ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 12th, 2016, 03:52 AM   #1
madlf_08
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mario

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r ninja

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (multiple issues)

Hi guys,

So I have a few issues going on. I will number them so that you can tell me which issue you are responding to.

1) I allowed my bike to sit with gas and now it needs cleaning. Besides thoroughly cleaning my carbs, what else is it recommended. Please list any products recommended for this process.

2) I ended up removing my air filter box and replaced it with a K&N pod, but I have not been able to find anything that guides me with how the hoses should now be routed. I've seen videos where small filters are placed above the crankcase and other locations, but they are all very brief and hard to see how exactly it was done. Didn't realize putting pods would change things so much. (Stock air filter box was torn apart so I won't be going back to it either)

3) Due to the pod modification, what are the recommended changes to the carbs that I should make? I am at sea level, FYI. I've seen a few at other forums, so this I can probably play with and figure out.

4) my last mechanic said one of my jet needles may be bent because it won't close all the way at times and the carbs leak gas into the pod. I am starting to wonder if he put them on backwards because I know the right and left aren't interchangeable. Would this be a symptom of having them backwards?

Any responses are greatly appreciated. I work out of town a lot so this is taking me a while to finish since I can only do a little at a time.
madlf_08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2016, 04:50 AM   #2
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I can only help out with numbers 1 and 3 as I have never had pod filters or a bent jet.

In response to #1) drain your tank and check the pictock for blockage, you already mentioned cleaning the carbs *MAKE SURE YOU DONT TEAR THE DIAPHRAGMS WHEN CLEANING YOUR CARBS* they are expensive to replace and a pain to try and fix (ask me how I know).

For #3 you may need a jet kit. With the pods your bike is pulling in more air so a jet kit with bigger needles will allow for a little more fuel and stop it from running lean.

Hope my .02 helps!
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2016, 08:31 AM   #3
madlf_08
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mario

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r ninja

Thanks Lazarus...now that you mention the diaphragms...I bet the reason why that jet needle doesn't come down all the time is because the mechanic probably pinched it. I saw how he was handling them and I personally didn't like it. He even stripped one of my screws on to the cap. I'll personally inspect it myself for damage.
madlf_08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Happy to help. Sorry to hear the mechanic stripped a screw and such. Should you find the diaphraghm damaged/pinched/slightly torn I had some personal success with a small tube of gorilla glue that had a blue cap. Can't remember the name of it but I believe the diaphragms are nitrile rubber and the repairing agent has to have polyurethane and a bunch of other chemicals to flex with the diaphragm

I may be able to find the link to the thread I read if a torn diaphragm happens to be one of your issues.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2016, 07:24 PM   #5
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

I'd recommend giving the carbs a good cleaning, then installing a jet kit. When you remove the airbox you need a crank case breather, besides jetting it, that should be it.