ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 18th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #121
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by egutierrez90 View Post
Hmm yea, looks good, yea i installed the jet in the right spot, but the reason why i couldn't screw the bottom cap back on was because the jets i ordered were SUPER long, so they stuck outward ridiculously..so when it came time to screw the cap back on the main jet kept the cap from closing..there was like 1/3 gap between the carbs and the cap o_0 so I just put everything back and am now just gonna order from the website recommended by Kkim..
a few questions..did your bike go out of sync? did you re-sync it?
and do you have an aftermarket f/s or s/o exhaust?
I have a full aftermarket exhaust. I did'nt sync the carbs, mainly because I was lazy. lol. I just backed out the mixture screws 2.5 out. The bike runs great. Starts up perfect, warms up fast, no "dead" spots in the rpm range. Also, my carbs are shimmed with 3 washers.

Jets are us is a good website. it only took 3 days for the jet to come in. Can you retrun your jets and get you money back? Did they just send you the wrong ones for a differnt bike?
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #122
egutierrez90
Eddie

Name: Eduardo

Motorcycle(s): None.

oh alright sounds good, yea I have no idea what went wrong with the ones i ordered, did manage to get my money back anyways xP so no problem there..
i think imma go ahead and order some 110's from jets r us..
Idk if what they gave me was for a different bike or even a different vehicle..but i got my refund so I'm happy and willing to give it another try, haha
hey so i was looking at your ninjette (through your pics) and noticed you have that tube hanging around, you just leaving it hanging around?

I didn't know what to do with it in the beginning..its fine if you just leave it open like that?
egutierrez90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #123
scotty

That is part of the Kleen Air System. That was one of the things I took out during the filrer install mess. I would recomend you to take it out also if you have a full exhaust. Here is a link to the removal of it. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9948
Did you order the jets yet??

Old October 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #124
scotty

Just to note, that line connected to the top of the OEM airbox just for an idea of where it went to if you did'nt already.

Old October 18th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #125
egutierrez90
Eddie

I haven't had the time to..I have to work in a bit anyway xP I probably will some time this weekend..its raining over here so I don't need to change it right away..haha, just sitting in my garage, and oh see well thats why I've decided to keep my kleen air system on, because I still have the stock exhaust on..no aftermarkets parts on my exhaust yet..>_<

Old October 18th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #126
scotty

Got cha, yeah, i'd leave it hanging their out of the way. Atleast that is what I did for a day. You can always take it off even though you have the stock exhaust on, but I think someone said that COULD mess up the cat on the exhaust.?. I feel you on the rain too. It's raining here also. =(

Old October 20th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #127
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE, 2007 Daytona 675

I am thinking about doing this for my bike, but what is the runner? Is it the breather? Or is it something else, after looking at so many pictures for so long I just end up getting confused. And I apologize because I'm not reading everyones responses word for word.

Last futzed with by gophurr; October 24th, 2010 at 12:02 AM.
gophurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 07:38 PM   #128
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

the runner is the rubber tube that is fixed to the original air filter which takes the air to the carbs, you can take it off (kinda like the snorkel) and you use that to extend the K&N filter away from the carb. in my case i needed it cos the filter was rubbing on a metal stub of the bike frame, but i think if you use the 0990 type filter it doesn't have that problem, and you can fix the filter directly to the carbs.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:10 PM   #129
egutierrez90
Eddie

Just to update..I ordered my main jets 110 from jets r us yesterday...
Can't wait for them to come!! XP

Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:27 PM   #130
scotty

Quote:
Good! Keep us posted on how it turns out!

Old October 24th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #131
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE, 2007 Daytona 675

What are my options for different breathers I can get that will fit directly on?
gophurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #132
scotty

Quote:
So... Did you install them? They fit rite?

Old November 10th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #133
egutierrez90
Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
So... Did you install them? They fit rite?
Oh my gosh!!! I totally forgot to update!!! I had gotten them, installed..and now my ninjette runs smoothly =]

VERY good all in all =D

perfect fit and i got my refund, so all is well..
I'm actually working on a DIY for a fender eliminator that I haven't found up yet..so lets see how my first DIY goes..=]

Old November 14th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #134
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I installed my filter the other day.

Note 1: You can remove the airbox from the top if you destroy it :P .

Note 2: You will have about 5HP without jetting the bike if you install a pod filter.

I connected mine directly to the carb. I didn't realize until after the pic that I had bent some of the fins wrestling it onto the carb, but Ive just about straitened them out. I secured with zip ties around each runner, to the frame on their respective sides, and it seemed to help a lot with the vibration:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake_zipties.jpg (120.0 KB, 23 views)

Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:54 PM   #135
wayanlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
I secured with zip ties around each runner, to the frame on their respective sides, and it seemed to help a lot with the vibration:
make sure you don't tighten them too much, since the carbs do need some free movement. the engine vibrates, and i think that if its tightened too much to the frame, it doesn't let the carbs vibrate along with the engine as well.

at least that's what I've noticed, and also been told.

cheers~

Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:42 PM   #136
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

How easy is is to clean these filters compared to the flat K&N slide in ones that require their special K&N spray on cleaner. Can they be washed down with Dawn detergent and dried overnight like the stock foam ones? If not, is there an alternative to the proprietery K&N spray on? What about oiling? Can they be oiled with regular motor oil?
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #137
Choter
ninjette.org member

Name: Haddie

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

What size inner diameter do I need for the breather please if anyone can let me know I want to have all the parts on hand for when I remove the airbox.
Choter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #138
cbowman78
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choter View Post
What size inner diameter do I need for the breather please if anyone can let me know I want to have all the parts on hand for when I remove the airbox.

Looking for that answer as well...
cbowman78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #139
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbowman78 View Post
The breather for the crankcase? I believe it is 5/8". I'm pretty sure mine was 1/2" and I still had to fight it a bit to get it on.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #140
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbowman78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
The breather for the crankcase? I believe it is 5/8". I'm pretty sure mine was 1/2" and I still had to fight it a bit to get it on.
I remember asking myself, then the forum the same question when I pulled my airbox a while back. It's post 56 in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
In the OP I see Vex mentions needing/remembering late that the gear box needed a breather when pulling the box. Anyone happen to save the specs for the size of that tube (or other important measurements) so I can get a breather ahead of time? Likely gonna end up doing this in noche or another friend's garage, so the fewer trips I have to make to the auto parts store the better. Thanks!
Then I went out and measured it, post 58, this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
For reference, to connect to the end of the gearbox breather tube, it's 10mm inner diameter, 15mm outer. To connect directly to the gearbox nipple and bypass that looping tube, the OD is 22mm. I wound up just getting a double-male vacuum tube connector to bridge between the 10mm and my 12mm inner diameter cheapie breather.
Forgot I'd done that though, so went out in the rain a few minutes ago and measured it again:

There's a nipple coming off the top of the crankcase. The outer diameter on this is 16mm, thus you'll need that as the inner if you want to attach a breather directly to the top.

However, there's a tapered, bent hose that comes off the top of the crankcase to attach to the bottom of the airbox. Many people, myself included, simply attached a filter on the end of this hose. The inner diameter of the small end of the hose is 9-10mm, outer is about 15mm. The end that joins to the crankcase is 16-17mm on the inside, 22mm outside.

I'd be happy to take a picture of my setup if you want it, but it looks identical to the OP's in his second post, under the caption "ooh shiny"

Old December 15th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #141
Choter
ninjette.org member

Name: Haddie

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

Thanks for the replies 5/8 breather fit perfect the exact part i used was uni filter up-104
Posted via Mobile Device
Choter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:48 PM   #142
drvr5
ninjette.org member

Name: Carl

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Green+Black Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
How easy is is to clean these filters compared to the flat K&N slide in ones that require their special K&N spray on cleaner. Can they be washed down with Dawn detergent and dried overnight like the stock foam ones? If not, is there an alternative to the proprietery K&N spray on? What about oiling? Can they be oiled with regular motor oil?
All K&N filters use the same filter media; they all require the same cleaning and oiling. The detergent *should* work, but not as quickly and easily as the purpose made cleaner. I have heard of people using motor oil, but I wouldn't.

I use No Toil oil and cleaner. K&N oil is petroleum based, so any time you get reversion from the carbs (don't know if our bikes do) it will wash out. No Toil has a base that is partially derived from unicorn smiles, and absolutely will not come out without using their proprietary cleaner. That is also the only downside of No Toil that I've found- it is impossible to get off of anything it comes in contact with unless you use their cleaner. Fingers, paint, frames, polished surfaces, plastic, rubber- it just sticks. A bottle of cleaner (powder) would last well over 1,000,000 miles. A can of oil (aerosol) should last 100,000 miles. I find that the $30 for a top of the line product that will last the life of the bike... well worth it.
http://www.coastfab.com/php/proddetail.php?prod=1187
http://www.coastfab.com/php/proddetail.php?prod=1188

edit: K&N recharge kits work great, and are readily available in any parts store- but I don't mind plugging a product that I feel is better
drvr5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM   #143
forbitel
ninjette.org member

Name: telecom

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

VEX, neat idea of removing the air box. I am currently working on a EFI conversion for my 250r, and since the EFI will take care of the proper A/F ratio i believe increasing the air flow with this pods will end up in a increased HP without having to worry about getting the jetting right. I will be taking the bike apart to remove the carbs and to install the EFI kit, so I was thinking that i might as well remove the Air Box while I'm there. But I have few questions, does anyone had any problems with the pods, getting dirty fast (or water ingress) since there is no box? how does this mod compares to removing the snorkel only, have anyone compare both intake mods?
forbitel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM   #144
kkim

my pods stay pretty clean. no problems with water, either. with the side panels in place, it seems to form a nice shielded area under the seat with the airbox gone.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:46 PM   #145
forbitel
ninjette.org member

Name: telecom

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

have someone tried if the filter K&N will work RC-4350?

Part R-0990 Product Specifications
Product Style: Dual Flange Oval Universal Air Filter
Flange Center to Center: 2.625 in (67 mm)
Flange Inside Diameter: 1.875 in (48 mm)
Flange Length: 0.625 in (16 mm)
Flange Type: Offset
Height: 3 in (76 mm)
Outside Length: 6.125 in (156 mm)
Outside Width: 3.875 in (98 mm)
Top Style: Rubber
Top Material/Finish: None
Filter Material: Cotton Gauze
Flanges: 2
Base Outside Length: 6.125 in (156 mm)
Base Outside Width: 3.875 in (98 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.57 oz (17 ml)
Flange Offset: 0.375 in (10 mm)
Footnote 1: Offset Is Horizontal
Top Outside Length: 6.125 in (156 mm)
Top Outside Width: 3.875 in (98 mm)
Weight: 1 lb (0.5 kg)
Product Box Length: 4.63 in (117 mm)
Product Box Width: 4.63 in (117 mm)
Product Box Height: 7.25 in (184 mm)

Part RC-4350 Product Specifications
Product Style: Dual Flange Oval Universal Air Filter
Flange Center to Center: 2.625 in (67 mm)
Flange Inside Diameter: 2 in (51 mm)
Flange Length: 0.625 in (16 mm)
Flange Type: Offset
Height: 3.25 in (83 mm)
Outside Length: 6.25 in (159 mm)
Outside Width: 4 in (102 mm)
Top Style: Metal
Top Material/Finish: Chrome
Filter Material: Cotton Gauze
Flanges: 2
Base Outside Length: 6.25 in (159 mm)
Base Outside Width: 4 in (102 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.3 oz (9 ml)
Flange Offset: 0.25 in (6 mm)
Footnote 1: Offset Is Vertical
Top Outside Length: 6.25 in (159 mm)
Top Outside Width: 4 in (102 mm)
Weight: 1.2 lb (0.5 kg)
Product Box Length: 4.63 in (117 mm)
Product Box Width: 4.63 in (117 mm)
Product Box Height: 7.25 in (184 mm)
forbitel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #146
Suave
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
I **** you not there's 8 or so screws all around the air box attaching this guy in.
Indeed. The screw on the bottom and closest to the tail-end of the bike made last night hell. I ended up taking a jigsaw to it and cutting the screw out. I have no idea how anyone got to it, no matter how much I twisted or yanked that airbox, that screw was unscrewable O.o

But good diy, im new to bikes and I would have known the airbox from the carbs lol this is the first thing ive ever worked on with carbs too

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #147
wayanlam

removing the rear wheel and the rear brake reserve allows you to remove the stock air box with much much more ease!

they did have to get it in there in the 1st place. although they might have done that before mounting the engine, but its also possible that they do it from the rear before the wheel, fender, etc were all in place.

i was at the verge of removing the wheel when i finally managed to take the two halves apart to get the darn thing out! but managed the hard way, lol

if i had to do it again, i would definitely try taking it out from the back, hehe

Old July 16th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #148
Suave
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
removing the rear wheel and the rear brake reserve allows you to remove the stock air box with much much more ease!

they did have to get it in there in the 1st place. although they might have done that before mounting the engine, but its also possible that they do it from the rear before the wheel, fender, etc were all in place.

i was at the verge of removing the wheel when i finally managed to take the two halves apart to get the darn thing out! but managed the hard way, lol

if i had to do it again, i would definitely try taking it out from the back, hehe

I think they built the bike around the airbox

Old July 17th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #149
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

when i removed my box it wasn't too bad. i just followed vex's diy guide. triple checked to make sure that all the screws in the box were removed. it helps to have a JIS screw driver. i managed to separate the box into 2, then needed to dislodge the metal screen inside the airbox. once that was done the box completely separated in two and was able to remove each out thru the top separately. the factory manual says you should remove the rear wheel and then pull the box out thru the back.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #150
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Is it illegal to remove the air box? I'm not sure if that's what were talking about, but I was reading my manual yesterday and came across something on page 73 that said its illegal to tamper with the emissions system including removing the air box. Can someone clarify for me? I'm just a little confused and this maybe not even be relevant but please don't hate.

Old July 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #151
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
Is it illegal to remove the air box? I'm not sure if that's what were talking about, but I was reading my manual yesterday and came across something on page 73 that said its illegal to tamper with the emissions system including removing the air box. Can someone clarify for me? I'm just a little confused and this maybe not even be relevant but please don't hate.
Yes.

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM   #152
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

My dad hates extra loud things.... particularly HDs that set off car alarms and stop your heart (I can hardly blame him). He asked a local LEO he met at Starbucks about the loud motorcycles, and they shrugged it off, saying they won't do anything about it. I assume this depends where you are.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #153
boytoy101
ninjette.org member

Name: jayvee

Motorcycle(s): ninja250r 2009model

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
if you yank the airbox, I don't now anyone who has done so that is still using the stock airbox. You would need to change the main jets. (costs about $5 each) I'd suggest using 110 Keihins to start and take plug readings to figure out if you need to go up or down from there.

that should keep you really busy.

if you buy a jet kit, be sure to get one made for no airbox.
HELLO KIM JUST A QUESTION???? I HAVE REMOVE MY KLEEN AIR INTAKE AND I HAVE REJET AND HAS A FULL EXHAUST KnN FILTERS AND HAS A BRT RACING CDI NON PROGAMABLE...IS THIS REMOVING THE AIR BOX WILL REALLY HELP OR WHAT BENEFITS MY BIKE WILL GET IN THIS MOD AND CAN U SEND ME A LINK WHERE I CAN PURCHASE THIS KIT...thank u very much
boytoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:07 AM   #154
ejlover
ninjette.org member

Name: Ugur

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2011

How can it be applied to an FI ninja (2011)? I think that there will be only 1 intake hole for the engine at the airfilter box right? So I'll need a different filter.

Anyone tried it on a FI model? Which filter should I use?
ejlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #155
Tiane
ninjette.org member

Name: Tiane

Motorcycle(s): NINJA300

^^^ Interested on the same... can I use a pod filter on a 250 FI?
Tiane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #156
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiane View Post
^^^ Interested on the same... can I use a pod filter on a 250 FI?
Yes but you need a power commander to adjust the amount of fuel delivered to the engine. Simply modifying the stock intake will cause your bike to run far too lean
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #157
wayanlam

juice box needed there, so you can adjust the ammount of fuel that the EFI pumps into the engine.

there was a thread somewhere a while back with pictures and general Butt-dyno results from someone playing around with the juice box on their Euro EFI model.

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #158
Tiane
ninjette.org member

Name: Tiane

Motorcycle(s): NINJA300

Yes, I got the Bazzaz with autotuner ready to install, just doing some research at what else can I do to improve the power on the FI... also looking at the factory pro Ignition Advance Kit, and removing the Kleen air system.
Thanks
Tiane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #159
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiane View Post
Yes, I got the Bazzaz with autotuner ready to install, just doing some research at what else can I do to improve the power on the FI... also looking at the factory pro Ignition Advance Kit, and removing the Kleen air system.
Thanks
Full area p race exhaust!

http://areapnolimits.com/products/Sl...-Race-2008.php
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #160
thomason2wheels
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): dl650

extreme fiddle factor on this mod....

I dont think i want to disassemble the whole bloody bike just to dump the airbox.....too much work and even after all that, its still just a 250... :-D
thomason2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote