ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1999 "1000cc" ZX9R

20 Things I've Realized in my First 2000 miles

Went on a 4 hour ride this morning and this popped into my head.

What I've learned:

1. I hate gravel, it ruins all the best curves.
2. I have grown a 6th sense for gravel and unconciously avoid it even in my car.
3. 90% of cagers are courteous, it's the 10% that aren't that make me have to be wary of everyone.
4. My favorite ride is one that has no destination.
5. Stupid non-self-cancelling turn signals.
6. I am incredibly wave-happy and wave to ALMOST everything on 2 wheels.
7. I refuse to wave to mopeds and bicyclists.
8. I have ridden 20 miles to a good look-out spot, to have a cigarette, just to ride back when I'm done.
9. My first time riding on the road, 45 mph felt incredibly fast. Now it feels kinda slow.
10. I have a natural tendency to look through the curves.
11. Cagers annoy me the most when I am stopped and they are talking to me.
12. I hate when people tell me I am guaranteed to crash, just because they did. Just because you took a blind curve at 130 and crashed, doesn't mean I am going to crash going 60 and following most traffic laws.
13. I am overly cautious of gravel and slow down if I see a single stone.
14. Semi trucks don't scare me nearly as much as old women and teen girls on cell phones do.
15. I laugh everytime I squeeze $10 into my tank and the guy next to me is still going strong at $100.
16. I smell EVERYTHING when I am riding.
17. I will always wear my helmet, but I wish there were a safe way to ride without wearing ANYTHING else.
18. I am glad they lifted the helmet law, so I can wear one by choice. Though, the people who ride without one actually look unintelligient.
19. Rain doesn't bother me when i am riding. However, it does when I get to where I'm going and I am soaking wet.
20. The world is much prettier and alot more fun on the back of a motorcycle.

Last futzed with by Sigma.40; May 8th, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Sigma.40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #2
bad_bwoy007
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja SE 250R "Knight Rider"

Good Deal!

I wish i could even go on a 45 minute ride. I'm stuck breaking this thing in and I'm only at 50 miles!

Since becoming a rider, I have become extra cautious of motorcyclist around me as I am now one of them.

LOL, 45 MPH definitely felt fast the first time!
bad_bwoy007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_bwoy007 View Post
Good Deal!

I wish i could even go on a 45 minute ride. I'm stuck breaking this thing in and I'm only at 50 miles!

Since becoming a rider, I have become extra cautious of motorcyclist around me as I am now one of them.

LOL, 45 MPH definitely felt fast the first time!
Every Tuesday, my wife works from 8a-3p and my daughters in school, so since I have the day off, I ride for 4-6 hours. Sometimes I go out of town, sometimes I stay around the area.

-What better way to break it in than go on a long ride? Or are there limitations to the amount of time you can ride it during the break in period?

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #4
nst416
A Ninja Riding Ninja

Name: Kan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I wish I had more time to ride, besides just going to work and back.
nst416 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma.40 View Post
Went on a 4 hour ride this morning and this popped into my head.

What I've learned:

1. I hate gravel, it ruins all the best curves.
2. I have grown a 6th sense for gravel and unconciously avoid it even in my car.
3. 90% of cagers are courteous, it's the 10% that aren't that make me have to be wary of everyone.
4. My favorite ride is one that has no destination.
6. I am incredibly wave-happy and wave to ALMOST everything on 2 wheels.
7. I refuse to wave to mopeds and bicyclists.
8. I have ridden 20 miles to a good look-out spot, to have a cigarette, just to ride back when I'm done.
9. My first time riding on the road, 45 mph felt incredibly fast. Now it feels kinda slow.
10. I have a natural tendency to look through the curves.
11. Cagers annoy me the most when I am stopped and they are talking to me.
12. I hate when people tell me I am guaranteed to crash, just because they did. Just because you took a blind curve at 130 and crashed, doesn't mean I am going to crash going 60 and following most traffic laws.
13. I am overly cautious of gravel and slow down if I see a single stone.
14. Semi trucks don't scare me. However, old women and teen girls on cell phones do.
15. I laugh everytime I squeeze $10 into my tank and the guy next to me is still going strong at $100.
16. I smell EVERYTHING when I am riding.
17. I will always wear my helmet, but I wish there were a safe way to ride without wearing ANYTHING else.
18. I am glad they lifted the helmet law, so I can wear one by choice. Though, the people who ride without one actually look unintelligient.
19. Rain doesn't bother me when i am riding. However, it does when I get to where I'm going and I am soaking wet.
20. The world is much prettier and alot more fun on the back of a motorcycle.

I find myself being more cautious of other drivers even when I'm in my cage! And I find myself counter steering in my car now LOL (Well briefly anyways)
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
My BMW's have this. Not a fan. On the older RT, it shuts off too early, so I find myself hitting the turn signal button 2 or 3 times for every single turn. Annoying. They lengthened the time on my newer bike, but I'd still prefer a simple switch that I was in control of. It's part of the motorcyclist's OCD behavior to always tap the signal cancel button every few minutes out of habit anyway.

Quote:
14. Semi trucks don't scare me. However, old women and teen girls on cell phones do.
The first truck you are near when the tire explodes and sends the separated tread studded with sharp metal in your direction, will change your apprehension level around them for life. Don't ride behind them for any length of time. Don't ride next to them for any length of time.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The first truck you are near when the tire explodes and sends the separated tread studded with sharp metal in your direction, will change your apprehension level around them for life. Don't ride behind them for any length of time. Don't ride next to them for any length of time.
I could see that not being very pleasant. Had it happen when I was in my car a few years ago. Couldn't imagine it on a bike. I don't necessarily spend much time near them, I just am not as nervous around them as I am around old women. Tire explosions aside, I find I can predict what a semi is going to do far better than I can predict what the women in the Crown Vic or girl in the Jeep is going to do.

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Friend of mine at work on his harley was stopped at a light and when the light changed he was getting ready to move anda truck blasted by him in the next lane. He said if that foor was down the truck was so close it would have rolled over it and the truck was going so fast the suction from it nearly pulled him and his bike under the truck, meaning the truck knew the light was gonna change before he got there and never slowed down. He came to work that day white as a ghost stating he jumped onto the truckers cab door and was about to beat the hell out of him till the thoughts of jail took over his mind. And this was a big bad harley dude too.... LOL

Edit: Trust me be mindful of trucks because they are not mindful of you, They can barely see cars much less motorcycles!
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
14. Semi trucks don't scare me nearly as much as old women and teen girls on cell phones do.
corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1000 View Post
Friend of mine at work on his harley was stopped at a light and when the light changed he was getting ready to move anda truck blasted by him in the next lane. He said if that foor was down the truck was so close it would have rolled over it and the truck was going so fast the suction from it nearly pulled him and his bike under the truck, meaning the truck knew the light was gonna change before he got there and never slowed down. He came to work that day white as a ghost stating he jumped onto the truckers cab door and was about to beat the hell out of him till the thoughts of jail took over his mind. And this was a big bad harley dude too.... LOL

Edit: Trust me be mindful of trucks because they are not mindful of you, They can barely see cars much less motorcycles!
I try to stay as far to the opposite side of the opposite lane. Gives me room to play with and makes windblasts not as bad.

-Also, I am referring to slower moving 18 wheelers. Box trucks are another issue.

Old May 8th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #10
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Yeah, gravel scares the living daylights out of me too... I live pretty close to the mountains, about 30miles away, with some pretty awesome twisties... The only thing that keeps me from really enjoying them(apart from my lack of experience) is the huge amount of gravel at most of the turns... Not to mention the bad roads...

Old May 8th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
ur gna crash

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #12
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
ur gna crash

Maybe, maybe not.

Old May 8th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #13
Ninja Justin
ninjette.org Ninja :)

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

WOW... Spoken like a true Boss... That was really Awesome. and i agree with ALL of those things. The ONLY time i have ever dropped my bike, I was at an intersection at a stop sign, and there was LOAD's of gravel... well, i was a noob in every sense and was like "gravel??" "PFFT!" cause Im used to cars.. and well, you get the picture. anyways, i am scared to death of gravel now xD dude... 45mph on my bike the first time... i was like "WTF!!!" i was waaayyy scared, now, after going 100mph on my Ninjette, I hate being in cars, cause they feel extremely slowww even when they are at high speeds, (same on the bike, i cant stand being under 65-70 mph now) Anyways, very good post, could not agree more. There is wisdom in this thread.

The Anchorage Ninja's
Ninja Justin is offline   Reply With Quote