ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1
rmorse
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bobby

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawi Ninja 250R, 2013 Honda CRF450R, 2008 Honda CRF250R, 2001 Honda XR400

Random questions about the bike - Are these normal?

Ok, so, I have a couple questions about my bike that I'm trying to figure out. Basically, if this stuff is normal for the 250 or if there is an issue.

Bike is a 2008 with 14k miles. I got it several weeks ago, and put on about 750 miles so far. The bike has plenty of mods from the previous owner. One of those being an HMF pipe.

When I get up on it hard, shifting at high RPMs (I've ridden dirt bikes for 18 years) and then drop the throttle, I hear crackling/popping/backfiring from the exhaust. Nothing terribly loud, but still present. Is this normal?

When I hit the throttle or chop the throttle, there is a lot of jerkiness. From my research, this is normal wear and I need to shim the rear. Not really worried about it.

When I'm hitting a turn, the front feels "floaty" and wiggly. A little too floaty for comfort. My buddy has a 2009 250R with less than a thousand miles, and I rode it for about 2 miles. IMMEDIATE noticeable difference. I felt way more comfortable on his than mine. Also, his front shocks seem much stiffer. Would looser shocks cause this floating feeling? Too high/low air pressure? Crappy/worn tires? Go easy on me, I'm still learning street riding lol.

Keeping in line with the front end, the bike has clipons. The PO put these on as well: http://sportisimotorsport.us/index.p...products_id=15 Should I attempt to adjust them? How do I go about doing this?

I'm sure there's more questions that I'm forgetting, but this is a good start. Just trying to get the bike set up to my likings.
rmorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #2
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Are you running the original tires? If they have 14K on them, or are for some reason flat down the middle, this can be the source of your poor handling. You're basically cornering on a narrow ridge when your tires are flat down the middle section. New tires with a rounded center section will feel better in the curves.

My 650R had the original tires on it, & I noticed that I had to fight it to lay it over in a turn. I put on the new tires, and now it lays over like it should.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #3
rmorse
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawi Ninja 250R, 2013 Honda CRF450R, 2008 Honda CRF250R, 2001 Honda XR400

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Are you running the original tires? If they have 14K on them, or are for some reason flat down the middle, this can be the source of your poor handling. You're basically cornering on a narrow ridge when your tires are flat down the middle section. New tires with a rounded center section will feel better in the curves.

My 650R had the original tires on it, & I noticed that I had to fight it to lay it over in a turn. I put on the new tires, and now it lays over like it should.
I have no idea, and I'm actually on travel for this week. My girlfriend is with the bike though; I'll see if she can text me a couple good pictures of the tires.

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #4
trevor_shiggs
ninjette.org member

Name: Canada

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Is the bike lowered at all?

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #5
rmorse
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_shiggs View Post
Is the bike lowered at all?
Stock height.

I talked with my girlfriend; she's going to send a couple shots of the tread in a couple hours.

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Tires / Tire pressure. Once those are sorted, then see if there is still such a noticeable difference. What pressure were you running front/rear?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorse View Post
...The bike has plenty of mods from the previous owner. One of those being an HMF pipe.

When I get up on it hard, shifting at high RPMs (I've ridden dirt bikes for 18 years) and then drop the throttle, I hear crackling/popping/backfiring from the exhaust. Nothing terribly loud, but still present. Is this normal?
yeah thats normal with the aftermarket exhaust if the bike doesnt have a jet kit because of the air to fuel mixture being off... if you take the exhaust off and put the stock one...which i doubt you want to do...it would sound normal again... or you could get a jet kit (Dynojet or Factory Pro) which ever theres more out there but those are the ones i know... it would get rid of that problem for you but you could google and learn more about those or im pretty sure there are some threads on here you could read and find a little out...
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #8
rmorse
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Tires / Tire pressure. Once those are sorted, then see if there is still such a noticeable difference. What pressure were you running front/rear?
Don't know, tbh. I do know that that's bad lol. I'll check when I get home on Friday and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsHYk View Post
yeah thats normal with the aftermarket exhaust if the bike doesnt have a jet kit because of the air to fuel mixture being off... if you take the exhaust off and put the stock one...which i doubt you want to do...it would sound normal again... or you could get a jet kit (Dynojet or Factory Pro) which ever theres more out there but those are the ones i know... it would get rid of that problem for you but you could google and learn more about those or im pretty sure there are some threads on here you could read and find a little out...
I'm pretty confident that the PO had teh bike re-jetted after the exhaust, but good to hear that it's normal.

Old June 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #9
rmorse
ninjette.org guru

Pictures of the front and rear tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0673.jpg (16.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0674.jpg (12.3 KB, 18 views)

Old June 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #10
rmorse
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
What brand and size are those tires?
No clue. I'll ask my girlfriend to look, but I might not get it for awhile.

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #11
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

The front looks fairly normal, but if you'll notice on the rear....the tread depth looks way deeper on the outside than it does down the middle. On a new tire, the tread depth is pretty much equal across the entire tread section, which makes for a good cornering feel & easy leaning. That wide flat area on the tire will make the bike reluctant to lean, and when it does, it's riding on a narrow strip of rubber between the flat area and the round edges, which can make it feel squirrely.

I'd get rid of that rear...you'll likely notice a big change. It's not necessarily dangerous, but it causes bad behavior in turns.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #12
rmorse
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
The front looks fairly normal, but if you'll notice on the rear....the tread depth looks way deeper on the outside than it does down the middle. On a new tire, the tread depth is pretty much equal across the entire tread section, which makes for a good cornering feel & easy leaning. That wide flat area on the tire will make the bike reluctant to lean, and when it does, it's riding on a narrow strip of rubber between the flat area and the round edges, which can make it feel squirrely.

I'd get rid of that rear...you'll likely notice a big change. It's not necessarily dangerous, but it causes bad behavior in turns.
Oh ok. So that might cause the front to feel loose?

I actually have two brand new tires chilling in my shed....I'll throw them on in the next couple weeks or so, and see what happens!

Old June 12th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #13
tmnamba
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Correct me if im wrong but in the picture of the rear tire, are those not wear bars down the center of the tire that are flush with the tread. That would signify they need replaced, I'm thinking youll be much happier with some new tire, or at least a new rear.
Posted via Mobile Device
tmnamba is offline   Reply With Quote