Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Group Rides and Local Events

Notices

Old June 20th, 2018, 12:17 PM   #1
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

2018 Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge , Hollister CA 7/6/208

Hi, you are invited to ride along or compete in the next Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge . It will be interesting and a lot of fun.

The Vetter/Corbin Motorcycle Fuel Economy Competition

Friday, July 6, 2018

The 2018 Fuel Economy Run will be about 60 miles each way, from the Hollister Corbin Factory to King City and back.

Rider's Meeting

9:00AM: Meet at the Corbin Factory located at 2350 Technology Pkwy, Hollister, California, Ca. 95023

Gas Motorcycles show up with a full tank of gas from Chevron Gas Station, Highway 25 and San Felipe Road.

Electric motorcycles are to come with batteries charged.
Stock motorcycles are welcomed to ride too.

This is also the time for:
Vehicle inspection
Paper bag testing
Misc questions and answers

Time to begin

10:00AM: Follow the pace vehicle to King City... Mostly Route 25.
There will be one rest stop along the way.

12:00 noon: Lunch break in King City. Gas motorcycles can
top off their gas tanks and turn in gas receipts. Electric motorcycles can charge their batteries. Take a photo of energy used and turn in receipts

If there are to many electric motorcycles to charge at King City, they may have to charge and depart alternatively.

Time to return

1:30PM: Follow pace vehicle back to Hollister.

3:00PM: Arrive and finish in Hollister.

End of the Challenge

Gas powered motorcycles must stop at the Chevron Gas Station near the Corbin Factory and refill with the same kind of gas they ran with trip. Electric motorcycles can charge at the Corbin Factory or at a Charge Point. Again, save and submit a picture of the Charge Point screen. Receipts are to be signed by the rider and be collected by the leader

The fuel cost will determine the winner.

We thank you for doing your part in determining our future

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 21st, 2018, 06:45 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Best of luck Vic!

Got that CBR250 all set-up for some big numbers?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Good luck

Old June 22nd, 2018, 09:28 AM   #4
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

@jvk45 , @Racer x,

Thanks !

It will be hard to win overall against the electric motos since the price of gasoline is high but we'll see what happens. I'm not sure my how my new CBR250r based streamliner will perform as the Hollister Challenge will probably be its first run in fully streamlined configuration. 118mpg was its best so far semi-streamlined. Alan Smith will be running his streamliner ( best of 186mpg) so it won't be a cakewalk. We'll see what happens

Old June 22nd, 2018, 10:53 AM   #5
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
What’s the ave cruising speed of these runs?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2018, 07:09 AM   #6
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
What’s the ave cruising speed of these runs?
It depends on the course but for this Hollister to King City and back it should be around 50-60 mph. I think there are only a few freeway miles.

Are you thinking about joining us for this ride? it would be great to meet you.

Old June 23rd, 2018, 02:36 PM   #7
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Awesome event!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2018, 10:21 PM   #8
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
It depends on the course but for this Hollister to King City and back it should be around 50-60 mph. I think there are only a few freeway miles.

Are you thinking about joining us for this ride? it would be great to meet you.

Certainly is different kind of technical challenge! My wife's CB125T already gets about 100mpg, and with fairings & aero-mods, it would be contender! Too late for this year as I'm already signed up for races that weekend at Thunderhill. But definitely possibility for next year!

I really like recumbent seating position... giving me some ideas... hmmm

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2018, 12:41 PM   #9
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Are there different classes of bikes. Like electric stock production or modified? My Genuine 170i can get 100 mpg if I don’t ride around full throttle all the time.

Old June 25th, 2018, 04:13 PM   #10
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Good luck Vic

Old June 26th, 2018, 09:58 PM   #11
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Are there different classes of bikes. Like electric stock production or modified? My Genuine 170i can get 100 mpg if I don’t ride around full throttle all the time.
There are 3 classes : conventional fuel ( gasoline and diesel) , unconventional fuel ( biodiesel, natural gas, propane, etc.) and electric powered.

Old June 27th, 2018, 04:45 AM   #12
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Thanks that makes sense. It would be interesting to have a production class . Just to see what a vehicle can do that anyone can just purchase and ride. That might spur manufactures to work at it

Old June 27th, 2018, 09:38 AM   #13
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Quote:

Old June 27th, 2018, 10:35 AM   #14
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Good luck Vic
Thank you !

Old June 30th, 2018, 03:42 PM   #15
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Quote:
Thanks that makes sense. It would be interesting to have a production class . Just to see what a vehicle can do that anyone can just purchase and ride. That might spur manufactures to work at it
At all the Challenges the majority of the motos ridden are conventional motos. While most of them don't meet the standards to be qualified for the overall win, they do ride with the official competitors and we collect and post all their results ( mpg and Cents/mile ) at all Challenges. Over the years we have seen some outstanding performances on stock or minimally modified motos. I recall a NC700 getting 100 mpg a few years ago. It would be great to have the moto manufacturers and other moto related vendors involved in the Vetter Challenges.

Old July 16th, 2018, 02:17 PM   #16
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Sorry for the delay in writing this up.

I furiously worked to get my CBR250r ready for the Hollister Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge. Fortunately mounting the fiberglass nose and the tailsection went very smoothly. I did have to relocate the radiator to the front of the nose by installing longer hoses. Turn signals and tail and brake lights were moved and rewired. The tailsection framework was given to by Jeff Meskey who did a great job in putting it together. I only had to make one more mounting bracket to get it strongly attached to the main frame. I skinned the tailsection with coroplast sides and the rounded top with treated paper ( all recycled election signs). I reused my old side panels to finish off the full streamlining.

I only did a few short rides to test the new bodywork, one of them to display the bike at a carshow in Fremont. Everything seemed to work well except the seat was not very comfortable. Then Thursday arrived and Alan advised me that his streamliner had suffered an engine problem on his way down to the Vetter ranch. I agreed to meet him at this home after his streamliner was towed so we could ride down together. I met Alan at his home where he prepped his partially streamlined Ninja EX250r for the ride. I loaded a Zero bellypan that Morgan Vetter had ordered and Alan was asked to bring. Then we rode through the hot , congested late afternoon traffic of the Silicon Valley down to Carmel and the Vetter ranch. Thank goodness for lanesplitting.
Friday morning Alan and I rode to the Corbin factory after topping off the tanks. There we awaited the other contestants. We found we would be the only Vetter Challenge qualified competitors ( able to carry 4 fully loaded sacks of groceries). All the other 4 riders were on Zero electric motos. Later one of the Zero dropped out. It’s too bad more people weren’t able to attend and ride with us. Craig Vetter led our rider’s meeting and we departed shortly for the hot and somewhat windy ride to King City from Hollister. The course was all 2 lane backroads with lots of turns and elevation changes. Once we left the outskirts of Hollister it was virtually all wilderness.
We reached King City for our lunch/ electric recharge spot after about 56 miles. The only issues during the out leg was 2 of the Zeros falling back but then recovering and resuming the pace. We enjoyed a cool, refreshing break after about an hour and began the ride back to Hollister in the afternoon heat. One of the Zero dropped out after lunch and began his return trip home to SO Cal. On the return trip the only significant issues were some elevated battery temperatures on the 2 remaining Zeros. Alan and I topped off our tanks and we returned to the Corbin factory.

The results:
The fuel economy course was 133 miles. Top posted speed limit was 55 MPH.

Vic Valdes in a fully streamlined Honda CBR250r used 0.978 gallons @ $3.999 per gallon for 135.991 MPG, 2.9 cents/mile , 4 bag certified

Alan Smith in a stock looking (partially streamlined) Ninja EX250r used 1.218 gallons @ $3.999 per gallon for 109.195 MPG, 3.7 cents/mile. 4 bag certified

Brandon Miller on a stock looking ZERO used 12.6 Kwh, $0.25/Kwh, $3.15, 2.3 cents per mile.

Brian Rice on a ZERO used 14.19 Kwh, $0.25.Kwh, $3.54, 2.6 cents per mile.

Road tax was not factored in for the electric motorcycles this year. None of the ZERO motorcycles could carry the 4-bags of groceries requirement.

So, I won my 4th Vetter Challenge (but without much competition). Alan performed great with a partially streamlined moto that could still meet the 4 bag requirement. The electrics would have won if they could have carried the 4 bags due to the high gasoline prices. I have some more work to do on my CBR to match the results of previous EX250r based streamliner. The Hollister Rally continues to be a greast event with lots of cool motos and cool people. We had a great time despite limited competition. I did get interviewed by a local TV reporter but unfortunately no info on the fuel efficiency benefits of streamlining was included in the broadcast

http://www.ksbw.com/article/bikers-r...3A+New+Content

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.