ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old February 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Near Miss

Just recently started watching this new moto vlogger and in his latest video, he reveals a close call he had experienced earlier. He had shown part of it before but didn't show the result until now.

I don't ride yet so wanted to ask the knowledgeable community here. To me, while he did avoid an accident, locking up the tires is never a good thing. What would've been a better way to react to someone coming over like that?

Link to original page on YouTube.

No need to watch the whole thing unless you feel like it. The near-miss is within the first couple seconds.

Old February 4th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #2
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

I think he did a pretty good job of avoiding that car. True, he could have not jumped on the brakes and instead steered clear (he had plenty of space to his right), but this is all in hindsight and I will not beat on the guy. Also, he did lock the front wheel but released the brake quickly which is THE thing to do if you've locked your front, so thumbs up to the dude for that as well. At the end of the day, he avoided a possibly life threatening situation and that warrants respect.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #3
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

It was not bad at all, just shave off speed and you are in the clear.

In my (noobish) opinion, it was 90% riders fault.

He caught up with the car's blind spot, and just cruised there. He should have kept going or stayed a little back.

I can totally visualize the driver checking his mirror (a second before changing lanes) and not seeing the bike there.

Old February 4th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenigcitizen View Post
It was not bad at all, just shave off speed and you are in the clear.

In my (noobish) opinion, it was 90% riders fault.

He caught up with the car's blind spot, and just cruised there. He should have kept going or stayed a little back.

I can totally visualize the driver checking his mirror (a second before changing lanes) and not seeing the bike there.
Yeah, I can see that. Makes me wish more drivers did the shoulder check as well instead of only relying on their mirrors.

Also, not saying he didn't do a good job. I just know if there had been any debris on the road like sand or some slick spot, he could've gone down for locking it up. Also heard the engine rev too....not sure if that's due to a panic grab on the throttle or what.

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Good on him for avoiding the car, but he overreacted, and would have been clobbered by a vehicle directly behind him that might not have been paying attention. Squeeze the brake, don't grab it, and sometimes more isn't better.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

WOW that guy had a delayed reaction and then totally freaked out. Made me laugh. And then he honked the horn way after the car was gone. He scares me. He needs to pay way more attention to what is going on around him and less time vlogging. And Alex is right about him being hit if there was a car behind him. If he was paying attention he could have easily passed the car or slowed down.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote