ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #1
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

Anyone in the North East ride year round?

My father typically rides during "the season" which consists of May to early September. Other than that, he packs up the bike in the shed. I would like to basically ride whenever it isn't the dead of winter and snowing or raining that week. How feasable is this?
dimeified is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #2
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Do they use salt on the roads in the winter where you're located? If so i wouldn't ride cause i would be afraid of the damage salt may cause on certain parts of my bike even on nice beautiful days.

Old July 15th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #3
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

very true i didnt think of that. thanks
dimeified is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Xuracing
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Cbr 600RR Cbr600F4i

I do. But in the winter months less. I whip out the heavy leather jackets. New jersey ( where i am really from) varies from time to time. Some years it wont snow. Some years we will get 6 ft. So its really variating. But i like to take the bike out whenever i can
Xuracing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #5
liltenatattoo
ninjette.org member

Name: Tena

Motorcycle(s): 2008 blue 250r "KameSane"

as long as there is no snow, i ride year round. my limit is usually 40degrees and under, i will stay home, lol.
liltenatattoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #6
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I've ridden at 31, but the tires didn't have much grip at all, and now I'm with Tena - my cut off is 40+ because of the tires. I also won't ride unless there have been several weeks without snow and or salt/gravel being thrown

Old July 15th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #7
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

+1000 to avoid the salt. As long as there's no recent salt, salt buildups or snow, I'm riding. Last year I put her away mid-December and took her out near the end of February. So it's pretty feasible as long as you take it easy, go relatively straight roads, and realize that your tires and the roads are cold.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #8
liltenatattoo
ninjette.org member

Name: Tena

Motorcycle(s): 2008 blue 250r "KameSane"

i'd have to say the past couple winters we haven't had much snow to begin with. and i just drive very very careful not to hit the gravel/sand. (i think 2007 was the best)
liltenatattoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #9
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

** gloat gloat** "i just had too"...
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Really mild winter in R I. I actually wasted money putting stabil in tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #11
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

No way. Unless you really want to find out why they call it Black Ice. That **** can be formed on the road even if there's no rain or snow in the forecast. All it takes is a little ground fog or condensation and you're on your ass wondering how you got there. Riding on 2 wheels in below freezing temperatures...you might as well take up Russian Roulette as a hobby too. Plus there's always the chance of snow. One of the editors of a bike magazine got caught in a freak snowstorm in northern California. After sitting under an overpass for a while he tried to make it to the nearest exit 100 yards away. He got about 6' before the bike came out from under him, falling on his leg and breaking his ankle. It's just not worth the risk.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #12
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
No way. Unless you really want to find out why they call it Black Ice. That **** can be formed on the road even if there's no rain or snow in the forecast. All it takes is a little ground fog or condensation and you're on your ass wondering how you got there. Riding on 2 wheels in below freezing temperatures...you might as well take up Russian Roulette as a hobby too. Plus there's always the chance of snow. One of the editors of a bike magazine got caught in a freak snowstorm in northern California. After sitting under an overpass for a while he tried to make it to the nearest exit 100 yards away. He got about 6' before the bike came out from under him, falling on his leg and breaking his ankle. It's just not worth the risk.
Saw that story.
Posted via Mobile Device
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #13
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I ride year round . Rain snow sleet or hail. If it is very bad . Like deep snow I ride a 50cc scooter . Ice is the only problem. This was my street and alley last year .A pipe broke on both sides of my house. Not my pipes . But th eice traped me in.But once I got to the main road I was fine.I don,t have a car. But I do have heated gloves and vest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photos 052.jpg (121.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg photos 057.jpg (184.1 KB, 0 views)
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #14
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Michigan is great for riding a Motorcycle from Late Nov. till End of March!!!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #15
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

i had a friend that rode his bike year round in omaha. i know what you all are thinking but a mid-west winter can be worse than a north eat one. Omaha is notorious for whipping winds that cause wind chills in the -20s. he only had a 5 mile ride to work, but he threw every piece of cold weather gear he had on. his thing was he only had a minivan and his cbr, so his wife won the car everytime!!! It makes me cold just thinking about it

The good news is two fold: 1) i now live in paradise with year round riding, and 2) "at least i got chicken"
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM   #16
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

How bad do you want to ride? There is plenty of good cold weather gear out there, layers work the best. Key parts to keep warm; hands and head. I don't ride when there has been ice or snow on the road and since I have only three or four routes to work I can check them out in the cage before I go. I never really did put the ninja to bed last year, just rode less. Besides - you get some great looks and comments when you it's 15 deg and you are commuting

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:38 AM   #17
sugarbear
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2004 BMW 1150RT

There is the heated gear option available. Gerbing makes heated jackets, vests, gloves, and even socks... Depends on how bad you are jonesin' for a ride during winter. As mentioned previously, avoid wet roads at or below freezing temps. Also, watch out for that road salt. It can do nasty things to a motorcycle's delicate parts. It's best to wait until a good hard rain has washed the salt off and the roads are dry. Even with heated gear, anything under 20 degrees and I'm taking the car.
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM   #18
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
You must realy be a die hard biker Sugarbear. My limit is under 40 degrees, but I also do not have any haeted gear.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:56 AM   #19
sugarbear
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2004 BMW 1150RT

Nope, Snake. I'm just a cream puff Biker Babe I just like to keep warm for the occasional winter ride!
Besides, you don't get much cold weather or snow down south. Ya'll don't need heated gear!
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM   #20
ScorpionNinja

hehe yea, i agree with SB. Coldest temp i rode in was in april, had a low of 35-37 degrees that morning in SPRING? WTF?

rode to work with a T-shirt on, over that i wore my scorpion Hatrick jacket (With BOTH liners in), scorpion deuce riding pants over jeans. basically only my NECK FROOZE! no scarf or nutin to wear under my helm, or with it! my face or head didnt get cold at all, just my NECK!
also my hands got chilled pretty good, only wearing alpinestars SP-X leather/mesh gloves! (ill have to get a nice pair of scorpions XDR glvoes a try (supposed to be good for waterproof and cold weather riding). my Feet were fine in the ICON boots i mentioned around this site b4.

Old July 21st, 2009, 04:30 PM   #21
ScorpionNinja

Oh also ill add... i Wont Ride all season long. you could in michigan... in the SNOW you would have to use BOTH feet/legs as snowmoblie 'SKIs' while flying down the road. (making shifting fun)

but on those nice warmer days in March, early April.... i dont wanna go out to DODGE all these KILLER POTHOLEs!!! they can be really bad.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:27 AM   #22
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

I ride as much as I can in the winter. I will usually not ride for a while after it snows because they like to use a lot of cinders (small rocks) here, and I wait a little bit for them to be swept off. You still have to be very careful of piles of them at intersections.

I have ridden down to about 27 I believe, but that was a short trip. The worst was a 5 hour ride at 35 degrees.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote