ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

New competition from Suzuki - GSX-R 250

LINK. What do you guys think? Gotta love more little bikes.
Twisthem488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:24 PM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Huh. Would be worth a look. I'm still not sure what my bike future will look like- will I like the little bikes, or will I want to step up? I don't know yet!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2016, 04:39 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
In that form -- i.e. what looks like an actual sportbike -- it isn't going to happen for the U.S.

A small but vocal group of enthusiasts really, really wants a true small-displacement sportbike. There aren't enough of us to make it a viable model.

In this country, small-displacement bikes are not particularly sport-oriented. They can be made so via the aftermarket, but stock they don't come with things like clip-ons or aggressive ergos. Face it... the Ninjette is an upright commuter bike with a fancy fairing. Always has been. Ditto pretty much everything else out there.

What drives the small-displacement market is rules in other countries, most notably the A2 restriction. All of the current 300-ish class machines are made to hit that limit.

If Suzuki does jump onto the little-bike bandwagon, it'll most likely be with a machine that competes directly against the Ninjette, RC390, CBR300 and R3. It'll probably be a parallel twin. It won't be a 250... it'll have displacement similar to the others. It won't be as interesting at that vaporware rendering.

In other words, another A2 bike a whole lot like every other A2 bike.

At this price point, there just isn't a whole lot of room for differentiation. Move up the food chain and you have different displacements (i.e. 600 vs. 636 vs. 675 vs. 750 vs. 959), V-twins, triples and inline fours, all kinds of electronic rider aids, different suspension choices up to and including full Ohlins race bits, conventional vs. single-sided swing arms, titanium exhausts, etc. etc. etc.

Down at the bottom end, it's either a single or a parallel twin, non-adjustable damper-rod forks, preload-adjust-only shock, single-disc brake up front and a steel frame. Unless I'm mistaken, that describes every small bike on the U.S. market. Some have ABS, and at least one comes with a slipper clutch. But for the most part, they're all cast from the same mold. The only one that really stands out in my view is the RC390.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 04:43 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Huh. Would be worth a look. I'm still not sure what my bike future will look like- will I like the little bikes, or will I want to step up? I don't know yet!
If you follow the pattern...

Yes, you will want to step up. You will buy a bigger bike, and then find out for yourself why you liked the little bike so much. Eventually, you'll have another little bike.

Having a big bike is worth the experience. It's a whole different thing. I'm there right now and loving it. But yeah... there's another small bike in my future.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:29 AM   #5
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

Yes, you will want to step up. You will buy a bigger bike, and then find out for yourself why you liked the little bike so much. Eventually, you'll have another little bike.

Having a big bike is worth the experience. It's a whole different thing. I'm there right now and loving it. But yeah... there's another small bike in my future.
I've been up and down over the last 30 years or so. Started out on 250cc enduro's, then moved to 900cc and 1100cc sport bikes, then took a break and now am on 250cc sport bikes. Even though I'm looking for a bigger bike for 2 up riding with the wife, I'll still keep one of the little 250 Ninjas for fun.

While I don't think the 250 GSXR will be anything earth shattering, another small bike from a major manufacturer is not a bad thing.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2016, 06:37 AM   #6
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Quote:
In that form -- i.e. what looks like an actual sportbike -- it isn't going to happen for the U.S.

Down at the bottom end, it's either a single or a parallel twin, non-adjustable damper-rod forks, preload-adjust-only shock, single-disc brake up front and a steel frame. Unless I'm mistaken, that describes every small bike on the U.S. market. Some have ABS, and at least one comes with a slipper clutch. But for the most part, they're all cast from the same mold. The only one that really stands out in my view is the RC390.
This post nails the situation. Suzuki is the last to the small bike party, so they're going to have a hard time convincing anyone to give them a shot. What can they do that Kawasaki, Honda, and Yamaha haven't been doing already?

I still want my 300-400cc triple, but I know that's not happening

Last futzed with by kdogg2077; March 23rd, 2016 at 06:38 AM. Reason: type
kdogg2077 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 06:39 AM   #7
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Probably a Japan or Euro only bike.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2016, 09:44 AM   #8
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:

I'm glad to hear the little bikes continue to be fun.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:49 PM   #9
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:

A small but vocal group of enthusiasts really, really wants a true small-displacement sportbike. There aren't enough of us to make it a viable model.

In this country, small-displacement bikes are not particularly sport-oriented. They can be made so via the aftermarket, but stock they don't come with things like clip-ons or aggressive ergos. Face it... the Ninjette is an upright commuter bike with a fancy fairing. Always has been. Ditto pretty much everything else out there.

What drives the small-displacement market is rules in other countries, most notably the A2 restriction. All of the current 300-ish class machines are made to hit that limit.

If Suzuki does jump onto the little-bike bandwagon, it'll most likely be with a machine that competes directly against the Ninjette, RC390, CBR300 and R3. It'll probably be a parallel twin. It won't be a 250... it'll have displacement similar to the others. It won't be as interesting at that vaporware rendering.

In other words, another A2 bike a whole lot like every other A2 bike.

At this price point, there just isn't a whole lot of room for differentiation. Move up the food chain and you have different displacements (i.e. 600 vs. 636 vs. 675 vs. 750 vs. 959), V-twins, triples and inline fours, all kinds of electronic rider aids, different suspension choices up to and including full Ohlins race bits, conventional vs. single-sided swing arms, titanium exhausts, etc. etc. etc.

I totally agree with you.

But let me add that you can be proud bc you own what can be said: 'Thus, the GSX-R 750 can proudly adorn entitled 'first and last 750cc Superbike".'

From the report '30 years Suzuki GSX-R750'
"Therefore Suzuki participated for reasons of prestige with the GSX-R 750 at the 24 Hours of Le Mans - and won right away. 24 hours continuous full throttle on the legendary course and the new 750-Suzuki skipped out of the competition with 1000 cubic."
because: "Pessimists doubted at IFMA, however, that the motor power could withstand permanently."

Please use a translator when you read the German report about the GSX-R750 http://www.heise.de/autos/artikel/30...s-2794309.html
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2016, 05:46 AM   #10
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:

Couldn't agree with this more. For my first bike was whichever bike my dad wasn't riding that I bummed off of him (fz1000 and hypermotard). Then I bought my ninja 250, and I love it. I ride his bike every now and then, and I love them in their own way, but If I could only have one bike it would definitely be a small cc bike (maybe a R3 or something else, but it definitely wouldn't be a 600 or a 1000).

Old March 29th, 2016, 11:36 AM   #11
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

I would LOVE to see a competitive SPORT small bike, instead of the econo, cost effective bikes we have now. Dont get me wrong, I love my 300, but even to this noob, its shortcomings in chassis, suspension, ergo, and brakes are apparent. I would pay a premium for a new small sport bike with the same tech and quality put in it as the 600s and 1000s. Will enough people be willing to put nearly the same money into a 250-400cc bike as something that makes twice the power or beyond? Probably not enough to make a profit on, which is a shame.