ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 14th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #1
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

First piece of gear purchased! The All-Important Helmet.

So, I decided to go support my local Cycle Gear instead of purchasing online. Couple reasons:

1) I feel horrible trying on all their helmets just to take my business somewhere else.
2) The employee who helped me was super knowledgeable and chill.

Plus, I work at a retail shipping outlet so I see business leaving our store to go ship using online account numbers from FedEx/UPS, etc. It is very annoying. Much rather spend the additional money at a brick and mortar than anything else.

Anyway, my budget was pretty small, $200. I got this matte black Seven Zero Seven Backlash on-sale for $150. The sales rep compared the helmet to a Bell model worth $500. He compared the aerodynamics, vents, chin skirt, etc. The two helmets looked extremely similar. The rep said 707 copied a lot of Bell's design for this helmet.

The dark smoke shield was $30. With tax the total came to $193. Very happy and it is the perfect fit, comfortable yet snug. I will have to wait to upgrade to a Shoei. They were pretty expensive helmets no doubt.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Nice helmet!! I bought the 707 Vendetta 2 for my first helmet. And loved it. Just recently crash tested it and I am happy to say it worked great! The visor broke off on one side but it did it's job protecting my eyes. I ended up with a little cut on my chin from the removable wind blocking piece that fits in under the chin. But the helmet is now trash. So I am in the market for a new one.

I might get the Backlash. Seems like a good price for a little bit nicer helmet than the Vendetta.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #3
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Yeah I saw the Vendetta as well. Both helmets looked pretty good. And now I have the peace of mind that this will be a quality one as well How severe was your accident?

Old February 14th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #4
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I got my gmax for $99
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
Yeah I saw the Vendetta as well. Both helmets looked pretty good. And now I have the peace of mind that this will be a quality one as well How severe was your accident?
Not too severe. My bike was/is in worse shape than me. I walked away with just some bruises. My bike could not be ridden home. It had a bent fork and triple tree, broken front fairings, headlight, gauge cluster, bent handle bar, blown fuse. I think I just got lucky that I escaped with hardly any injuries. It was at night and it happened so fast I don't really know what happened other than it was all my fault. Haha. I was riding too fast for my skills and the conditions I was in.

But I believe that helmet could have taken quite a bit more of a beating and I would still be here. I was also wearing a Bilt jacket from Cycle Gear and it held up nicely as well.

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Phew, glad to hear you are alright. I saw the Bilt jackets as well. I was thinking about getting one. I may stop by again this weekend and try some on.

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Ritaro
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250-Claire-sold, 2005 CBR600RR-Chloe-

I picked up the same helmet from cycle gear, same price I believe. Two of my other buddies got the same one too
Only complaint I have is that a piece of liner on top of the face opening comes loose and doesn't plug back in very well, I should probably just glue it. The piece literally hangs down but doesn't obstruct my view.
Ritaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Jono

Just bought this helmet today! I got the mirrored visor and it looks sweet!!! And it is more comfortable than the Vendetta 2 and it is not even broken in yet.

I was wanting the Scorpion EXO700 but my local cycle gear doesn't carry them. And like you I don't like buying online unless I know it fits me. I need to try things on.

So I ended up with the matte black 707 Backlash for $145 and $35 for the mirrored visor. I am happy.

Old February 17th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #9
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

I am debating about getting the chrome visor as well. Both the tinted and chrome look sick. Such a hard decision...

Old February 19th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #10
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Good call going with a brick and mortar for your helmet purchase. Best way to determine fit is to try them on. And to try them on, find what you like, then buy on the internet is a good way to lose local retailers.

Also, just a note that the SevenZeroSeven brand is a CycleGear house brand. Their MO is to contract with the factory direct and avoid dealing with distributors. Some other SevenZeroSeven helmets are made by J-Tech, which is a value helmet manufacturer out of Korea that is sold in the U.S. as XPeed Helmets. They also manufacture ICON helmets, Z1R helmets and other inexpensive brands, and aren't averse to doing knockoffs to order. I suspect they are the manufacturer here as well. You end up with the same product for cheaper and the quality is as good or better than the original. I'm a fan of this approach -- only a handful of factories end up making the gear - why pay for advertising and marketing budgets?

As an aside, I believe the Backlash is a knock-off of the outstanding value Bell Vortex ($179) and not the $500 Bell Star. Similar look and features between the two helmets, and a nice comparison from the salesperson's perspective, but a different helmet. Still a value over the Vortex, at about $30 cheaper on sale right now, and the Vortex was already one of the best value for dollar helmets out there. (Interesting to note that the Backlash is ECE and DOT compliant, but the Vortex is also Snell2010 certified. I suspect that it is just a question of cost for CycleGear not to go for Snell because of the cost involved, and that it would likely meet the standard.) In fact, the Vortex is polycarbonate shell, and the Backlash is superior fibreglass shell. Really, seems like a really good helmet for the dollar.

My only criticism is that I'd go with a better color option for safety. I strongly recommend review Ninjette.org's helmet wiki before buying a helmet. One of the things it talks about it helmet color. Matte black looks badass, but wearing it will increase the chances that you will need it by 24% over a light colored helmet. On such an important safety feature, best to maximize the safety by choosing a more visible color imho.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #11
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Oh, and a quick warning about the BiLT jackets. They use the same philosophy of buying manufacturer direct and rebranding, but the jacket manufacturers are the lower end ones. Compared to helmets, there is a larger difference in quality there. I've spent some time looking at the BiLT jackets, and a few of them are just garbage (just like the stuff they are based on). Better to look at the Sedici jackets. Still CycleGear branded product, and still a good value, but based on really good quality stuff. I love the Sedici stuff, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:32 PM   #12
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Oh, and a quick warning about the BiLT jackets. They use the same philosophy of buying manufacturer direct and rebranding, but the jacket manufacturers are the lower end ones. Compared to helmets, there is a larger difference in quality there. I've spent some time looking at the BiLT jackets, and a few of them are just garbage (just like the stuff they are based on). Better to look at the Sedici jackets. Still CycleGear branded product, and still a good value, but based on really good quality stuff. I love the Sedici stuff, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Well I have had a great experience with the only Bilt jacket I own. And only motorcycle jacket I own. I have the Bilt Air Demon jacket. http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ket/web1001038 It is very nice. I wouldn't wear any other mesh jacket. This one is great because it has leather in the high impact areas if you go down. And I have gone down in it. Although I was only on the concrete for a split second then ended up in the grass/dirt but I didn't have a single bruise on my upper body. I think the armor in the jacket saved me some pain. My jeans didn't. I had quite a few bruises on my legs.

I had a problem with the zipper on my first jacket but took it back to cycle gear and they swapped it out for me. Bilt only has a 5 year guarantee thing but it was my first jacket so I figured I wouldn't have it forever.

Anywho, I like my Bilt jacket. It looks very nice too. No stupid badges of companies advertisement. Just a clean looking jacket.

I realize black is not a great color choice for safety gear but I ride as if nobody can see me anyways. I am INVISIBLE! I know bright colored gear is supposed to make you more visible but if the driver of that cage is on the cell phone and not paying attention to what they are doing I doubt your gear color will save you. Although I am sure it has before. But I like the black gear. But hey that's just me.

I would still like to get a top name all leather jacket though. I will probably get a Dainese when I do. I love my Dainese Torque Out boots. http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ots/web1001654 So might as well get a matching jacket. Haha

Old April 19th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #13
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Well I have had a great experience with the only Bilt jacket I own. And only motorcycle jacket I own. I have the Bilt Air Demon jacket. http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ket/web1001038 It is very nice. I wouldn't wear any other mesh jacket. This one is great because it has leather in the high impact areas if you go down. And I have gone down in it. Although I was only on the concrete for a split second then ended up in the grass/dirt but I didn't have a single bruise on my upper body. I think the armor in the jacket saved me some pain. My jeans didn't. I had quite a few bruises on my legs.http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ots/web1001654 So might as well get a matching jacket. Haha
If you don't mind me asking, how's the jacket holding up still? I'm thinking about getting one based on the cheap price but am somewhat skeptical.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Jono

@Mocha Man It is still as nice as the day I got it. It really is a nice jacket for the price. I don't think there is a better deal to be had. I love mine! Go try it on and see if it is for you.