV before you cancel your insurance to prevent a vehicle registration suspension

If you are not operating your currently registered vehicle, and it is not parked on a California roadway, you may submit an Affidavit of Non-Use (ANU) via DMV’s Vehicle Registration Suspensions and Insurance page or by calling the automated voice system at 1-800-777-0133. The ANU form (REG 5090) (PDF) may be mailed to DMV.

Follow the procedures above to remove the ANU during the same registration year and submit evidence of insurance.

Old July 30th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #2
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

well, when you cancel your insurance with the current company, they send a document to the DMV stating that you no longer have insurance for your vehicle. This can result in many things, for instance, here in MD, if your insurance is canceled/lapses, you are fined i believe 200$+ and then at a rate of something ridiculous for every day you are late. I let this happen one time 3-4 years ago, my bill when I came home from vacation? 450$ dollars.

Also, cancelling your insurance/ allowing it to lapse will directly affect your policy premiums and can also get your license suspended, car impounded etc. Youre essentially breaking the law. Its that simple really.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #3
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningscooter View Post
Also, cancelling your insurance/ allowing it to lapse will directly affect your policy premiums and can also get your license suspended, car impounded etc. Youre essentially breaking the law. Its that simple really.
This is under the context that youre car is considered operational or driveable with current registration even.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 11:48 AM   #4
kyrider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Here in KY that is no big deal as long as you are not caught driving it.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote