ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 25th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

"Rim wrap" + thin rim tape as an alternative to powder-coating?

I want to get a couple rims powder-coated Kawi Racing/Lime/Bright/Neon/Florescent green but I need to compare alternatives to decide if it's worth the cost. There is a seller on eBay selling "rim wrap" along with various thicknesses of rim tape. The rim wrap just looks like extra thick rim tape and reminds me of rims with polished lips (except colored, of course). Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Nin...sories&vxp=mtr

That's still not enough green for me, so I believe an extra ring or two of green on other concentric areas would help. The problem is, this seller sells them pre-cut for 17" rims, so I think I'd have to get something else with an applicator and other suppliers aren't likely to match perfectly. That doesn't really bother me if one area is for reflective green and the other is just for color.

My real concern will be cleaning. By commuting daily, my wheels always get so filthy that I can't even scrub the haze off with Simple Green or dedicated tire cleaning products.

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 25th, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

J,
S-100 will clean your wheels and not mess up the tape. That is a sharp wheel treatment. Your bike does look sinister. I suspect that it has a bit of a snarl with that can as well. It's all business--the way a sportbike should look.

Old June 25th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
J,
S-100 will clean your wheels and not mess up the tape. That is a sharp wheel treatment. Your bike does look sinister. I suspect that it has a bit of a snarl with that can as well. It's all business--the way a sportbike should look.
Oh, that's not my bike, but it's really similar to the scheme I want. I requested a digital mock-up from @want1sobad long ago:

I'd prefer totally green powder-coated rims, but this "rim wrap" like you saw earlier may have to do.

That said, I'm actually trying this scheme on a pregen because I can't bear to change my Candy Plasma Blue newgen and I think I can use the black/green motif to update the design. For example, a seat cover with a green rider's seat area helps the rest of the banana seat blend with the black body work. The windscreen/headlight design can be updated by painting right over the windscreen and making a green outline, like this:

Old July 21st, 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

did you get the rim wrap yet? i would love to see how it looks and how hard it is to put on.

Old July 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
did you get the rim wrap yet? i would love to see how it looks and how hard it is to put on.
Nope. Never figured out which way I was going to go because the local powdercoaters' website contact form wasn't working, they never called me back when I left a voicemail, they never responded to my emails, and they were closed when I stopped by on my last day off. I may just go ahead and order these.

Old July 21st, 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Check out plasti-dip...they just put out a few new colors. It goes on matte, though you can get a glossifier to make it shiny if you choose to. Also, washing it won't make it peel up.

http://www.dipyourcar.com./pages.php?pageid=9
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #7
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

what ever you do keep us posted please, im sanding down my ninja atm getting ready for a gun metal grey paint job with green accents, and i was thinking about doing the rim wrap thingy.