Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old August 1st, 2015, 04:01 PM   #1
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 ABS

First helmet!

Just got a bunch of my gear today. Had only been ridong in my condo parking lot since I had nothing. Got a jacket, helmet, and gloves. Still need to find some really comfy and nice looking riding shoes.

Love or hate the helmet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150801_175827.jpg (58.9 KB, 24 views)
Jasonm163 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

The color isn't my style, but that's a nice helmet! I'm sure you'll be happy with it for a long time.

I'd strongly recommend you get some good armored pants as well as boots. Legs and feet are the most commonly injured body parts in crashes.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 1st, 2015, 04:43 PM   #3
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

Yes I am looking on revzilla right now for shoes. Pants ill have to wait until I can try on a few. And yeah the color seems to be very love or hate so I understand. I think it looks pretty awesome in the sunlight, super gold looking.

They had one other that I liked more with green, blue, pink, purple, and a cartoon bomb on the front but it was $730 and this one was marked down from $730 to $500 since it was an older graphic and didn't have some fancy anti fog screen. I do think I want to order either a gold or black screen for it though. I think itll help w the color scheme

Old August 1st, 2015, 04:59 PM   #4
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
I like your helmet!

Arais are very comfortable.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2015, 07:00 PM   #5
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

You keep saying shoes, I'm assuming you mean quality boots.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

Yes sorry, noob mis speaking. Some boots. I just do not want tall racing type boots. Preferably something I can ride in, then walk into the grocery store and grab some items etc without it being super uncomfortable.

Old August 1st, 2015, 08:01 PM   #7
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Avoid Laces, I learned that years a go on pedal bikes, avoid laces!

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:16 PM   #8
asdfman
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Name: asdfman

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 held together by duct tape and zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
I'd strongly recommend you get some good armored pants as well as boots. Legs and feet are the most commonly injured body parts in crashes.
Just wondering, could it be possible that legs and feet are the most commonly injured only because a lot of riders don't wear riding pants and riding boots/shoes?
asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2015, 04:59 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfman View Post
Just wondering, could it be possible that legs and feet are the most commonly injured only because a lot of riders don't wear riding pants and riding boots/shoes?

The first time something whacks you in the shin at 70 mph you'll change your mind about boots.

The first time you look at road rash pictures you'll change your mind about wearing jeans.

Just my $0.02, but riding gear is about dealing with conditions while riding and possibly crashing, not while getting a Slurpee at the 7-11.

Your call, but low "riding shoes" are little more than sneakers.

Proper boots need not make you look like a Power Ranger. Just look for stuff marketed as "touring."

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2015, 04:59 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfman View Post

The first time something whacks you in the shin at 70 mph you'll change your mind about boots.

The first time you look at road rash pictures you'll change your mind about wearing jeans.

Just my $0.02, but riding gear is about dealing with conditions while riding and possibly crashing, not while getting a Slurpee at the 7-11.

Proper boots need not make you look like a Power Ranger. Just look for stuff marketed as "touring."

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #11
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

You can always get "In" style boots as well. Mine are and with Kevlar riding jeans look good plus my leathers are made to work with them.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #12
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
As far as boots go, you need motorcycle specific, I myself have OXTAR brand boots, and two of them are the MATRIX, one full leather for winter, and leather/textile for summer. They both have Gortex lining, and CE armour in the ankle and shin area.

Oxtar has since been renamed TXC, but they still offer a similar models.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor.../oxtar/matrix/

http://www.revzilla.com/tcx-boots

As far as pants good, I would suggest overpants, Bohn bodyguard system, which is worn underneath regular clothing, a perfect match for those Kevlar jeans IMHO.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #13
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

Awesome. Thanks to all for the input. I am considering the full boots now as several of you mentioned and I have found quite a few that look nice as well.

Old August 4th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #14
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonm163 View Post
Awesome. Thanks to all for the input. I am considering the full boots now as several of you mentioned and I have found quite a few that look nice as well.
There are 28 bones in each of your feet and ankles, and 25% of all the bones in your body are found below your shins. Hopefully those numbers are enough to urge you to wear protective boots or shoes to keep you happily riding (and walking) for years to come.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old August 4th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #15
asdfman
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Name: asdfman

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 held together by duct tape and zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

Well, I wasn't saying you shouldn't wear boots and pants. I was just saying perhaps there are less injuries (percentage-wise) to the upper body and head because more people wear jackets/gloves and helmets so they're protected more often in a crash. Therefore, there could be a bit of a bias in saying legs and feet get injured more often because more riders don't protect them.

That being said, I did a bit of Googling and 30% of injuries happen to legs and feet, which is a pretty significant portion: https://rideapart.com/articles/body-...torcycle-crash
asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #16
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I wear those TourMaster boots and have no trouble walking around in them. The soles are like office shoes, so you do have some tread, but there isn't a whole lot so hiking in them is tough. However, for just walking into a store or up the street to a shop is no big deal.

Wear socks though, blisters from those boots suck!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #17
Ghostt
in your machine

I feel the need to share this posting from the EX-500.COM that happened back in 2009, but it's a timeless story,

the lessons from my mistake (somewhat graphic, be careful)

It's a simple enough story, that went totally wrong, by a fellow forum member by the name of mgbenny

Here is his first post in the long thread, which has over 30,000 views.

Quote:
So. I'm going to try to be direct and straightforward in hopes that anyone who reads this will learn better than I seem to have learned. I made many, many mistakes in the course of this story and I'm aware of them all. If you want to flame, flame away, but I'm already sick over what happened and just don't want it to happen to anyone else.

I had my first wreck Thursday night. I had a passenger, which changed the handling of the bike, and I wasn't careful enough. A turn snuck up on us in the dark, and I ran out of lean and lowsided at about 35 mph. We were just going around the corner for a burrito; no gear, no helmets. (not even going to begin to rationalize any of this. Like I said, this was all a result of many bad decisions on my part, and I completely accept that).

I'm sure we only slid for a second or so but I remember it vividly. The bike threw up a storm of sparks, she landed on me and we went over and over. I remember every time she came over me, I was trying to keep her off the asphalt. Then everything stopped and was silent, and the sickest single moment of my life occurred as I thought "I've killed a person. I've killed her." Then time started up again and she started crying. I called my friend from around the corner who took us to the hospital, where I sat with her for 8 hours while she got checked out.

The damages: I've lost lots of skin. I mean, lots. I've never hurt this badly in my life. It was just skin and I'm uninsured, so I thought "I'll take care of it myself." and declined admission to the ER. Scrubbing it out without morphine is the single most painful 30 minutes I've ever felt.

As far as she goes: she's pretty damn rashed up. Probably worse than me. She split her head open over her eyebrow, and it's swelled her eye shut. Two inches to the left and she would have died instantly. She came down hard on her hip and knee, and can't bend them for the swelling. Her x-rays came back clean, so no broken bones. She's medicated, safe at home, and never wants to see me again. I wouldn't either.

Listen up kids. When you ride 2-up, you take somebody's life in your hands. You had damn well better be prepared for that responsibility. I've spend quite a bit of time today sitting on the floor of my room sobbing that I'm such a jackass that I almost took a life. I took responsibility for another person and failed miserably. It's the sickest feeling in the world and I want to spare you all from it. I would give anything in my entire life for the last two days to have never happened.

Pictures below for the strong of stomach, in hopes of scaring you all into being wise. I would accept this unblinkingly as a damn good warning, had I been alone. But someone I care about is in even worse shape, and I am 100% responsible. I never wanted to know what that feels like.

All but the last photo were taken in the hospital bathroom while she was being x-rayed.

Right arm:

Left arm. This one bled for 10 hours:

Left hand. Note the missing skin. By now, 2 days later, it's peeled back about another half-inch around the abrasion:

Left leg. These were my good, heavy pants. They lasted about 6 inches:

Shoulder to waist. If you look closely, you can see all the buttons ripped out of the shirt and I dragged on that side. There's gravel so deep on my pec that I'll never get it out:

At home:

The nurse sent extra stuff with Catie so I could get cleaned up too. What she didn't send was the several vials of morphine that Catie had in her when then scrubbed her out. Tylenol isn't the same. I screamed, threw up, and passed out cleaning these. And the whole time I'm dealing with the fact that I knew better and was in control, and I did this to somebody else who did NOT have control. Day 2, and it's not any easier to live with.

I tried to be completely frank about how I'm feeling in an effort to make the truth set in on you guys. I was a literal 2 inches away from killing her, because I thought we didn't need gear to go 5 blocks, and because she liked the thrill of leaning and I wanted to impress her. Nobody's impressed now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:54:14 AM by mgbenny »
I consider MGBENNY, my close forum friend, and that is why I'm sharing this, along with my other personal friend Britney "QUEEN B" Morrow's story and website (www.rockthegear.org) on all my post as part of my signature.

And why I'm such a strong supporter of her cause, and A.T.G.A.T.T.

If this post saves just one person, it is worth it, and makes one think before riding with no gear.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old August 4th, 2015, 11:40 AM   #18
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Sweet helmet!!!

Old August 4th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #19
Urban Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Kate

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, Yamaha TTR 125

Where did you get that helmet?? I've never seen a graphic like that on an Arai. Is that the RX-Q or Signet-Q model?

Old August 11th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #20
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

It is the Aria RX-Q Vibe. I believe they just recently stopped the graphic. I bought it at moto liberty in dallas texas.

I also just ordered some alpinestar S-MX 3 air boots last Friday, should be here next week!

Old August 21st, 2015, 12:17 PM   #21
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
Legs and feet are the most commonly injured body parts in crashes.
Can confirm, still have limited feeling in a part of my leg from my crash a couple years ago.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #22
Country Joe
Grouchy Old Squid

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 1993 Yamaha FJ 1200 ABS, 1990 Yamaha FJ 1200, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonm163 View Post
It is the Aria RX-Q Vibe. I believe they just recently stopped the graphic. I bought it at moto liberty in dallas texas.

I also just ordered some alpinestar S-MX 3 air boots last Friday, should be here next week!
Great choice of helmet and boots! ATGATT. I have proven the value of gear for myself. It makes me cringe to see ungeared riders, but most of them will have to learn the hard way. I'm glad to see that you are not going the hard way.
Country Joe is offline   Reply With Quote